FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP or Photoshop

what grapgic editor is better
GIMP
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Adobe Photoshop
71%
 71%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 28

JayBee
What do you prefere?
Sappho
You cant even compare these two, couse Photoshop is way better in almost every aspect as a leader in that field. But Gimp is atleast free what i know about. Smile
snowflake
I used to use GIMP, now I use Photoshop, which I like much more. Smile
shabda
They are petty much complementary, if you use linux you are limited to gimp. But if you have the money, photoshop is so much better.
Mark00
I agree, but GIMP is more of a basic graphic tool, very usefull for quickly editing some pics or graphics, but Photoshop is a much more complex and sophisticated so it gives you MUCH better results. You cant really create new graphics in GIMP, but makeing a metalic texture for a logo in Photoshop can be done in 2 minutes.
DX-Blog
GIMP is nice for if you won't want to use paint for some quick editing, otherwise photoshop is the way to go. If you use linux though GIMP is about the best you'll have.
GB
I love Photoshop and that would be my choice no matter what, but I'm a little surprised that other graphics programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia's Fireworks, Corel's program, or JASC Paint Shop Pro aren't on the list. I'd be curious to find out how some of the lower cost alternatives compare to GIMP and Photoshop as well. For example, if you're going to spend money on a graphics program, do you go ahead and buy the most expensive program out there or do you get a cheaper alternative, or do you prefer free?

Questions to ponder.
Sappho
GB u cannot compare Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Photoshop thats two different solutions for two different fields of graphics. Its like comparing 3DS Max to Flash. Illustrator is for vector graphics and Photoshop is for bitmap graphics.

Anyway it would be illogical from Adobe to create two applications for the same thing. Wink
shabda
Quote:
GB u cannot compare Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Photoshop

But photoshop and paintshop pro might be compared. So what are your views on two similar softwares?
Kotwik
You shouldn't do this topic. Of course the best program is Photoshop.
Sappho
shabda wrote:
Quote:
GB u cannot compare Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Photoshop

But photoshop and paintshop pro might be compared. So what are your views on two similar softwares?

Of course u can compare those two, but GB mentioned Adobe Illustrator Wink

And between Photoshop and Paintshop? I would go for Photoshop all the way, as far as i am concerned Adobe Photoshop is leader in bitmap editing solutions. There is ofcourse Corel Painter, which took different way, that one is trying to simulate the standard techniques like acryl, oil, pastel... and it really is the best solution for ppl that look for features like that. But bitmap editing its like synonym for Photoshop. Smile
Eyre
use them in combination and it pwns. Photoshop's path system sucks beyond belief, so i use GIMP to render images and photoshop to do stuff with them. Also, GIMP is quicker than Photoshop for a lot of computers (PS takes up loads of RAM). So yeah, i prefer them both.
BearClaw
i'd have to agree with photoshop on this one. its soo widely used that you can find near any brush or filter you could think of. sure gimp is free but...the community just isn't there.
ujjeh
Hi everyone!

Photoshop owns every design. It has the best template ever. Well, none of them are compared to Dreamweaver MX.
pll
Gimp have more and really best fileters than photoshop... But to make webdesigns it's not the best I think.

Photoshop rules!
kido
I vote for Photoshop. But can you add an option called Wad is GIMP. if you add it. I'll vote for it....

Whats a GIMP, can i eat it?
Bakusozoku
loolllllll
"Whats a GIMP, can i eat it?"..
You killed me man Very Happy
I voe Photoshop too, incredibale program... and over trillion tutorials for it...
But I should try GIMP too... maybe it has something interesting.
sanstitre1
I prefer free softs and/or opensource sollution, so I prefer The GIMP , I also suggest Paint.NET
I think that Macromedia Flash is indisponsibal

---------------
http://getsoft.be
Tomppe
I use Photoshop, it's the best (i think)..
Vut i'm gonna try that "GIMP", maybe better.. Smile
Grimboy
The GIMP hides it's features away, but it is perfectly capable of doing almost everything photoshop can do. I use photoshop because the GIMP leaves trails even when I press undo on my machine. The GIMP runs a hell of a lot faster though. Most of the time I do stuff (like logos and the like) in vector in illistrator.
LukeakaDanish
IMO GIMP rocks because:

Its free (duh) and PS is expensive like ****
Its fast
It hides the controls which gives me more space
Its what im used to using...
Its got almost all the same stuff Photoshop has...and the menu's are easier to navigate

Not that i dont like PS...im just not i millionaire (yet...) Wink
Marston
LukeakaDanish wrote:
IMO GIMP rocks because:

Its free (duh) and PS is expensive like ****
Its fast
It hides the controls which gives me more space
Its what im used to using...
Its got almost all the same stuff Photoshop has...and the menu's are easier to navigate

Not that i dont like PS...im just not i millionaire (yet...) Wink
Photoshop Elements is like $50... You're about $999 950 off there, bud.

Anyways, Photoshop, in my opinion is better because it's alot easier to use than The GIMP. Otherwise, they're virtually the same.
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
Anyways, Photoshop, in my opinion is better because it's alot easier to use than The GIMP.

That is largely down to what your used to i recon...i dont work half as effectively when im forced to use PS
Kai
Photo shop is so much better
Marston
Actually though, I think that Microsoft Paint is probably the best graphic editing application...
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
Actually though, I think that Microsoft Paint is probably the best graphic editing application...

LOL...couldnt agree more...so many newbies make appauling graphics with that program for me to laugh at...definitely the best program...ever Laughing
a_dubDesign
LukeakaDanish wrote:
LOL...couldnt agree more...so many newbies make appauling graphics with that program for me to laugh at...definitely the best program...ever Laughing

That just inspired me to create a site using MS Paint. But then again I'll be using either PS or Image Ready to slice it.
LukeakaDanish
nice one!
GB
Sappho wrote:
GB u cannot compare Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Photoshop thats two different solutions for two different fields of graphics. Its like comparing 3DS Max to Flash. Illustrator is for vector graphics and Photoshop is for bitmap graphics.

Yes, but the question said which graphics program, not which bitmap editor or vector drawing program. Both Illustrator and Photoshop make graphics. Hey, with a topic so wide open as "graphics" I could have put Flash and 3DS in there too.

Basically, I think you highligted my point. "Graphics" is such a wide open topic that we either need to narrow it down or include way more options. Even if it was restricted to photo editors, there are many more photo editor options out there than GIMP and Photoshop, many of which I would imagine others would choose.

One fact that should not be overlooked is that Photoshop is expensive, there are cheaper alternatives out there, and there are free alternatives out there. What I'm curious about is whether or not people like any of the myriad of cheaper programs out there. Are they better than GIMP? Are they good, but if you're going to go cheap, go GIMP?
Phil
Though I'm no master of graphics, I use GIMP. Primarily because of the cost
of Photoshop, but I'm not displeased with GIMP. It does what I want it to.

One bonus of Photshop though, in my opinion, is the support it receives. If you need help there are no less than 23,786,341 web sites and/or books to guide you.
The support for GIMP is no where near that much, though it is getting better.
www.gimptalk.com is an excellent resource.

The latest versions are also getting better, that includes GIMP for Windows.
Itachi
I think Adobe Photoshop blows GIMP outta the water but if you dont have the money to acquire Photoshop then GIMP is the best way to go in my opinion. GIMP for major GIMP users can be almost as effective as photoshop you just have to be alot better because GIMP is more complex

~Itachi
Arcath
photoshop all the way, would't use anything else
UMBlueMusic
I use Adobe Photoshop, but I know a lot of people that use GIMP and their graphics turn out just fine. I think that if you're using Linux, or if you don't have the cash to blow on Photoshop, GIMP is a better alternative than PSP. I've used PSP before and it just can't compare to PS.
d.dozier
ppppppphhhhhhhoooooooottttttttoooooooossssshhhhhhhhooooooppppppp
PaladinWiz
I personally use Photoshop CS2; I recommend it to everyone who is interested in GFX. Very user-friendly and professional at the same time. Created a lot of innovations with the help of Adobe. Cool
strfry
PaladinWiz wrote:
I personally use Photoshop CS2

Did you upgrade from CS1? I have that and I'm really not sure about plopping down more $$$ for CS2. I may wait a few more versions. Wink

If money is no object, Photoshop is best for most image work, in my opinion. I used GIMP for years because I no choice (money). Now that I can afford Photoshop, I'm not going back. Razz

Anyone use that ImageReady thing that comes with CS1 (and prolly CS2)? I haven't figured out why I'd ever want to start that up instead of Photosthop. But, maybe I'm missing out on some really cool tool.
zorindart
Quote:
Photoshop owns every design. It has the best template ever. Well, none of them are compared to Dreamweaver MX

What's better, a footbal team or a basket one?
krazycapital
I would say the gimp every day of the week. I have used photoshop, but i don't like it near as much. There are a few features that the gimp is lacking, but when you think about it, (i'm not sure on this) but I think Adobe has been working for a lot longer than gimp, so you have to think of that. Also, adobe HIRES people to work for a lot of money, gimp is 100% free. Once you learn how to use the gimp (unlike me) you can make some really good graphics. It also loads way faster, and I have tons of brushes and fonts installed. So I vote GIMP all the way.
dac_nip
GIMP..its free, effective and complete. why buy $$ photoshop when you have an alternative that's very reliable. complete with features that you just need. Razz
snowboardalliance
Since I can't afford photoshop, I like the GIMP the best.