FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I make a flash site?

clip
Well, I'm starting a flash tutorial site here and I can't decide if I should make a Flash Only site or an HTML or PHP site only. Or maybe both? I can't decide!

If I were to make a flash site, it would save me a lot of time publishing my site, however, php is easier to update than Flash-xml parsing. i can't decide...
balend
go for it theyre nice
Texas Al
No. Don't. Stop the madness.
BearClaw
flash rox! just you have to have some know how when making them dynamic cause actionscript is a major pain. it never does what i want and i end up crying in the corner like a small child.

but i tend to mix flash with php for whatever i may need.

you can make some very attractive sites using flash
srijit
just a bit confused Shocked
if you make a flash only site, how on earth do you expect search engines to crawl your site for content? Question
Texas Al
srijit wrote:
just a bit confused Shocked
if you make a flash only site, how on earth do you expect search engines to crawl your site for content? Question

Well, if it's a Flash site, hopefully the search engines won't! Or maybe they could spam the meta-tags and hiddent div's with keywords so the search engines blacklist the site altogether.
srijit
heard that google and other search engines are not interested in meta tags ( unless there is only one or two ) they can also look for content and see if you are backlinking to sites that have no relevance to your sites content. if they do find that your site is back-linking just for the sake of back-linking then they penalise your site Sad
pawelsz
I don't like flash sites. I prefer PHP sites, but still you can create a logo or menu using flash...
clip
about the search engines, i think those search engines read editable text in a flash file. (well, i may be wrong y'know).

well, I'm not into sounds so the files are't gonna be THAT big. I just like the idea of vector graphics compared to raster ones. they load faster.

some flash sites jus can't load fast because lots of designers just imports raster graphics and sounds to their files. But I'm different, I don't really make graphics on photoshop. If I can really make it look good on flash and on fireworks, then it would sure load fast compared to other sites.

but i still need an honest opinion.

i'll make a vector graphics ONLY site. with no sounds and vector (well 90% of it, will be!) graphics only.
Alie
If your site is about graphics or has not much content - create in flash. If you have much content to fill the site with usefull things and texts - go on php.
budazz
i think you should
snowflake
Really well done flash layouts look great, but go for whatever's easier to handle I guess. Smile
Tom7
lol
Quote:
it never does what i want and i end up crying in the corner like a small child.
i know how you feel.
MWANGI
Very Happy

I think you should create it only in flash. It will looook much better
krazycapital
Flash messes with my computer some times, so I would say go with PHP and HTML. Flash I find is also harder to edit.
sgwreviews
I would go for a HTML website with flash elements in it, but not to much. You can make great banners with flash though.
Vrythramax
I personally like Flash, sure it has it's drawbacks....but it's the best I have worked with.
Blademasters
I like flash but unless your site is just for graphics I wouldnt make it completely flash. I would use html with flash elements
burningjacks
i love flash...it makes your sites so fun to look at. over all youll get more traffic. multi-media is the future.
burningjacks
dont let flash stop you from learning PHP becuase the more you understand the better designer youll be. no doubt!
Sappho
burningjacks wrote:
dont let flash stop you from learning PHP becuase the more you understand the better designer youll be. no doubt!

I dont think Flash interfere with PHP at the same field, couse Flash is client side thing and PHP is server side, so backbone of the web application. For example there is no way u can connect to database directly from Flash so u need to do Flash<->PHP communication.
hanay
I absolutely love flash because it's alot easier to manage than HTML. As a matter of fact, I have a few flash websites that you could check out at make a more informed decision:

http://teikoku.frih.net/ - my frih website
http://support4ya.cjb.com/ - a website that I designed for a forum that I moderate
http://sithorder.frih.net/ - my bud's frih website

Also considor that most people find flash sites more attractive than HTML websites.
strfry
hanay wrote:
http://teikoku.frih.net/ - my frih website
http://support4ya.cjb.com/ - a website that I designed for a forum that I moderate
http://sithorder.frih.net/ - my bud's frih website

Wow, thanks for reminding me that I seldom like Flash sites. Here I am, listening my own wonderful playlist of music and then, Blam!, Welcome to My Flash Site! Ow! =P

I browse for content, not flash. A little Flash doesn't bug me. A whole site in Flash with no alternative gags me.
madsencarl
My site has (or will, it isn't up yet) a flash header and a bar on the left of the page. The rest is html. It works really well.
dac_nip
Alie wrote:
If your site is about graphics or has not much content - create in flash. If you have much content to fill the site with usefull things and texts - go on php.

I think you should create the site in PHP, basically because it is easy to store and retrieve information in PHP. If you're creating a FLASH tutorial site, this would contain action scripts and stuff. So what you will be storing are mostly ASCII files. I suggest you use PHP for the entire site and create downloadable clips (in flash) as an reference example. You wont have a problem with PHP anyway as compared to flash XML-parsing and exhange servers..etc.
clip
can i ask you guys to visit: http://www.axis-media.com

they have a flash site and it's wonderfully made. Very Happy

But i think, I can't do flash like that so I think I'll go for PHP. Thanks for all the opinions tho. Very Happy
Sappho
dac_nip wrote:
Alie wrote:

I think you should create the site in PHP, basically because it is easy to store and retrieve information in PHP. If you're creating a FLASH tutorial site, this would contain action scripts and stuff. So what you will be storing are mostly ASCII files. I suggest you use PHP for the entire site and create downloadable clips (in flash) as an reference example. You wont have a problem with PHP anyway as compared to flash XML-parsing and exhange servers..etc.

U can go with Flash+PHP combination as well no problem with that. Anyway i dont know whats wrong with Flash XML parsing i think its working really well and since XML class is now native its really fast too. I build a few flash sites using XML as great format for managable data but in few projects i used Flash+PHP+MySQL, like boards, guest books, counters and of course things like user authorization etc.
Jeslyn
I pefer flash sites... if they're made correctly (some people do a crappy job), but you should consider offering a flash verion of the site, and one text version - not everybody has the requirements to view flash, and unless someone really wants to see your site, then they probably won't go out of there way to download the requirements.
guissmo
clip wrote:
Well, I'm starting a flash tutorial site here and I can't decide if I should make a Flash Only site or an HTML or PHP site only. Or maybe both? I can't decide!

If I were to make a flash site, it would save me a lot of time publishing my site, however, php is easier to update than Flash-xml parsing. i can't decide...

i hate flash sites.
they load so slowly, and they usually suck
strfry
clip wrote:

You know, I have to admit that I didn't thoroughly read your question the first time through this thread.

You're making a *flash tutorial site*. 100% flash with maybe just a simple non-flash alternative that says, "This is a Flash Tutorial Site; please install Flash if you're interested."

That seems perfectly acceptable to me in this case.

=^)
dac_nip
Sappho wrote:
dac_nip wrote:
Alie wrote:

U can go with Flash+PHP combination as well no problem with that. Anyway i dont know whats wrong with Flash XML parsing i think its working really well and since XML class is now native its really fast too. I build a few flash sites using XML as great format for managable data but in few projects i used Flash+PHP+MySQL, like boards, guest books, counters and of course things like user authorization etc.

what Im talking here is when you use a FLash server, I don't know what the name is but i once consider to use it. It is a substitute to apache which is compatible to flash and other macromedia products. You can consider the vulnerabilities that you can acquire if you use this server..
dac_nip
Sappho wrote:
dac_nip wrote:
Alie wrote:

what Im talking here is when you use a FLash server, I don't know what the name is but i once consider to use it. It is a substitute to apache which is compatible to flash and other macromedia products. You can consider the vulnerabilities that you can acquire if you use this server..
Sappho
dac_nip wrote:

I think u mean ColdFusion, yea i did work with that one too but came back to using PHP and Apache, u know i dont make only Flash designs so i rather go with more "wider" solution. Smile
madsencarl
clip wrote:
can i ask you guys to visit: http://www.axis-media.com

they have a flash site and it's wonderfully made. Very Happy

But i think, I can't do flash like that so I think I'll go for PHP. Thanks for all the opinions tho. Very Happy

That's a fine example of a horribly made flash site. It takes ages to get to the links, and it doesn't integrate into the background. It looks so... out of place.
zorindart
If you want to have a lot of animations on your site, and if there is much more pictures than text, and if you are not likely to upgrade your site in the next future, and if you're not concerned by search bots, just in the case, use Flash.
krazycapital
burningjacks wrote:
i love flash...it makes your sites so fun to look at. over all youll get more traffic. multi-media is the future.

More traffic? I find sites with flash get less traffic. Me for one. I try to avoid flash because it makes my computer slow, and I usually have it dissabled.
Sappho
krazycapital wrote:
burningjacks wrote:

More traffic? I find sites with flash get less traffic. Me for one. I try to avoid flash because it makes my computer slow, and I usually have it dissabled.

I dont think that technology used has any great impact on traffic, i know flash sites that have 50000 visits a day average, i know flash sites that were so hyped that had over 1 million visits the first day, etc. Yes when u use HTML more ppl can possibly visit ur site but that doesnt mean they will. Smile

Oh and once more about the loading times, its cosue of content not couse of Flash used, if u will have HTML pages with same audio/video content it will take same time to load Smile Lets just say there is Flash and then there is HTML, as there is bad Flash and there is also a bad HTML sites. Wink
dac_nip
but if you consider it, flash sites are generally used for media and animations. hence, comparing it with html makes flash "RELATIVELY" slower compared to html..coz of the content
Marston
If you made your site out of flash, search engines won't be able to spider it. In this way, you're cutting out about 70% of potential traffic that would come to your site...
Tasukii
both, I can't really stand all flash site, too long to see it, and you can't right click...annoying
strfry
Yes, but you guys are still arguing in a "general" site sort of way. Here, he has indicated he is making a Flash Tutorial Site. Why not use Flash? I would assume all those interested in such a site would have Flash installed and, if not, he could just have a simple HTML page that explains how to get Flash installed for the Flash Tutorial Site.