FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Advertisement in games!!!

greenman
Anyone catch all those billboards in NFS MWanted? I personally didnt have a problem with the products advertisement in the game, but It did get me thinking. Shouldn't EA lower the price of the game since they are already making money from the manufacturers of these products? I think it would work out great for everyone. I wouldnt mind paying $29 for a game that display mild, non intrusive ads. That said, EA must be making a killin' with the revenue they're collecting from both ends...
BCP88
I don't have a problem with it, but the games should be sheaper.
Deji
yeah its a bit of a piss take "spend money on games and not only will we make money from that but we will sell adverts in the games and make money as well.
DX-Blog
I agree that due to this the price could be lowered a bit on games indeed. But the only thing major companies are interested in is money, so I doubt that would happen any time soon.

It would be nice to see prices on games reduced one day though due to things like advertisement, as long as it fits in the game style though. Don't want to go see coca cola machines in a historical type fantasy rpg Razz.
jeffleo
Just imagining that gives me the horrors lol. A coke machine in an olden age. Like... Huh? Did Julius Caesar invent that? O.o But anyways, I think that EA must be making tonnes of money, BUT, they don't really earn much more to say it's a killing since there are also alot of people out there who buy pirated games. So yeah...
DX-Blog
jeffleo wrote:
Just imagining that gives me the horrors lol. A coke machine in an olden age. Like... Huh? Did Julius Caesar invent that? O.o But anyways, I think that EA must be making tonnes of money, BUT, they don't really earn much more to say it's a killing since there are also alot of people out there who buy pirated games. So yeah...

If people buy pirated games it in general isn't a loss to them, seeing as to how they wouldn't have bought the legal version in the first place. It's just rather easy to say that they make massive losses due to warez.

Personally I think they do make a nice extra amount of money with the ads. But well yeh, ofcourse no-1 here can confirm that, unless we would have someone working at EA Razz.
jeffleo
*nudges* let's bribe some of their staff to tell us. LOL. Well, they need more money to pay their staff and after which, I suppose more quality games will emerge? Or will they just be more pampered and laze around? Let's wait and see?
DX-Blog
jeffleo wrote:
*nudges* let's bribe some of their staff to tell us. LOL. Well, they need more money to pay their staff and after which, I suppose more quality games will emerge? Or will they just be more pampered and laze around? Let's wait and see?

I doubt the true staff, programmers, developpers, modellers, etc. will see much of this extra money Wink. Most likely it's used as a nice bonus on the salary of the board of directors.
Dustin
If they can make money off them why not, serously if i owned WOW there would literally be a McDonalds where you could heal yourself by buying a bigmac
boringest
it's no big surprise since adverts have been appearing in movies for ages now...so games are the next logical step to take i guess =)
driftingfe3s
It would be nice to have the prices of games lower from advertisments. I read something about a study saying that in game videogame advertising work. But I seriously doubt that prices will be come lower considering the new formats for the next generation games, it may cost more to produce.
Kelcey
NBA 2k6 promoted friggin' powerbars ALL OVER THE PLACE. That was VERY annoying.
anhstar
Price should be cheaper I agree! But on the other hand, those advertisement for some know fastfood or company give the game a realife feel.