FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux installation

charliehk
Two questions for Linux (Debian) installation:

1. I am using Buffalo G54 Wireless LAN Card, but I could not find the driver. What should I do?

2. I don't know how to install GUI for Debian. The command "startx" wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance for helping! Smile
RA
What distribution of Debian are you using?

I've found Mepis to be a good Debian distro. Many people say it supports cards out of the box that other Debian's do not.
longjack
charliehk wrote:

1. I am using Buffalo G54 Wireless LAN Card, but I could not find the driver. What should I do?

2. I don't know how to install GUI for Debian. The command "startx" wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance for helping! Smile

I'm assuming you have a network card in the machine you are setting up, wired to the internet with a broadband connection. If not, this either won't work, or it will take forever.

During the install, it will ask you for other install sources, Tab to YES. This will set up apt-get for you. Choose http, then pick the first site listed. which is server.mepis.org or something similar.

Apt will download a package list and show you a menu. If you choose the desktop environment item, it will download gnome and install it.

It will ask you later to set up your xserver, so pay attention.

I use the net install iso, and generally set up file sharing (samba) and apache. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not in which desktop gets installed.

Mepis, as the poster above mentioned, is a great Debian distribution. It will set you up very quickly and easily with a KDE desktop. I like Gnome better, so I try to use the Debian install instead.

With my 1.5 down connection it takes about 90 minutes to download and setup. The advantage is that the packages are new and since the net install iso is only 110 mb and faster to download the complete install probably evens out time wise when compared to downloading the full blown isos then installing.

longjack
longjack
charliehk wrote:

I forgot about this question when I answered above.

I did a fresh XP Pro install on my Thinkpad last weekend. Finding an XP driver for my Buffalo CB G54L was hard because that card is discontinued and the drivers available at the Buffalo site were mistakenly linked to the newer versions.

I finally found a driver XP recognized at the Buffalo site for discontinued cards here:

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/_SUPPORT/downloads.php?type=drivers&detail=cbdrv360.1

Doesn't look like any Linux support at all, though.

longjack
charliehk
I have used the CDROM came with the book Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible (Wiley) to install (it came with 2 CDROM, but only the first is useful, the second one is Knoppix Live CD). The book says the Debian CD is not a full distribution. It only contains the most central pieces of software: the installer, documents, Debian "base" system, essential packages...

My laptop doesn't have access to broadband, but I could access Internet via another computer. Could I download the missed driver and other packages and burn it to CDROM for installation?

I want to learn more about Linux, but it is not too easy to start... the learning process is not so user friendly I must say. Embarassed
longjack
charliehk wrote:
but it is not too easy to start... the learning process is not so user friendly I must say. Embarassed

I don't think it's easy, either.

The best way to look around is probably to get the Mepis live /install CD or the Ubuntu Live CD.

MEPIS

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/released/

pick the 'SimplyMEPIS-3.3.1-1.iso' link to download

Ubuntu

http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/5.10/

click the 'PC (Intel x86) live CD' link to download

Mepis loads a KDE desktop, Ubuntu a Gnome desktop (I think).

With Mepis, the CD loads a Linux KDE desktop that doesn't do anything to the hard drive. You can elect to install Mepis from the same CD to the hard drive from a link on the desktop.

Ubuntu Live CD loads a desktop without touching the hard drive. If you want to install it to the hard drive, download the install CD from the 'PC (Intel x86) install CD' link at the Ubuntu site.

HTH

longjack
Helios
GUI:

Just choose "Desktop" as your system and "vesa" as your driver when you'll be asked. That should get your GUI ready for use.

Don't know about the LAN card. Never had a wireless LAN card..
Try running the package manager(aptitude in text mode, i think.) and search for a driver...
123456aaa
where can down red hat linux
desertwind
123456aaa wrote:
where can down red hat linux

do you want to download fedora ?

http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/
John6000
rhb iuehriuh uiewh uih iuh oiuhoiuh io
desertwind
John6000 wrote:
i am the linux master Smile

ShockedShockedShocked
djclue917
RA wrote:
What distribution of Debian are you using?

I've found Mepis to be a good Debian distro. Many people say it supports cards out of the box that other Debian's do not.

Uhmmm... Debian is already a distro.