FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What BB system do you like the most

What BB system do you like the most?
phpBB
61%
 61%  [ 22 ]
IPB
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
vBulletin
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
SMF
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
openBB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

supersonic
I was kind of cursious to find this out. What BB system do you like the most?

I personaly like phpBB the most, I just wanted to see what other people had to say.

In second I like vBulletin, it has some really great features (I don't have it hosted here, It is some where else). Too bad you have to pay for it Sad

P.S. I don't think that this is the right forum, but it didn't fit into any other forum.
foggy
I would only vote for the free alternatives because they are the only ones that I have ever used, but I have difficulty choosing a favorite.

phpBB-I like this one because the amount of development that has been done on it and how much the software has evolved over time. Plus, there is a large community on the main site based around it which creates many mods and styles that are very useful.

SMF-I've only had a little bit of time to play with this one, and that was a few months ago, but at that point it was looking good. It isn't quite as evolved as phpBB, but that it to be expected because it it newer. Last I checked, it had some cool mods and styles, I especially liked the one click install for the mods.

openBB-I assume this one is free, because of the word open, but I have never used it.

It's a close battle, but I think I'm going to vote for phpBB.

Also, I'm moving this to scripting.
Billwaa
I like phpBB because of all the mods it can have...
toughtrio
I donot have any idea about anything else except phpbb.
is vbp and others a good choice. Do let me know.

Warm Regards,
v3nd0r
phpbb is nice, and it's free. I know some modification to it, so the forum is even more usefull, you don't need to install mods, a lot's of it Smile

i always chose free and open source software
kenetix
I never used openBB, but I have used the rest and the one I like the most is phpBB definetly, it's free, open-source, easy to use, it has mods for everything you need, you gotta love it Smile.
mathiaus
Invision Power Board by far. It's the most powerful, looks the best and can be intergrated with other invision products such as the blogs, galleries etc. I basiclly love it. the only downfall though obviously is its price Evil or Very Mad
Also RPG inferno the nest RPG system is only available for IPB and Vbulletin

Phpbb has many good points. There are so many mods available for it which are usefull. Its easy to mod yourself and to integrate with your site (what I'm doing now!)
Zyrobot
I vote phpBB because, its FREE Very Happy But very difficult mod's instaling... Confused
garvalf4
phpBB is the most famous one.
Summer
Quote:
phpBB is the most famous one.

i dun think so . IPB and vB is the most famous one but it is not free .

But phpBB will be users choice cause its free and powerful . My phpBB has so much mods like CH (unlimited subforums) , which make it more powerful than IPB and others .
srijit
vBB, IPB, SMF, then phpBB in that order.
even though phpBB might have lots of mods, i dont want to mod my forum just to get a subforum setup. so SMF comes before phpBB. also some recent exploits for phpBB has lessend my score for it. Very Happy
let see what happens when the new phpBB3 and SMF 1.1rc2 comes out. Smile
webbone
I like phpbb,because it's strong and open source,I can to edit it!And I like discuz,It made by Chinese!
mattd8752
MattdsworldBB not really the name, their isn't a name yet, but anyway, I coded it, I am still working on it, you can check it out at mattdsworld.theicy.net, sorry for the sloppy interface.
pawelsz
I think that the best forums script ever is Invision Power Board. I can't use it on Frihost so I'll use on my website PunBB. And I hate phpBB!
DarkGoku
pawelsz wrote:
I think that the best forums script ever is Invision Power Board. I can't use it on Frihost so I'll use on my website PunBB. And I hate phpBB!
Well, providing a reason helps.

I'd choose SMF over phpBB any day... except today. With some recent installing "issues" I've lost a little bit of love for it.

But honestly, how many of you that voted for phpBB have actually tried SMF?
Lady Elensar
I only use phpBB. I've never used the other free ones before, and the paid boards I also don't use. Even if I think IPB is quite nice.
Marston
phpBB is teh pwnage.
zorindart
For me, SMF is the best. I have some websites build with joomla, and SMF integrates in it much better than other BBs.
Just yesterday (December the 31) they have released its SMF 1.1 RC2 with a lot of novelties, for instance: a new core theme, AJAX editing, so you can post without page reloads, a new feature to create a custom index for searching messages, and more.
TGWAdmin
I like using phpBB. There is a lot of customization. You can create a style that fits your web site, and there are many different styles that you can download off of their website. I have heard some good things about vBulletin, but it seems that since it costs so much, phpBB would be the best forum to use when in comes to a free forum. vBulletin probably has more features and more customization features, but I would go with phpBB.
Alienz
I prefer vBulletin. Its features and security is much better. Too bad it is not free. phpBB are my second favorite cause it is free and it is open-source.
stormybaka
I prefer simple forums, not bloated. Like minibb or similar...
Quick forum is okay...
But vanilla forum has to be different from any other forum I have ever seen: http://getvanilla.com/
thnn
I like VBulletin, because of the nice features.

However recently I have written my own forums script so I use that.
Ironz
i'm going to comment only on the free forums phpBB and SMF.

First of all, phpBB is good for its big community which means more mods, themes, and the rest of the stuff.
SMF is great for its ease of use both from the user and admin side and it contains a lot of features and that's what phpBB lacks.
Out-of-the-box, SMF is a LOT better than phpBB, it got a lot more features which come already integrated in it. If u want to get the same features you have in SMF, you have to mod phpBB a lot just to have the same features that you get in SMF integrated.
In phpBB (because of the community) you have a wide range of mods to choose from not to mention the themes.
But the SMF community is growing so its future is promissing.
Regarding security, SMF has a tighter code which means it is more secure than phpBB and it is a lot more easy to update.

In conclusion, I would choose SMF over phpBB anytime.
darkdante
I would only vote for the free alternatives because they are the only ones that I have ever used, but I have difficulty choosing a favorite.

phpBB-I like this one because the amount of development that has been done on it and how much the software has evolved over time. Plus, there is a large community on the main site based around it which creates many mods and styles that are very useful.

SMF-I've only had a little bit of time to play with this one, and that was a few months ago, but at that point it was looking good. It isn't quite as evolved as phpBB, but that it to be expected because it it newer. Last I checked, it had some cool mods and styles, I especially liked the one click install for the mods.

openBB-I assume this one is free, because of the word open, but I have never used it.

It's a close battle, but I think I'm going to vote for phpBB.

Also, I'm moving this to scripting.
gertjang
Personaly I like phpBB the most because it's an easy-to-use BB.

It's free and you can 'tune' it to get a goodlooking and complete BB.
Alie
In my opinion phpBB the best because of:
1.It's mods.
2.Easy to use and configure.
3.Very flexy.