FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using a personal domain name

Animal
Hi,

I was looking into buying a domain name to use with my Frihost site. From what I've read in other threads, it's easy to set this up through the DNS settings, and I'm fairly confident about doing that.

My question is about email addresses:

If I buy a domain name, will the DNS settings automatically convert the email addresses? For instance, if my current address was me@site.frih.net, would the domain DNS settings mean that this would become me@site.com?

If not, is there any way to configure this, or would I need to set up an automatic forward with the domain company so that emails to me@site.com were forwarded to me@site.frih.net?

And if this is the case, would I be able to use the Frihost's smtp server to send email from me@site.com, or is it directly authenticated so that I can only send email from @site.frih.net addresses?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Bondings
You should be able to do everything you mentioned. It just depends what you actually want.

After registering the domain, you need to change the nameservers to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net . It will take some time before they fully propagated, but that's all you need to to there.

Then you need to decide what you want to do on our server. Either point the domain to your current subdomain, it will show the same as your subdomain does now. Or, add it as a new domain with it's own public_html directory.

For the mail settings, you can forward all mail to an existing mail address or make a new mail address for your domain. For smtp and pop3, you should use mail.your-domain.com (or .net, .org, .name, ... ).
Animal
Sounds good - thanks very much for the info!

I'll sort out my domain etc. just now and I'll be in touch if I've got any major problems.

Thanks Bondings!
Animal
Sorry - I thought this would be a bit more straight forward, so I've got some more questions for you:

Do I need to add a new domain record in the Direct Admin DNS Settings?

And what about A, NS, MX, CNAME and PTR settings - do I have to change these.

I would like my domain name to replace my "ignte.frih.net" record, so that any urls use my e-ignite.co.uk domain (eg. e-ignite.co.uk/contact instead of ignite.frih.net/contact). I don't only want to use domain forwarding/cloaking. In order to do this, would I need to create a new subdirectory on the frih server via ftp then upload the site to there? And if so, what effect would this have on my frih account?

My domain supplier (1 and 1) only ask for nameservers under DNS settings, then they ask for a location - should the location be the IP address of my frih account shown under my Direct Admin account?

Once I have this set up, will it then be a case of creating new email accounts so I could have myemailaddress@e-ignite.co.uk?

I'm really sorry to have to bother you with this again - I was expecting 1 and 1 to offer a bit more advice on using their domain system!

Thanks again for your help!
Bondings
Normally you only need to fill in the nameservers at 1&1. I put the ip's next to it, but normally you don't need them. (only a few registrars need it)
ns1.frih.net ( 216.32.85.170 )
ns2.frih.net ( 216.32.85.171 )

Please note that after you change these, it will take 4-24 hours (or more) before they are propagated all over the internet. There is no need to check it immediately as it won't work. If you check your whois information and it displays our nameservers, then it should only be a matter of time. You can do this at http://www.dnsstuff.com/ .

Afterwards you can add the domain if you go to domain pointers. The domain will then show the same thing as your subdomain.

If you want it to be in a new folder, completely separate from your subdomain, then you should add it under advanced settings, domain administration, add a domain.

If you need more information or help, please post here or pm me with the domain name and I'll take a look at it.
Daniel15
Quote:
And what about A, NS, MX, CNAME and PTR settings - do I have to change these.

Quote:
My domain supplier (1 and 1) only ask for nameservers under DNS settings

The entries you need to change are called 'NS' entries (NS = Name Server). As you said, where your registrar asks for the Name servers, you type in FriHost's name servers.

As Bondings said, the name servers are:
ns1.frih.net
ns2.frih.net

Once you've done that, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and type your domain into the 'DNS Lookup' box on the right. The results should show '216.32.85.170' as the IP address for your domain, and ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net as the NS entries.

Hope this helped you Very Happy
Animal
Yeah, my domain seems to have been set up properly. I've added the DNS servers and checked them through a few WHOIS lookup services. The nameservers and IP addresses shown are correct, but when I type in my domain (www.e-ignite.co.uk) I get this error message:

"The URL is not valid and can't be loaded"

I set up a domain pointer (with the "alias" checkbox marked - was this right?) through Total Control as suggested by Bondings but it still doesn't seem to be working. Does a domain pointer take 24 hours to propagate? 1&1 told me that full domain functionality would be available once the domain status was "ready" in my domain control panel - it is "ready" apparently, but isn't working yet.
Bondings
Your domain seems to be working for me now. I get the same website as for your subdomain.
Animal
Hmmm.... I'm still getting a blank screen and an error message. I've tried it in a couple of browsers and cleared the cache etc.

Could it just be a propagation delay do you think?
Bondings
Animal wrote:
Hmmm.... I'm still getting a blank screen and an error message. I've tried it in a couple of browsers and cleared the cache etc.

Could it just be a propagation delay do you think?

Your computer or your isp is most likely caching it.

Maybe try to visit it with http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html . Just type the url http://www.e-ignite.co.uk/ where there is written "http://".
Animal
Must be the ISP... I've tried it with two computers from home. Oh well, need to leave it for a day or two and hopefully its cache will be cleared.

How do I set up an email accout for example myaddress@e-ignite.co.uk? If I log into Direct Admin, I don't have the option to create an @e-ignite.co.uk address.

Bondings wrote:
For the mail settings, you can forward all mail to an existing mail address or make a new mail address for your domain. For smtp and pop3, you should use mail.your-domain.com (or .net, .org, .name, ... ).

Thanks very much for all the help so far - most appreciated!
Bondings
Animal wrote:
How do I set up an email accout for example myaddress@e-ignite.co.uk? If I log into Direct Admin, I don't have the option to create an @e-ignite.co.uk address.

You're right, apparantly there isn't such an option for domain pointers. In this case, it will be better to add your domain as an additonal domain. (advanced options, domain administration) You will then need to copy the files to the other public_html folder.
Animal
Ok, I seem to have it working - I changed the domain name to e-ignite.co.uk so I wasn't using 2 different domains.

Fortunately, my ISP has re-cached e-ignite.co.uk so I can now connect to the site as normal. However, I can't log into my ftp account using either ftp.e-ignite.co.uk or ftp.ignite.frih.net - I tried setting up a new ftp account under e-ignite.co.uk, but this won't work either. I also need to use the IP address to log into the Total Control panel, e-ignite.co.uk:2222 is not working (yet?).

Could this all be because the new domain needs time to propagate?

Could I just double-check some settings with you:

Total control login - is it now www.e-ignite.co.uk:2222/ ?
Mail servers - are both pop and smtp now mail.e-ignite.co.uk ?
Am I right in saying my ftp account should be ftp.e-ignite.co.uk ?

I managed to test out the email servers too - I use my email login name @e-ignite.co.uk, but I could only connect to the mail servers using mail.ignite.frih.net - will this change?

In retrospect, it was a pretty dumb idea to rename the domain rather than setting up a new subdomain, but I thought I might avoid possible complications with having two domains and therefore two sets of settings. I didn't bypass that too well, did I!?!?

Thanks again for all your help so far - this was nowhere near as easy to set up as I first thought! I have a bad "technojoy" habit!
Bondings
ftp.e-ignite.co.uk should be fully working, I tested it. In fact it doesn't really matter which domain you use to connect to ftp, it's only the username/password that matters. You could also use ftp.frih.net to connect to it or just the ip 216.32.85.170 .

e-ignite.co.uk:2222 works fine for me. Again, it doesn't really matter which account you use, it's just a way to get to the DirectAdmin.

I wasn't able to check the mail.e-ignite.co.uk , but again it doesn't really matter which one you use, even mail.frih.net should be working.
Animal
It all seems to be working now - I wonder why my ISP was so slow compared to others in caching the site... ah well, doesn't matter now!

Thanks very much for all your help with this - it took a while, but we got there in the end. I'll let you know if I have any more problems with it, but fingers crossed, it's all plain sailing from here.

Thanks again for all the help (it's ok to close this topic now).
Bondings
Animal wrote:
It all seems to be working now - I wonder why my ISP was so slow compared to others in caching the site... ah well, doesn't matter now!

That's because you visited it before the nameservers changed. And then your isp caches it for x hours, while the nameservers changed only a few hours later. (I suppose that it's a bit more complicated though)

Anyway, if you have more questions about it, please pm me or another moderator to reopen the thread.