FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can Some1 Help Me I don't really understand Video Cards..

(3rownVito
Hey, everyone at FriHost. Im wondering can a Video Card be used to Enhance Graphic Designing... L'ets say I got a 64Mb Graphic Card and when I design Graphics its okay.. the Pictures are sharp! But Let's say I add a 256mb Video Card.. Will It Enhance my Pictures ?

And Also when I watch Streaming Videos will it Clearify the Picture ?

Can Some1 Tell Me what would be the best Video Card Out there ! For Enhancing Graphic Pictures and Designing Videos

Thanks
Sincerly,
(3rownVito
Animal
Graphics cards and video cards are really the same thing with a different name.

Depending on the type of graphics you're editing, you may not actually need a massively powerful graphics card. Modern graphics cards tend to be orientated towards computer gamers.

I'd suggest you look at a graphics card with 256Mb in it. The "lower end" of these cards capable of graphics modelling start at aroung $150 - why not take a look at the Crucial RADEON X700 256MB AGP. If you're after some more high performance models, you could consider Crucial's RADEON X800 Pro 256MB AGP card.

Crucial tend to have a good balance of price:performance, but if you want the top of the line, take a look at some Nvidia cards.

The choice of graphics card will not give you a better final standard of graphic design, but it will make it much faster and smoother for your computer to display and manipulate. The amount of RAM in your system will also have an effect on this - the more the better!

As far as streaming media goes, it's highly unlikely a more powerful graphics card will make much difference. In order to stream videos, they tend to be highly compressed and therefore lower quality. A graphics card can only display what it's given, so low quality in = low quality out.
Rocky3478
^
|
|
|

What he/she said. Wink With a side note: You will need a desktop to do this upgrade. You can't do it to a laptop.
Donutey
A new video card can only speed up how fast you can edit photos/videos... it won't make them look better (though very marginal gains can be made in how it looks on your screen, the actual resolution doens't change)

Hope that helps.
djclue917
Donutey wrote:
A new video card can only speed up how fast you can edit photos/videos... it won't make them look better (though very marginal gains can be made in how it looks on your screen, the actual resolution doens't change)

Hope that helps.

Uhmm, not actually... What a video card does is that it does the calculations for rendering and displaying what you see on your screen.

However, to reliably edit photos and/or videos, you need a lot of RAM. This is because you are actually modifying the contents (which are stored in RAM).
It's a bit complicated to explain... Very Happy
XIAO_MENG
NO. more video memory makes display faster not better.
helk
maybe good card for rendering.. good quality crt for gfx so i've been told.
but else just quick cpu and fat ram. Very Happy

and ahh, lot's of practice.