FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help???

GDG
Hey can anyone tell me if there is a way to delete all files and programs that I have without reformatting my computer. I just want to leave the O.S. and have my computer as if I have just installed a new O.S. Anyone know if that is possible and how?
Animal
The easiest way to do this would be a fresh install, but I assume that you've not got a Windows disk - is this right?

If you got Windows with your computer, they may have included a "rescue disk" that essentially clears out your current version of Windows and resets the registry etc. to it's initial state. This would be your best bet.

If you can't do this, you could try finding someone with a Windows CD - as long as you use your product key (sticker on your computer) then it's technically legal... but may be a bit of a legal grey area.

If you can't do this, you'll need to manually uninstall everything, defrag your computer, run ccleaner to remove temporary files, and run the registry checker to remove redundant registry entries. This is nowhere near as good as a fresh install, but it may help fix possible software conflicts that are causing problems.
Squeeky
why do you want to do this? Do you have too many viruses?

You can but there is no easy way. You have to go to addremove programs and delete everything but the os ones.

Delete the unwanted program files and redistery keys (run-regedit)

Delete updates.

There, its not eay though and is a bit dangerous, you might delete something that the os needs to work.

If it is viruses that make you want to clear your computer i can help you there. Much easier than clearing it.
Squeeky
why do you want to do this? Do you have too many viruses?

You can but there is no easy way. You have to go to addremove programs and delete everything but the os ones.

Delete the unwanted program files and redistery keys (run-regedit)

Delete updates.

There, its not eay though and is a bit dangerous, you might delete something that the os needs to work.

If it is viruses that make you want to clear your computer i can help you there. Much easier than clearing it.
Quake
Well, If you put it that way... You don't seem to need any of your programs so whats stopping you from reformating and reinstalling? I would definatelly recomend this option, but right after you reinstall and install all the applications that you need on a regular basis, Like antivirus, office (IF you use it) just stuff like that, after that go ahead and image the drive, that way if you get messed up in the future, just pop in the image disk, and a few minutes later.... brand new windows install hastle free.
zebrabongo
I would have to say: No it's not possible or highly unlikely.

What you have to consider is that even if you uninstall all software, there still is going to be residual files, not to mention all the keys in the register.

So there are just 2 options:

1. Pray to whatever deity you think protects your computer and hope that there is a restore point (provided that you are using WinXP) right after you brought the system online.

2. Reinstall and make an image of the system, so that next time you don’t have to.
johanfh
It depends on your OS. The easyiest way is reinstalling from scratch. If you have an old pc with win9x you can also copy the wincd on your hard drive, delete everything from within dos (for example with norton commander) exept the win9x setup folder and your bootfiles and then do a fresh install from this folder. Someone might wonder: why not format and install from cd? Two things: from harddrive is faster and older pc's don't always recognize your cd-drive in dos, so you can have trouble installing.

Something else: if you manage to reinstall: make an image of your pc with ghost or something like that, so you have your own rescue disk for the next time...

JohanFH
kido
I'm surprised you guys didnt thought of this OS. What OS do you have. If it's Win XP. Easy. Just go to system restore. Lol, restore to the 1st day then do regedit. Thats all. Then scan the Add-Remove-Program. Thats all.
gonzo
yes.

next time use a descriptive subject