FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need comments for my site

khairulsyahir
Hello all!

I have my website at http://khairul-syahir.1l.com. It's on 1l server, and I'm planning on moving it to Frihost.

I would appreciate any comment, whether on content, design, or layout, or anything to improve it. Have a check!

Thanks in advance!
Summer
All I could say is it has a very nice design . Wink
Yjaxygames
The design is great. Only the letters are a bit small.
khairulsyahir
Thanks Summer and Yjaxygames.

I've realised that too, that the letters are a bit small. But since I design it on my 1152 x 864 screen, I thought it'd be ok for those users with 800 x 600 screen, cause majority PC users nowadays still use 800 x 600 screen resolution.

Is it too small? Maybe I'd raise the size a bit. Have to edit the index page message though. Too long Razz .

Anyway, thanks guys, for the comments. Hope there's more to come. I really want to improve it.
Motoracer380
that looks really nice but i dont know why you have a snowboarder in the top corner...
Loathing in Fear
The site looks great, nice layout/design!
but i just noticed, that some pages are in php, and other pages are in html, why dont you change all of it to php? Very Happy
GB
The first thing that hit me was that the site loaded very slowly even though I have a fast computer. The site looks pretty and I'm happy to see that your code validates and that you are using CSS. However, the titles of the links on your homepage are a little awkward. For example, I didn't know what "works" meant. I think that "portfolio" might be better link text. Also, in the section under "links" I couldn't find anything to click on with images turned off.

Some of the links are broken such as the one to the unofficial tourism website. Also, in the PC tips section, it seems like the next button on #1 leads to the same tip. Not sure if that was just because of the long load time of the page, though. In this section in Opera, the numbers run into the "get firefox" thing.

One more thing. Sometimes when you bold, it is a link, sometimes it is just bold. I'd like to see something more consistent here like underlines under links.

Looks like a good site and I think you have a great site here.
Deathskin
the site did take a little slow, nothing too drastic (except maybe for 56k users) but who has 56k anyways mm? i really like the layout, its easy to navigate, nice colors, nice design- meaning it all flows, and i like ur graphics (of the one skateboarding dude and what not) overall really nice.
budazz
happy new year everyone....your layout is nice...
excel
Nice artwork... Eye catching
Dustinin
wow, thats a crazy design. I couldnt even dream of doing anything that graphically dynamic.

This will be an awesome addition to frihost in my opinion
khairulsyahir
Motoracer380 wrote:
Quote:
that looks really nice but i dont know why you have a snowboarder in the top corner...

Deathskin wrote:
Quote:
and i like ur graphics (of the one skateboarding dude and what not) overall really nice.

Heheh, gotta leave that.

Loathing in Fear wrote:
Quote:
but i just noticed, that some pages are in php, and other pages are in html, why dont you change all of it to php?

Originally, I built the site all in html. Some times later, I need to include some server-side code programming that I need to use php. I decided not to change everything to php because I don't want to mess with the links on other pages referring to the *.hmtl pages. Although Dreamweaver does correct the link automatically, sometimes there are a few left unchanged (I don't know why) and it's hard to track them down. Anyway, is there any benefit of converting them all to .php? The other way around, is there any downside to the pages type not being consistent (I mean, some .html and some .php)?

GB wrote:
Quote:
However, the titles of the links on your homepage are a little awkward. For example, I didn't know what "works" meant. I think that "portfolio" might be better link text.

Since portfolio is widely used, and people are more used with it, maybe I'll change that to portfolio instead.

GB wrote:
Quote:
Also, in the section under "links" I couldn't find anything to click on with images turned off.

Yeah, I just realised that the "alt" attribute for the image is there but with no value (alt=""). I'll fix that. Thanks for pointing out.

GB wrote:
Quote:
Some of the links are broken such as the one to the unofficial tourism website.

Those sites are not maintained anymore. Maybe I'm gonna remove the links.

GB wrote:
Quote:
Also, in the PC tips section, it seems like the next button on #1 leads to the same tip.

Can you point it out more specifically (page name, where, what browser you're using, etc.) cause I can't seem to find it.

GB wrote:
Quote:
In this section in Opera, the numbers run into the "get firefox" thing.

Oh, never noticed that. The site is browser-proof for Firefox and IE 6, but I haven't tested it with Opera. I don't have a copy of Opera in my computer though. Maybe I'll get one, for testing purposes (I like Firefox better, still Very Happy ). Having developed the website, this whole browsers incompatibilities are really a pain in the ass. Thank God we got W3C setting up the standards. It does minimizes the pain, but it's still painful ( Laughing , so to say)!

GB wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes when you bold, it is a link, sometimes it is just bold. I'd like to see something more consistent here like underlines under links.

I'm thinking about applying underlines for all the links, except the main Navigation.

Deathskin wrote:
Quote:
the site did take a little slow, nothing too drastic (except maybe for 56k users) but who has 56k anyways mm?

Sadly, there's a lot of 56K users still. You guys have any idea how to speed up the load? Maybe it's just the images, but then that's just for the first page, because after that the browser just take it from the cache. Also, each pages is only around 4K to 5K (minus the images), plus the main CSS takes 8K (CSS is loaded from cache too, subsequently). But I think it does load a bit slow for the first page. How about the other pages?

----------Thank You Section------------

Motoracer380 wrote:
Quote:
that looks really nice...

Loathing in Fear wrote:
Quote:
The site looks great, nice layout/design!

GB wrote:
Quote:
Looks like a good site and I think you have a great site here.

Deathskin wrote:
Quote:
i really like the layout, its easy to navigate, nice colors, nice design- meaning it all flows, and i like ur graphics (of the one skateboarding dude and what not) overall really nice.

budazz wrote:
Quote:
happy new year everyone....your layout is nice...

excel wrote:
Quote:
Nice artwork... Eye catching

Dustinin wrote
Quote:
wow, thats a crazy design. I couldnt even dream of doing anything that graphically dynamic.
This will be an awesome addition to frihost in my opinion

me:
Thanks guys, for the comments and your opinions! Really help, and please if you got any other comment or opinions, post them here or leave a message at the site's Contact section.
Rolz
Cool, I like it very much. Very Happy

Nice and clean layout, no useless pictures and pop-ups... Nice site. I also like that silver kinda color. It's all well done. Wink
GB
khairulsyahir wrote:

Those sites are not maintained anymore. Maybe I'm gonna remove the links.

Maybe instead of removing the links, you could show a picture of what the homepage looked like. Just make sure people know that it isn't a maintained website anymore and that this is a picture of what you can do.

khairulsyahir wrote:
GB wrote:
Quote:
Also, in the PC tips section, it seems like the next button on #1 leads to the same tip.

Can you point it out more specifically (page name, where, what browser you're using, etc.) cause I can't seem to find it.

Yeah, I went back to double check and I figured it out. The links are all correct, but the heading stays at 01 because you aren't finished talking about that section yet. I thought it was the same information all over again and kept clicking to find 02. Then I got to the end of that and found another link for "next PC tips" or something like that which lead me to another introduction. I guess what I'm saying is I wasn't able to figure the navigation out quickly. It all works splendidly, you may want to discover a different way of presenting the information, but it works great.

khairulsyahir wrote:

GB wrote:
Quote:
In this section in Opera, the numbers run into the "get firefox" thing.

Oh, never noticed that. The site is browser-proof for Firefox and IE 6, but I haven't tested it with Opera. I don't have a copy of Opera in my computer though. Maybe I'll get one, for testing purposes (I like Firefox better, still Very Happy ). Having developed the website, this whole browsers incompatibilities are really a pain in the ***. Thank God we got W3C setting up the standards. It does minimizes the pain, but it's still painful ( Laughing , so to say)!

I agree! I don't use Opera because it doesn't work very well with many websites. I don't know if it is really worth the effort or not. I don't think Opera is all that popular. I use it if I want to surf without images turned on. Basically the only reason I have it is for checking websites I do. Mostly I use Safari.

khairulsyahir wrote:

Deathskin wrote:
Quote:
the site did take a little slow, nothing too drastic (except maybe for 56k users) but who has 56k anyways mm?

Sadly, there's a lot of 56K users still. You guys have any idea how to speed up the load? Maybe it's just the images, but then that's just for the first page, because after that the browser just take it from the cache. Also, each pages is only around 4K to 5K (minus the images), plus the main CSS takes 8K (CSS is loaded from cache too, subsequently). But I think it does load a bit slow for the first page. How about the other pages?

Well, I would run your site through the Web Page Analyzer and follow their suggestions. Also, are your background images all *gifs? If you can lower the quality of the images, yet still retain their current appearance, that would be perfect.

I hope this helps! You have a graphically intriguing website and I love the look and feel of it. Keep up the great work!
Billwaa
well, I just think it take a little bit too long to load.

Beside that, everything is cool. Cool layoout and graphic
khairulsyahir
I figured out that the whole images size adds up to a little bit more than 50K! That must be the reason of slow load. I'll look into reducing the images size.

GB wrote:
Quote:
I don't think Opera is all that popular. I use it if I want to surf without images turned on.

There's a Firefox extension called Web Developer Toolbar that allows you to hide images, unload images, and replace images with alt attribute, among many other features.
Also, there's another extension called ImgLikeOpera that does, well, load images like Opera! You can set whether to load images or not, load cached images only or load images from the site only.

Once again, thanks for the comments and opinions! Keep them coming, will ya?
Yjaxygames
Billwaa wrote:
well, I just think it take a little bit too long to load.

Beside that, everything is cool. Cool layoout and graphic

Long to load?? What kind of computer and internetconnection do you have then??? This site opens within 5 seconds, and I'm using windows98 and an average internetconnection. And I'm able to wait for a site with those graphics.
dragonflame
it's pretty slow, for me who has a considerably fast connection. Not sure where youre hosting, but maybe optimize the images a bit?

good work! I love clean looking sites.
sugarbox
very nice but slow Laughing
pawelsz
It runs fast on my connection, I don't know why others say that it's slow. Really good design.
Srs2388
thats an awesome layout you have there
it does load really fast though....
Marston
He didnt even design the site himself... Crying or Very sad
khairulsyahir
I have reduced the site's images size to approx. 23K, that's a little bit less than half of the original images size. Also, I've removed unnecessary images for the index page from the CSS, so that it'll be downloaded when needed, instead of being downloaded at first view.

The site should load considerably faster now.

Marston wrote:
Quote:

Hey, can you please get your fact right?
GB
WOW! I read that you updated it so I went again and timed it on my watch--2.48 seconds. That's great!

BTW: I'm on a Mac G5 running OSX.4 on a T7? line here at the office for the person who wanted to know.

Thanks khairulsyahir for the tips on Firefox, I'll look into that.
Marston
khairulsyahir wrote:
Quote:

Technically, I can't get my facts right unless you tell me the facts. I just didnt notice that you own Stampede design.
khairulsyahir
GB wrote:
Quote:
WOW! I read that you updated it so I went again and timed it on my watch--2.48 seconds. That's great!

Appreciate it you took the time to actually time it! Thanks!

Marston wrote:
Quote:
khairulsyahir wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Technically, I can't get my facts right unless you tell me the facts. I just didnt notice that you own Stampede design.

I don't own Stampede-Design, but it's a label under which I'm doing my freelance work, so that invoices and correspondence will be under the parent company.

But sorry though, if I'm a bit rude to you.
Programmable
Sad
Your website is really Nice as designe

But still dead!!!!

You need to make it more active
Eather by making it denamic or by adding some scripts and animations!

Thanks Cool

If you want go to my website www.Matrix.frih.net
khairulsyahir
Actually, I don't really meant it to be that much user-interactive, cause it's more to like a portfolio. But I've thrown in stuffs that shouldn't be in a portfolio such as the PC Tips section.

I'm in the process of making another site, Khairul-Syahir v2.

Check it out and let me know what you think. It's not finished yet. Some images and all css files are not yet optimized, and the portfolio section is not yet finished. But it should be fine for preview. This time, it's on Frihost.

Oh yeah, the address.