FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Home LAN problem

JayBee
I have one big problem with my home network. I want to connect three ore more computers to the internet via Cable modem.
I have only one public IP.
My current configuration is this.
current config

I want better solution. My suggestion is this, but I don't know if it could work.
suggestion

My problems are:

only one public IP
    I want low power consumption sollution
    I want sometime connect directli with my laptop (when i change MAC address, providers DHCP assigned laptop the IP but main computer must be switch off)
    I want connect via some gateway, when all three computers are connected
    I don't want to reconnect everithing, when i want to connect my laptop directli
izcool
What you need is a router instead of a switch or a hub. Switches and hubs plug into routers to make the network work with more computers. It all looks fine to be, but in order to do it right, you need a router. With the router, you can have it specify local IP addresses automatically instead of programming them into Windows. You can do that to keep static IP addresses, but I don't do it very often. Razz Plus, since I have DSL, I have to use a username and password to log on the internet. I have that programmed in my router so I don't have to have it connect to get online.

- Mike.
devroom
We have adsl and our modem is already a router.
to share the connection we have put a switch behind the router and all computers are plugged in the switch.

So look good of what your modem is cappable of ( Confused How do you say that in english?)
JayBee
router is good reason
I can make it from a lot of old HW that i have at home, but it wil eat about 70W
i want it to run 24h a day and i sometimes want to be active
(eg. easy testing of web pages on my computer on linux via XDMCP and cygwin because I'm windows user and linux browsers are sometimes diferretn in parsing HTML)
with router, i thing i wil have lots of problems
Animal
If you're worried about power consumption, don't try to build a router out of old hardware. Non-wireless routers are now very cheap - you can get them for around $50 (less, I'm sure) and they run on low power consumption, and are very easy to set up and administer.

The other option you do have is to set up internet sharing on one computer, configure it to use the cable modem, then connect the other machines to it. This may cause problems if you are trying to run multiple-OS systems though, and you would still need to leave that one computer switched on 24 hours a day in order to access the internet. This will use a load of power too.
toshlad
Routers are a good idea and used specificly for this purpose.

If you give your router and internal IP address of your home network IP scheme (192.168.... or 10.0....) then configure the default gateway ip address on your PCs they will automatically look for the router when trying to find something that is not within your home IP range.

My router is a Linsys WR54G and it uses next to no power at all and I have it configured with a higher power output than normal.

It's very simple to get a few computers to loads of computers all going through the one router.

I hope this helps.
JayBee
OK, OK,
I will earn some money and i will buy router. It's look like the best solution. Lo power consumpion, integrated firewall, DHCP. So everithing i want. I found they have a packet tunneling support, so i could be active in some cases Wink
Thanks
TheGeek
get a router, 4 port routers from d-link are really cheap now a days, and even wireless routers are reasonable these days.
VIPER VENOM
I think tigerdirect offers a either linksys or d-link for about 30 bucks and then give you a 30 dollar mail in rebate.
djclue917
Ok I'll give the two possible topologies that would work for you...

1. Buy a router and use it as your gateway.

Pros - Low power consumption, easy to set-up (just plug-in, configure a little, and you are on the go!)

Cons - You'll need extra money to buy it, configurability depends on the model of the router (of course, this depends on the price. The more expensive, the better -> In theory of course).

2. Use and configure an existing workstation as your gateway.

Pros - You would be able to configure almost every aspect of your network. The configurations would all depend on you; Cheaper (in the sense that you would not need to buy a separate router)

Cons - Higher power consumption, harder to set-up (in the sense that you are dealing with a full OS like Windows or Linux -> if you are not using an advanced router like Cisco ones.)

The network topology used will be the same -> Star topology

Cable modem -> Gateway (router or PC) -> Hub or switch -> Workstations

HTH
wrightbros
If the decision is between a simple little router or a full-on linux firewall/NAT setup, one of the most important differences is that you can easily put apache on the LInux box to have it be a webserver, which is a very nice spot to have it (so no other machine in the house has to open itself up to webserving, only the relatively expendible linux machine). If you don't need a webserver in the house, then probably just a simple router would work great.
JayBee
I want a webserver just for testing purpose.
The cheepest and the best solution for me would be to make my own router with DS80C400 microcontroller, all parts I need i have, but i dont have a time for development Sad

I will buy one profi with WiFi, so I will be able to work in a bed without wires. Smile
faithful
A wireless router is definatly the best solution.

I have a wireless router and 1 fixed IP address.
From behind the router i run 1 webserver, a mailserver, my own DNS and 3 workstations.

I am from the UK so i cant comment about the prices of routers in the US, but i have a wireless router with printer server and 4 port RJ45 switch built on and it cost me 17 (about $30 i think) I am sure you would be able to find a good router out there.

I am a network engineer and i have to say that unlike the saying "you dont always get what you pay for"
I have tryed a lot of different routers in my time and i have to say the best one i have seen is the no-branded one that i have now that cost me ($30). I have tryed all the way up to 500 and they all do the same job.

The only last bit i want to add is that wireless in not always best. If you have the ability to plug in a wire then i would recommend that you do. There is nothing more annoying than your machine "disconnecting" from the router just as you are uploading the latest edition of a website, or downloading your latest MP3.
Anyway, feel free to ask me any quesions. i will be back.

J
Animal
faithful wrote:
...i have a wireless router with printer server and 4 port RJ45 switch built on and it cost me 17 (about $30 i think)...

I would be really interested to know where you got a wireless router with a print server for 17! Please tell me it wasn't a car boot sale 4 years ago!!!
faithful
The router i got was about 8 months ago off www.ebuyer.co.uk

I have had a look for you and they dont do the one i have anymore. They have a new model that does 108 wireless speed and has turbo mode (What ever they count that as)

It looks pretty good but it is almost double to money.

Click Here

Here is the low down of the product:

Ebuyer Extra Value 108MBPS 4 Port Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router 40 VPN Tunnels, UPNP with USB Print Server (802.11G+)

45.82 inc VAT

Features

* 108Mbps if its used in Turbo mode with SWLP-54108, SWLC-54108, SWAMRU-54108 or any other device bases on TI Chipset with 11g+ Turbo Mode.
* Integrate with 4 ports Fast Ethernet switch: 10/100Mbps MDI/MDIX auto-sensing.
* Provide 10/100Mps WAN interface to connect with DSL or cable modem for broadband Internet access.
* Built-in NAT function: allow multiple PCs and devices to share one Internet connection.
* Browser-based interface configuration and management: OS independent, easy-to-use for consumer install.
* Built-in firewall to protect your Intranet.
* VPN support: 40 hardware tunnel.
* VPN support: The initiator and responder of IPSec and the pass through of PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec
* UPNP
* Easy to upgrade: using Web or Windows Application to upgrade new version of firmware.
* Built-in USB host to connect to USB printer for printer sharing.
* High speed for wireless LAN connection: upport both IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g. Up to 108 Mbps data rate when operates in 802.11g+ Turbo mode.
* Provide seamless roaming within the IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g WLAN infrastructure.
* Data rate supported: 6/12/18/24/36/48/54/108 Mbps in 802.11g+ Turbo mode; 1/2/5.5/11Mbps in 802.11b mode.
* WEP encryption and WPA supported.

I have to say tho, that even for 38 this is a blistering router.

J
Animal
Yeah, that is quite impressive. The wireless print servers on their own with no routers attached are usually around 100!

Thanks for the info!
grantmaster
Quote:
I will buy one profi with WiFi, so I will be able to work in a bed without wires.
You only forgot one thing here...

Watch movies and work on the internet or network from bed! Rocks!

Using an Extreme G wireless router from D-Link. I have good signal in both of my houses, and am also covering most of the public park across the street.

This router provides DHCP or static IP addresses, DMZ, and allows for a pinhole in the firewall for outside access to your web server. Many other features, as well. 6 months ago it was $50, probably down to $40 by now.
corey
For purchasing a router (which IS the easiest, most hassle-free, and best way, IMO), try watching the sales in your local electronics stores, as they will often come close to giving away the stuff. I saw a sale in a flyer for a chain store here that sold a wireless G router for $25 at the checkout and had a mail in rebate for $20, so it was $5.
picsite
after gettin the router goto their website, they usually have better stuff on the net than what they give you when u buy the router...