FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RESOLEVED LAN is now working

Srs2388
can someone please help me out here

my problem is when i plug my cable modem VIA the ethernet port *LAN* the modem works shows theres a connection and the thing where it plugs in the back of the computer is also flashing
so it should work.....right?

i then try to do anything involving internet and I get nothing

heres some details

RAM 512MB
Pentium 4 (2.40GHz)
512MBps connection
toshiba PCX500 modem
Animal
Have you configured your internet settings correctly? You need to tell Microsoft programs like IE and Outlook to access the web via the LAN Connection.

Have you set up your modem to work via the ethernet cable, or is its default setting USB? Are you trying to connect via USB and Ethernet at the same time? This may not work.

Are you using the correct kind of cable? You need a cross-over networking cable to connect peer-to-peer (eg connect two computers directly to each others network cards) and a straight-through cable to connect to a network or switch.

Does the modem require you to authenticate yourself when you connect? Have you checked and entered your modem's internet settings? Have you installed the modem software on your PC?
Sunny
Quote:
can someone please help me out here

my problem is when i plug my cable modem VIA the ethernet port *LAN* the modem works shows theres a connection and the thing where it plugs in the back of the computer is also flashing
so it should work.....right?

I don't think so. If your modem is on and ethernet cable is connected to the pc then the lan card light will be on.It doesn't mean your net is working.

I think you should call your ISP who will check the configuration of modem as well as ethernet.
Srs2388
thanks for the quick replies

oh yeah.... i only want to use the LAN because its more reliable it wont "drop" the connection as much from what I hear.... it also seems to be faster that way
i havn't tried setting programs to connect VIA ethernet
the last time was so easy =(
i just plugged it in and boom it worked
again thanks for the speedy replies i'll try these methods
kam311
It could be a driver issue also. If your computer doesn't have the right drivers, it won't detect the connection. Check with the manufacturer of your NIC card or motherboard, depending on where the connection is on the back of your PC. To check the drivers, look at device manager for any issues.
Srs2388
Okay, here is what I did

First i looked around the devices the ethernet controller wasn't working....
so I found out what kind it was with everest

found drivers after this I installed them online...
rebooted the thing......

after rebooting i setup a home/small office network

I know am running A LAN connection at 100MBPS Very Happy

thanks for the replies hopefully if someone has this issue it can be help them too =D