FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Travelling around the globe. Would appreciate tips =)

yesperh
Hey guys!

On January 7th I'm leaving cold and snowy Sweden for a trip around the globe. I'll be away for five months, and now I need some tips and suggestions about what I should visit and what I shouldn't waste my time on. Since this forum have users from all over the world this might be a perfect place to ask Razz ...

Here's my route: Thailand, Australia, New Zeeland, Chile and Brazil.

Our intention is to stay about three to five weeks in every country.

Regards/
Jesper, Sweden
Deathskin
I would skip thailand, australia and new zealand and go to Japan. I mean cmon, whats there in thailand? at least in japan you have sushi.
KHO
New Mexico in the US has the best sun rises/sunsets in the world. Literally, no tall buildings and some beutiful mountains on the horizons, that makes one nice sunset/sunrise. l think if you are in the US and passing by it, its totally worth it to pass early or when the sun is setting.
n0obie4life
yesperh wrote:
Here's my route: Thailand, Australia, New Zeeland, Chile and Brazil.

I'd re-route that to

Singapore, China, Washington (or NYC or SF), Brussels

Razz

Also, if you don't plan to spend much, stay in those hotels where they charge by the hour.

edit - changed australia to china.
SkiTz
Deathskin wrote:
I would skip thailand, australia and new zealand and go to Japan. I mean cmon, whats there in thailand? at least in japan you have sushi.

Skip Australia? RACIST Sad(SadSad

Australia FTW

Come to Victoria, weather is nice down here at the moment
mele
Defenitly go to Tokyo and visit The Great Wall of China. That sure is my dream. Eventually I'll go there Very Happy
yesperh
thanks for all the replies Very Happy

but I can tell you I'm not going to change my route this time. I'll visit Japan another time =)...
In Thailand we have decided to take a diving-course, which later will be really handy when we're flying down to Cairns (Australia) later. I've heard that the Great barrier reef is one of the most fascinating things you can excperience, so I'm relly looking forward to that...
Hana
When you go to Brasil you should see the most eastern part of it near the place called Natal. Natal itself is not really special, but the surroundings are. It's special people for one - it's the least criminal place on the earth! You should go by the coast south of Natal and visit Tibau do Sul, a small village, and its surroundings. I really loved it there - it's true paradise! And tyhe good thing is it's not touristic. We swam with wild dolphins for example. Of course you can't touch them, not if they don't apporach you themselves. But they will definitly swim near you. It's great. Stay at Hotel Marinas! And eat at the restaurant of Tadeu lu Bamba! - extraordinary experience -not expensive- just unique in the world - and you must find out for yourself why because it's undescribable!!!
Hana
And by the way: I almost wanted to ask you why skip Europe, but now I see that you come from Sweden. I was going to give you one tip in Europe - Norway - but you have probably already seen you neighbour country. I think it is the most beautiful country in Europe!
52tease
You can tell that most of these people haven't traveled much in their lives. I love how they're full of opinions, though.

You have the right idea in getting certified in Thailand then heading out to Cairns. Both offer great diving (Cairns is truly amazing) and it is much cheaper to get the cert. in Thailand.

While in Cairns, take advantage of the 'happy hour' dinner specials. They don't end that early and you can usually save a good percentage off your meal.

I also recommend heading to Sydney while in Australia.

If you are interested in something really awesome, take the Chang Mai cooking course in Chang Mai, Thailand. It is an all day course...you eat two big meals and cook with total strangers. It's a great way to meet other travelers and learn how to cook authentic Thai food.

While in NZ, I suggest you check into BBH, a youth hostel association. Their places are independently run and rated by backpackers. They have a LOT MORE atmosphere than the YHA hostels and you will find them everywhere. They are truly amazing.

If you want more info on these places (I've lived in Japan and NZ as a traveler), send me a private message...
52tease
Quote:
Defenitly go to Tokyo and visit The Great Wall of China.

I certainly hope, Mele, that you realize that these two are in different countries. Tokyo is Japanese and the Great Wall is, obviously, Chinese.

They aren't even on the same landmass as Japan is an island.
Dustin
ive been to Australia its an aweosme place to visit (but to hot for me to live in). I would reccamend bringing a digital camera, and lots and lots of memory sticks