FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dynamical websites and search engines

jasperlevink
Hello Folks!

I'm making a on-line shop using dynamical content. The products are loaded from a database using PHP. I practically use one page (index.php) to display the products. Depending on the vars sent with the index.php request (i.e. index.php?category=12) other products are displayed.

Are these pages indexed right by search engines like google?
Will all my products be indexed by google? And will they get the same rating as if it would be different pages?

Thanks.
Jasper
foggy
I couldn't tell you for sure, but I've read things that suggest that some big search engines such as google do have trouble indexing sites with URL's such as the one you posted.

Don't worry, though. There is a cure. Using the Apache server add on, mod_rewrite (it is installed on the frihost server) you can change those weird URL's to normal ones in no time at all.

For example, notice how the URL of this page is http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21030.html. This is done using mod_rewrite. The page vt-21030.html does not really exist on the server, it just calls the normal page with the variables in the URL.

So, with very little programming you can make your page work better with search engines, easier to remember URL's, and URL's that look better also. such as:
http://yourdomain.frih.net/cat/12/ for index.php?category=12
or something like that

You may have noticed that I have not provided you with the means to do this. That is because there are already so many tutorials out there on the Internet. You could search google for mod_rewrite and you will, sooner than later, find something that helps you create a script to suit your needs.

Good Luck
jasperlevink
Thank you very very much!
This is one very very clear answer!!! Razz