FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DDR-RAM and DDR2-RAM Compatible?

Freezon
Hey guys, I am on my old computer with my NEW winXP installed (http://frihost.com/forums/vt-20960.html). AGAIN, thanks for the help guys.

Anyways, I have some cash and was thinking about fixing this puppy up. Right now it has 512MB DDR installed. I was thinking about purchasing a 1GB DDR2 RAM stick to go with my already installed 512MB DDR RAM. Would these two be compatible with one another?

Also, I read that some computers have a RAM limit; how might I check this?

Any help appreciated, thanks guys.
KHO
Quote:
Anyways, I have some cash and was thinking about fixing this puppy up. Right now it has 512MB DDR installed. I was thinking about purchasing a 1GB DDR2 RAM stick to go with my already installed 512MB DDR RAM. Would these two be compatible with one another?
Most likely, no. Although the different DDR versions are just an increased spead essentialy, trying to go up a speed higher will probably fry your motherboard Neutral although this isn't a guarantee, it is a strong possability.

Quote:

Also, I read that some computers have a RAM limit; how might I check this?
Either contact the product distributor or manufacturer, or consult your manual if you still have it. Most likely you do have a limit, but getting two 512MB sticks would probably still work.
Freezon
So getting another 512MB DDR instead of the 1GB would be ok?
Animal
DDR and DDR2 are different types of memory. DDR2 is faster, but it most likely uses a different voltage to work. The type of memory you can use is entirely dependant on your motherboard. Instead of trying to fit faster ram, but the same amount of memory, I'd recommend that you stick to the type of ram you already have (DDR) and get a bigger chip. Upgrading to faster ram wouldn't really produce much of a noticeable effect, but doubling your current ram probably will.
Naif
Which motherboard do you have? Some newer motherboards have slots for both DDR and DDR2 RAM modules. Not sure about motherboards designed for AMD processors but I have come across such a mobo for an Intel processor. As you mentioned in your post that your system is old, chances are your mobo has no support for DDR2 RAM modules. So you'll have to stick to DDR. You are right about what you wrote in the end of your post. Motherboards do have a limit of how much RAM they can handle. You ought to check your motherboard manual for this. Though there is a way to figure this out without the need of a manual. Assuming you have two RAM slots, you can assume your mobo supports a maximum of 2 GB memory. If you have four slots, then 4 GB. I guess you get the relationship here. You can assume each slot can accomodate a 1 GB module.

Using a single 512 MB module with a 1 GB module will not be a problem though the speed of both should be the same. This is true assuming your motherboard doesnt support a dual channel memory configuration. If it has support for dual channel memory, then to be able to run the modules in dual channel mode, you'll have to install two identical modules.
Sephz0r
DDR is fast enough, and saves you having to upgrade your mobo to cope with the voltage it needs for DDR2.

Just get a 1024mb DDR stick and shove that it. I've found little difference in performance as most machines don't take advantage of DDR2.
phantom4youphantom
Don't compatibile men. eaven I know that...
takercena
stick on to DDR even DDR2 is more cheaper right now