FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows trouble

lockwolf
Im in deep shit when it comes to what Im working on.

So heres how it goes, I was trying to put Windows 98 on this old compaq machine that I have laying around my house. I first tried to stick the disc in and boot from it and in the midst of this, somehow I deleted the C partition and now there is no OS on the thing. I realized the disc was an upgrade so I went back and dug up an old copy of windows 95

After sticking in the windows 95 disk, it said it couldnt find the CD-Rom drive attached to it. for some whack reason, it cant. After trying to format the C partition and put at least dos on there, I screwed it up even more. Now when I boot it, it says Missing Operating System.

So my question is, how can I get an operating system onto the hard drive so I can install Windows 98?
grantmaster
Yeah, are you stuck on using windoze?

Just recently I set up an old computer (233 whole mhz!) with the DSL (Damn Small Lnux) distribution. It runs way faster that Windoze ever did or ever will. It plays movies and does internet, email, word processing, etc.. and it's fast. If hard disk space is a problem, and it probably is on an old system, you can download apps on the fly.

Since the system is torked then you might just give it a try...

In all fairness to Microsoft, you need the full version Windoze 98, or the one with the boot up floppy...
lockwolf
Thanks for the help, Im DLing it now and Ill try it out.
grantmaster
check out the documentation

there is no start button or taskbar, everyting just comes up with a right mouse click.

Once you have booted from the CD, in the menu there is an option to install to the hard disk and from there it is a piece of cake...
lockwolf
And there is where a new problem arises, for some totally whack reason when I deleted the C partition, it deleted the Hardware management tool used with Compaq computers so I cant tell it what to boot to. I tried using the bootdisk they have on their site but that didnt work.

Any solutions?
n0xvb
lockwolf wrote:
Im in deep shit when it comes to what Im working on.

So heres how it goes, I was trying to put Windows 98 on this old compaq machine that I have laying around my house. I first tried to stick the disc in and boot from it and in the midst of this, somehow I deleted the C partition and now there is no OS on the thing. I realized the disc was an upgrade so I went back and dug up an old copy of windows 95

After sticking in the windows 95 disk, it said it couldnt find the CD-Rom drive attached to it. for some whack reason, it cant. After trying to format the C partition and put at least dos on there, I screwed it up even more. Now when I boot it, it says Missing Operating System.

So my question is, how can I get an operating system onto the hard drive so I can install Windows 98?

What kind of CD-ROM drive do you have? Are you booting with floppy? If so, we can load the cd drivers at the dos level if you're booting a floppy and that should get you going with the win95.
longjack
Try to get your hands on a Windows 98 boot floppy. In 98 there is an option to create a boot floppy, so if you know someone with 98 have them make you a floppy to boot with.

type fdisk (I think it's on the 98 floppy) and delete all partitions, then create a parttion and make it active. That will be drive C

Reboot. Type format c: and let it finish.

Reboot again from the floppy. At the menu choose to load the CD drivers. Watch for the screen for the CD drive letter. It may be D or E. At the dot prompt type d:\setup or e:\setup, etc. (whichever the CD drive is) and the setup should load from the CD

If you have problems accessing the devices, watch the monitor as the machine boots up. It will say to press del or F1 (or something) to enter setup. That's the bios where you can see if the drives are recognized and set the boot order, etc. Make sure the floppy is searched first to boot, then the CD, then the hard drive if you are having problems booting from the floppy or CD.

If the machine is older the CMOS battery may be dead, so the machine won't save the hardware settings when the power is off. You'll know that if the date is way off, like 1980 or so. That may screw things up too.

HTH

longjack
n0xvb
If you can't find the win98 bootdisk, go to www.bootdisk.com and you can get it there...
grantmaster
Quote:
And there is where a new problem arises, for some totally whack reason when I deleted the C partition,
how did you achieve this?

I thought that the old compaq's kept the startup info on a separate partition???

The way to access that setup (BIOS) is by holding down shift and tapping S during the startup? It's either that or F10 or F12. Don't make me go get the old compaq out of the basement, now

If you do get a startup disk and fdisk, display the partition info first before you delete anything
grantmaster
oh, and also, the Linux distro should also have a partition manager with it...
wrightbros
its a huge pain in the ass, but you could try a floppy instal. MS may still do this; they break the windows install data into 1.4mb chunks so that if you reallly want to you can use like 50-70 floppys to instal windows.
djclue917
lockwolf wrote:

You do not need to install a different operating system just to install Windows 98 (that would be nuts you know).

The problem with the installers of Windows 98/98SE/ME is that the CD is not bootable unlike their Windows 2000/XP counterparts.

To be able to install Windows 98/98SE/ME, you need to have a boot disk (can fit in a floppy disk). Boot to the boot disk (make sure that you load the necessary drivers for CD-ROM access) then change the working directory to the CD-ROM's directory. Then, run setup.exe

I hope that helps...
iflalumni2004
Causes of problems

+wrong file format: Win98 support FAT32 or FAT
+invalid partion: Win98 not support 2 or more primary partitions

Idea How to install Windows98?

+reformat your hardrives using FAT32 or FAT file system
+install Win98 onto Drive C: because win98 can only boot form C:

Question More infomation go to http://www.microsoft.com

Smile i hope it will help you

Regards
DecayClan
I believe that he is correct.What i would suggest though, is an other solution.If what he said didn't help you, then try this:
Get a windows me cd rom.Windows me have a bootable cd-rom.
1.First of all, enter the bios, and set as a first boot device, the cd-rom.
2.Start computer with cd-rom support(its an option that it gives you when the computer starts).
3.Then write cd win9x.
4.Inside this folder, you will find all the comands that you need(partitioning, format etc...)
5.After you do everything that you want there, write setup.exe and the setup will automatically start!
6.P.S. even without the installation, folder win9x contains many usefull tools
7.Hope i helped!