FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who uses Perl instead of PHP?

bboy_nycb
Until now, I haven't seen many topics about perl programming.
Does it have features that PHP don't ? Or on the contrary, is Perl a more difficult scripting language to manage than PHP?
kevin
I haven't used it much, I just tried it out for a week. It's not as easy to program in and it isn't so fully-featured as PHP.
garvalf4
I was interested in perl before, but php or python seem much more appealing (and easy for a beginner). Php is also more web oriented.
BearClaw
perl is quite powerful....just ancient

its been replaced by php/asp

i used to code with perl alot back in the day before php got popular. you can make some really good scripts with it and it can be integrated with near anything.

its just a dying language now-a-days
shabda
In one word too-difficult. Now the community too is not as strong as php community. And php is developing at a faster rate than perl.
kv
Having worked with both perl and php, I think I can tell you the difference. PHP is more oriented towards server side scripting, has lots of functions which are very easy to use, simple and appealing to beginners. Perl on the other hand is more versatile -- use it as a client script, write GUI programs, server side script or whatever. And it is more powerful. But a bit complex to learn though.
Marston
Perl is teh crap. PHP is alot easier to learn, and implement. Although, Perl is more robust than PHP... Confused
Xiecho
yeah Wink PHP is lot easier to customize than other
photon
ive never tried perl, but had to check out a simple perl script once. and i couldnt make out a bit of the code. but php is more like c or c++. at least the structure is the same and you can understand some part of it
Grimboy
Perl is a decent language but there is so much shorthand that you can't look at some code and say what it does. Perl is unclear and there is more than one way to do it and the best one isn't obvious if you have loads of 'clever' (read:impossible to come back to) syntax. I feel parrot will give perl a popularity boost.
DX-Blog
Have worked with perl a loooong time ago, in the latest years though I've hardly seen any use of it though. The only thing I could come up with are ragnarok online bots... It's just a dying language Razz.