FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Want a news script which doesnt use MySQL?

Sephz0r
I found this last night while looking for a non-mysql php news system I used to use.

http://cutephp.net/

It offers flat file storage, no need for mySQL databases (helpful if you only have one), multiple user levels, comments, full story, avatars and it has an output wizard which customizes what it looks like on-screen and then gives you the php output for your index.php/news.php/whatever.php page.

Enjoy :]
Daniel15
Moved to Scripting forum

While flat file storage is good sometimes, it can get really slow with big text databases. For example, running this forum off a flat file database would not work at all!

With most flat file databases, every time you load the news PHP file, the whole database needs to be loaded into memory. This slows down some servers.

Anyway, having said that, my DanSoft Australia site uses a simple array for the news. The array has the UNIX timestamp, a subject, and the body text. The subject and body text are just plain text, usually no HTML. All my news from August 2004 to now is all in a small 35KB PHP file Very Happy. I then wrote a custom script that would grab the news based on the month.

Unfortunately, my site is down at the moment, so you can't see it in action. Once it's up again, I'll show you the site.
Laz
Yes cutenews is good but try the older version it is so much better it doesnt have ads.
Get it from like netsuhi.net or something.
You need to CHMOD some files and folders first.
grantmaster
Using cutenews on many of my smaller sites that only maintain a few articles. For that it's great!

Like they said, no MySql needed.

Also has an interface, (shouldn't be a highpoint but I looked at a few news systems/posters/blogs before that one and most came up short)
webbone
Yeah,It's good to use,But use mysql can get more performance!
I will test the system in my main site what your talk about!
photon
i actually tried cutenews once. as everyone has said, it works like a charm if there isnt going to be very heavy content. but somehow, i just feel using mysql is far better
mathiaus
I use cute news. Cuts down massivly on my sql queries. One suggestion though. Ensure if you post often to turn auto archiving ON. This will reduce your file sizes!
pawelsz
I use CuteNews on my site. It's working good, but I don't tested it on big text files (my site started working few days ago).
Does anyone know how can I change the encoding to UTF-8? My site is Polish and I'm using this encoding but the CuteNews uses another...
Aelita
iF yOU pEOPLE aCTUALLY pLAN oN lEARNING hOW tO rEALLY mAKE wEBSITES yOU sHOULD tRY AND DO eVERYTHING bY HAND. lIKE iNSTEAD OF JUST USING cUTE NEWS LOOK iT OVER AND fIND OUT hOW IT WORKS aND TRY MAKING YOUR oWN VERSION. mAKES cREATING A LOT moRE FUN AND mEANINGFULL
Rhysige
TrY NOt ANoYInG PEOplE WitH RANDoM ChaNgeS iN CASE.
PatTheGreat42
Why is it an issue? Doesn't everyone here have unlimited mySQL databases, courtesy Frihost?
mathiaus
Yes but not everyone here uses frihost ( Rolling Eyes )
Besides, in this case, using files is actually better than mysql for speed, efficency etc
mjerom
Yep,
Mysql based sites tend to be slow and are broken ( or unavailable ) if the dB server is down...
I like to code this way :
PhP -> MySQL -> XML -> PhP
This way, the site is available and fast & designers can propose a html or flash interface !