FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to install PHPBB?

Yjaxygames
Ok, I downloaded PHPBB from www.phpbb.com (.zip file) and now I want to upload it. I made a directory in the public_html map where I must put the files(I hope this is ok). Do I need to upload every single file in the .zip file or can I upload the .zip file? Or am I completly wrong?
Bondings
Yjaxygames wrote:
Ok, I downloaded PHPBB from www.phpbb.com (.zip file) and now I want to upload it. I made a directory in the public_html map where I must put the files(I hope this is ok). Do I need to upload every single file in the .zip file or can I upload the .zip file? Or am I completly wrong?

The best way would be to upload it in a .tar.gz file instead of a zip file. 7zip is able to make them, if I'm not mistaken. The file manager is only able to open .tar.gz files, not .zip files.
KHO
or you could unzip on your computer, and throw the files in via FTP, that would be the easiest way. Make sure you are not converting any file names to and case other than original or you will have errors. Then change the avatars directory in images, and the config.php that is somewhere to 777 (can be done in ftp or in DA, easier in DA) then run the install through your browser so go to <domain>.frih.net/<directory you put files in>/install/install.php and enter your mySQL info and what not. l am doing this from memory, so correct me if l am wrong.
Yjaxygames
Bondings wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

The best way would be to upload it in a .tar.gz file instead of a zip file. 7zip is able to make them, if I'm not mistaken. The file manager is only able to open .tar.gz files, not .zip files.

Now I did that. All the files in the .zip files are now in the .tar file. I uploaded it at public_html/boards/ map. How do I get the forums onine now?
Bondings
You first need to put the file in the right directory (somewhere in the public_html ). Then go to your file manager, to the directory of that file. Under 'Action', next to the file, there will be an option to extract the file. But it really needs to be a .tar.gz, .tar isn't working.
Yjaxygames
.tar.gz? I'll try. I downloaded 7zip to do this. I haven't heard of it before. I'll look for it.

EDIT: the .tar.gz file worked, but whle it was extracting, an error ocured:

An error occured during extraction:

Details

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format /bin/tar: Child returned status 1 /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
n0obie4life
http://frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html

There's a phpBB installation tutorial here Wink
Yjaxygames
Thanks. I have only 1 problem with the way in the tutorial. I post it at the tutorial topic, please take a look.