FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sorry to break a forum rule. A new language thread.

shabda
It says not to request any new languages, except german? But no reason is given. So if you are so sure about it might you consider giving reasons?
I suggest a hindi thread. Please dont say you have not heard of this language, coz then im gonna jump.
Reasons for a hindi thread.
1. There are enough hindi speaking people here. I can tell that, coz I can tell from the name if someone is from India. If bondings want to check it, he might see his site anlytics to see people from india.
2. At least two of the mods are from India, tidruG and someone named like bachmulla or something.
3. Hindi is third largest spoken language in the world.
4. by the above reasons, IM sure it wont be a deserted thread.
n0obie4life
I'm not going to close this.

But..

if there's hindi, there's chinese/mandarin too Very Happy
Bondings
There won't be any other language forums, sorry.
shabda
Quote:
There won't be any other language forums, sorry.

Of course ans admin you have the right, but can you give us some reasons?
Also noobie sorry about the double *new post* the page was not refreshing, im still on dial up, so it happened.
Bondings
One of the main reasons is that I completely don't understand the language.
manumiglani
well i think hindi shd be added here.

i have my reasons reasons for that

1) Hindi is the second largest spoken language in the world, spoken by more than 500 million people.

2) Hindi is a direct descendant of Sanskrit which is the best language for writting computer codes.

3) no. of people who speak english in other countries than India.

Quote:
100,000 in USA
685,170 Mauritius
890,292 in South Africa
232,760 in Yemen
147,000 in Uganda
5,000 in Singapore
8 million in Nepal
20,000 in New Zealand
30,000 in Germany

4) there are many hindi portals like www.webdunia.com www.prabhasakshi.com
Quote:

5) Urdu, the official language of Pakistan, spoken by about 41 million in Pakistan and other countries, is essentially the same language

6) Hindi has given many words to many popular languages like english, arabic etc.

why it would be good to add hindi language to this forum :

-well it is understand and spoken by more people than english
-there are less websites, forums in hindi than in english, so less compitetion.
-there are a lot of hindi speaking people on frihost.
-will increase loyalty to the community.

i also understand the administative problems as who would moderate hindi forums, but there are quite a few people who understand hindi on this board, i think there are some moderators from India on your forums ,

i have seen some post that you are thinking of adding german, but there are not enough people who understand this language. why dont add hindi also ?

there are not much good reasons of not adding hindi on frihost.

Quote:
One of the main reasons is that I completely don't understand the language.

there bondings is thinking and taking frihost as an individual's not as a community.

if you permit me than can i make a thread where everyone will give there signatures in support of adding hindi in the forums ?

i request further dicussion as well.

Manu Miglani
n0obie4life
Bondings, you CAN trust your moderators to translate it right...?
shabda
I we promise not to call you names in languages which you donot understand. There are enough people to moderate mandarin(noobie4life) and hindi(one of two existing mods i mentioned). If you are worried about spam, im sure someone will come up with some idea. If you worry that there wont be any relevent enough adsense ads and low CTR, I dont have ideas about that but I think it should not be a problem.
Even if you disregard other reasons this one should be a clincher.
Quote:
will increase loyalty to the community.
Marston
How does an extra language forum create increased loyalty to the community?
Sunny
One reason I can think of is most of the indians can also talk in english so there's no real communication gap. But one thing which does goes in its favour is that there are lot of indians here.
manumiglani
Marston wrote:

loyalty will certainly increase if you give people what they want. if you give them the freedom to write, read and post in their own language. they will certainly be more loyal if you give them quality content in their own language.... they will certainly visit the forums more often then the other language forums.

we can discuss it futher if anyone wants to .....

Manu Miglani
shabda
Quote:

For one Ill not have to visit a different site to interact in my language. And sunny, btw are you from India?
mOrpheuS
One thing that never got any attention in all the debate was : how does one type in Hindi ? Confused

No doubt there are sites which have Hindi fonts and run Hindi articles...but I'm yet to find a way to type in Hindi without spending ages typing just a few lines.
Have you seen the keyboard layouts for Hindi wordprocessors ?
Or tried to memorize the numerous keyboard combinations needed to produce every character of the Hindi alphabet ?
I did...I was not encouraged. d'oh!

Or do you suggest that the communication be Hindi written in Roman script ? Which, in my opinion, will be no better.

besides, Sunny has a valid point... most Indian (including the Hindi speakers) computer users have atleast a working knowledge of english too.
A part of my job here is to keep a watch on people's posts, and trust me, there are far fewer Indian people having problems with English than other people who don't have English as their first language.

offtopic : Hindi is not very well supported in computers and popular software...I remember installing the Hindi language pack for windows XP the day it was released and I also remember uninstalling it within the first few minutes...
Heck even the error messages were funny ! Laughing

p.s. - n0ob, hijacking threads is not a good thing, you know Wink
n0obie4life
p.s. mOrpheuS - this is an unofficial protest, you know Wink.

Besides, mOrp, everyone knows how you envy people who can type Hindi on their PCs while you can't Rolling Eyes
shabda
Morpheas are you from india? Blood Traitor! You should be supporting me. On a serios note, see there is no dearth of people from India. As for typing in Hindi, man you are living ages back. If you have rs1000(20$) to spare, visit http://www.aksharamala.com/, a really good hindi typing software. If you want a free one, get a Hindi thread here and ill tell you how to type in hindi *almost* effortlessly and free.
shabda
Quote:
Or do you suggest that the communication be Hindi written in Roman script ?

Utna bhi difficult hani hai bhai.(This was hindi in roman)
Quote:
Sunny has a valid point... most Indian (including the Hindi speakers) computer users have atleast a working knowledge of english too.

So every user here will have at least a working language of englist to be able to communicate.
Quote:
Hindi is not very well supported in computers and popular software

No language is as well supported as English, compared to most non roman scripts Hindi is very well supported.
n0obie4life
shabda wrote:
Morpheas

Morpheas doesn't come from india.

mOrpheuS comes from India.

Anyway, there should be Mandarin forum too Rolling Eyes

Btw, I think you'd teach mOrpheuS how to type hindi, he's angry Surprised.
Devil
i dont think it is inportant , cuz for me any indian who has a pc , can speak english as good as british Laughing
shabda
Quote:
Anyway, there should be Mandarin forum too

I fully support that. Obviously for my intersts.
Quote:
Btw, I think you'd teach mOrpheuS how to type hindi, he's angry

Yeah, and plus he is a mod.
Quote:
i dont think it is inportant , cuz for me any indian who has a pc , can speak english as good as british

No take me as example. I can speak better. Huh. But thats not the point. Even if I can talk in english, sometimes hindi is needed. If there were a hindi forum, Morpheus would have known how to type hindi by now.
manumiglani
Quote:
uh. But thats not the point. Even if I can talk in english, sometimes hindi is needed.

yeah, i agree to that hindi is needed too.........

Manu Miglani
sudha
After going through all these discussions Rolling Eyes
One thing is clear the Hindi spoken people in our Domain is large
Shocked

I fully Support The idea for Hindi Thread.
This will surely enhance communication among large faction.
Hope very soon we find one thread.

Idea i have an idea .......
Allow Hindi words in english translatted form called HinGlish.
this will avoid use of new software and also avoid not need to spend time knowing a new lamguage from scratch. Arrow
this will also not need any hardware changes required.
shabda
Quote:
this will also not need any hardware changes required.

No new hardware is needed. If you are hell bent on wasting money, 1 5$ hindi keyboard will suffice. Thats the max.
tidruG
My first post in this thread...
Anyway, I half-support the Hindi forum idea. However, no way in hell am I going to go to the trouble of learning the Devnagri character script layout on my keyboard. Also no chance in hell I'm going to buy a keyboard to post in Hindi Razz

However, I don't mind a Hindi forum in which we're supposed to type in the Roman script, though we'll probably need a couple more mods for the forum, seeing as how I don't have enough time to do much Mod duties of late, owing to college... certainly the Indian/Hindi-speaking community is pretty large here, though.
nam_siddharth
The community will even larger, if it will include Urdu. Hindi and Urdu are sister languages. They have only different script. So I support Hindi+Urdu(two in one) forum in roman script.

For sure, adding Hindi forum will increase popularity of the frihost.com, after all we are the 2nd largest community of the world.

There are at least 3 Hindi knowing moderator here, as far I know. So Hindi forum can be easily checked for spam or any bad thread. More importent topics can be translated by any Hindi knowing moderator for Bondings
shabda
Quote:
no way in hell am I going to go to the trouble of learning the Devnagri character script layout on my keyboard. Also no chance in hell I'm going to buy a keyboard to post in Hindi

There is a woraround for that if you are willing to shell some money.(Basically a software which allows to type in hindi using roman phonetics, its damn easy.
But even a Hindi/Other Indic Languages(Though I am not so sure) thread in roman mightno6t be a bad idea.
Bondings
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I really won't add any other language forum on Frihost.
-close-