FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buying a good PHP book

earth2
Hello-
Anyone have a suggestion on a good PHP book? I have O'Reilly PHP Programming but it reads more like a reference manual than a book for the beginner-intermediate user. I am looking for a book like Course Technology's, New Perspectives Series. Unfortunately, it seems the Course Technology textbooks cater to ASP.net and those technologies related to it. If anyone could reply back and give me a suggestion on a good "hands-on" textbook that cover beginning through intermediate PHP programming. Thanks and glad to be a member of this forum. James
avk
I think PHP ans Mysql- Larry Ullman is good!!
I did read from there

Thw support site is at www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql
charliehk
I like Sams Teach yourself PHP in 24 hours. It is simple and easy to learn!
physics
Awesome, I'm actually a fan of O'Reilly books myself. If you want something better, try out "Advanced PHP Programming" by George Schlossnagle. Despite the title of this book it is actuallly targeted more towards developing good programming skills as opposed to only honing in on your PHP skills. Also even though the title says "Advanced", the information was easy to swallow.

If later you happen to need a good reference use the search box at php.net to look up command syntax with examples. Or you can email me:
"otherchunk@hotmail.com."
charliehk
Oh, it should be "SAM Teach Yourself PHP in ten minutes", you could save more than 23 hours.

Besides simple books like the above, I also like "php & mysql web development" since it talks about related mysql concepts which makes the knowledge more useful. Afterall, php is not useful unless it combines with other related skills.

charliehk wrote:
I like Sams Teach yourself PHP in 24 hours. It is simple and easy to learn!