FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AGP Graphics Cards - Laptop/Mobile

Sephz0r
Hi.

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card on my Acer Aspire 1353XV laptop to from onboard 64mb shared to a 128mb AGP graphics card.

I know Radeon offer a range of AGP Cards, and their mobility range for laptops, but I'd like to know a bit more.

I'm teched-up with everything about computers minus graphics cards.

Which card is the best for a laptop and where can I get it cheapest in the UK?

[center]SPECS
AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
1.18GB PC2700 DDR333MHZ RAM
64MB S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR GFX[/center]
Rocky3478
Hmm....Are you sure that you can do that? I'm not sure that you can upgrade the GPU on a laptop, but I could be wrong....
gh0stface
I don't think you can upgrade your laptop video card...

The only thing you can update on your laptop are hard drive and RAM.
Animal
Potentially you can upgrade your graphics card on a laptop, but if you've got onboard graphics, it's highly unlikely there will be an available slot for an AGP grphics card on your motherboard.

A new graphics card would also draw more power and cause more heat generation, so you would need to be sure your laptop's power supply and cooling system can deal with it.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading motherboard-orientated laptop components. There's lots packed into a small space, and any problems you have could cause some serious damage. If you need better performance, you might be better just buying a new laptop.
Deji
its very rare to be able to upgrade the Graphics Card on a laptop, do a google search for your laptop make as manufacturers tend to specify if its possible..

To be honest unless since Acer dont mention that the GPU is upgrade-able then it probably isnt sorry.

Its the one downside of buying a laptop :/
pudovkin
You can't upgrade the GPU in your notebook.
It's fully integrated with your motherboard.

There's a few models from Alienware and Averatec (not sure about that) that have interchangeable GPU's. But the GPU's used to replace are very very expensive.
Deji
pudovkin wrote:
You can't upgrade the GPU in your notebook.
It's fully integrated with your motherboard.

There's a few models from Alienware and Averatec (not sure about that) that have interchangeable GPU's. But the GPU's used to replace are very very expensive.

is it just me or are Alienware the "Dell" of gaming PCs

i mean you look at the price and it turns out that one has 1mb of ram and no processor so you have to "upgrade" to a working laptop for like an extra $1000,

they talk about features on a $1,300 laptop like "wireless" "raid harddrive set up" but it turns out you have to add a wireless card for like $40 and as standard it comes with a single 40gig hd Rolling Eyes
pudovkin
Yeap, Deji. You are right. Alienware is sooo expensive.
I've never saw a good situation about buying a Alienware.

When I bought my notebook, I was looking for one with a powerful GPU. I found the Alienwares had some GeForce and, if I'm not wrong, some ATI Radeon 9700 (which in that time, was the second most powerful GPU). The model with this GPU and other features would cost about $ 2,500. I looked at NewEgg and found an Acer model which had the same GPU and the same configuration for $1,400. Even being a Alienware and having that cool design, I would not buy instead the Acer. Smile