FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 1 very laggy

Alienz
It is very slow when I visit my site and frihost forum. Especially my initial access to the site and frihost forum, it took me few minutes to finished loading.

I tried to ping frihost.com and always get "Request timed out". Tried also tracecert, at 17 to 30 hop it get "Request timed out" .
Sunny
Alienz wrote:
I tried to ping frihost.com and always get "Request timed out". Tried also tracecert, at 17 to 30 hop it get "Request timed out" .

When you ping a site, it sends the data back and thats how you get the reply. But few servers are NOT configuered to do so for security reasons or the firewall blocks it, so all you get is "request timeout". But that doesn't means server is slow/down. Wink
Alienz
Sunny wrote:
When you ping a site, it sends the data back and thats how you get the reply. But few servers are NOT configuered to do so for security reasons or the firewall blocks it, so all you get is "request timeout". But that doesn't means server is slow/down. Wink

But whenever I want to visit frihost forum or my site it took more than a minute to load. Even my members from my site saying it is very laggy.
Bondings
Quote:
[ Time: 0.4382s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0057s) ][ Debug on ]

From your footer.

I agree that the server is slow from time to time, but it is already much better than a few months ago. And most of the time, the pages load immediately for me.
Alienz
Bondings wrote:

From your footer.

I agree that the server is slow from time to time, but it is already much better than a few months ago. And most of the time, the pages load immediately for me.

I see. Thanks.
Daniel15
Server 1 does lag sometimes due to high server loads. I'm sure that Bondings has figured out what causes the load, as the server is a lot better than a few months ago.

However, sometimes the server load reaches 9 or even higher (Which is really bad, considering it shouldn't be over '1').

EDIT: Neutral Sad
Quote:
Personally, if the server load is around 4.00 24/7 and we're talking about a server with a single processor, I would suspect something is wrong: overselling or overloading. In that case, just to make sure I would never face serious problems, I would ask my host to do something about the server load or move my website to a server with a lower server load. If the response I get would not please me, I'd look for a new host.

(source: http://www.cyberindian.com/web-hosting/article.php?article_id=153)
Unfortunately, something similar is happening with server 1. I believe it's due to some user running a stupid script, or someone taking lots of backups or something. The server load seems to always go up about now (2:00-3:00PM GMT+11) and then eventually works it way back down. The advice I give to all FriHosters is to only make backups if you need them, only use one statistics program, and try use optimised PHP scripts that reduce CPU usage.
n0obie4life
daniel15, perfect Wink.

So, at least I know I'm not the only one. Bondings has to wake up at 3am to chcek what's causing this everyday, although what he suspects is a user running a script (not through cron), causing mySQL to crash.
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
The server load seems to always go up about now (2:00-3:00PM GMT+11) and then eventually works it way back down.

It starts at 4am GMT+1 (server time) and goes on for up to 2 hours and then gets back to normal. It crashes the mysql and already crashed the server twice. The problem is that I still have no idea what causes this high load. I'm still searching for it. Sad
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
daniel15 wrote:
The server load seems to always go up about now (2:00-3:00PM GMT+11) and then eventually works it way back down.

It starts at 4am GMT+1 (server time) and goes on for up to 2 hours and then gets back to normal. It crashes the mysql and already crashed the server twice. The problem is that I still have no idea what causes this high load. I'm still searching for it. Sad

Can the data centre do anything about it? Or if it's a cron job, could you just log the results of cron jobs, including server load, memory usage, etc.?
Bondings
I just found out that the daily cron jobs are starting at that hour. I'm executing them now and as you might see now, the load is jumping very high at the moment.
bogden
thanks for taking the time to describe what's going on; it's always the most frustrating to not even know why something isn't working.