FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need help with the bottom taskbar on Windows XP Home!!!!!!

Squeeky
The taskbar at the bottom of my screen has stopped putting the open aplications on it. It always looks blank, just with the start button, quick launch and the other ones on the right hand side.

Does anyone know how i can get the tab down the bottom with the minimised program?

The only way i can switch between programs is with ctrl+alt+delete and it is time consuming and annoying!!

Please help

Thanks.
xorcist
I really dont know what's the problem now, but an easier way to switch between programs now until someone fixes is alt+tab. Its just an easier way to do that for now but when I figure out what's wrong ill post back here. If you want to switch between like 3 tabs or more just hold alt and press tab to keep switching between the programs.
Animal
Sounds like an explorer crash - this sometimes happens, but if it's persistent, you might want to try a Windows reinstall.

If it's only happening occasionally though, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and select the "processes" tab. Find "explorer.exe" then select it and hit "End Task". Then, go into FILE, New Process (Run) and type "explorer" and hit return.

As a quick aside: You don't need to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to swap between applications. You can do it by holding down ALT and pressing TAB.

Hope this helps!
izcool
Another thing you can do is hitting the Windows Logo key (the one that's generally between Ctrl and Alt), hitting Tab, then hitting Enter. That's the other way to switch between programs that you have open.

- Mike.
clip
it's either you modofied your explorer.exe file, or your computer is infected with a virus or a spyware. and i can only suggest a reinstall. once your software's acting wierd, he best thing to do is a fresh installation!
grantmaster
Quote:
it's either you modofied your explorer.exe file, or your computer is infected with a virus or a spyware. and i can only suggest a reinstall. once your software's acting wierd, he best thing to do is a fresh installation!
A re-install of the operating system is what is usually recommended by people who don't actually know the answer to a problem. Don't re-install yet!

First, do you see the little slider controls on the various sections of your taskbar? They look like a menu break followed by a raised bar and when your mouse goes over them it turns into the directional arrows. [img]http://fptester.netfirms.com/images/taskbar.jpg [/img] it may have the double arrows by it indication it can be expanded. Sometimes you may have two of those bunched up at one side of the taskbar so one will appear to be hidden. Just drag them out and see what is hidden underneath...
dragonflame
you might want to try a reinstall of xp sp2 too, if you dont want to reinstall all your apps.
KHO
ok,
1: use ALT+TAB it is much easier Neutral
2:Make sure the field for your apps is not shrunken, there will be a dotted border in there, play with that and see if it helps, if you can't see it, right click and make sure "lock the taskbar" isn't checked.
3:spyware/trojan scan
Squeeky
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I must have somehow stuffed up exporer.

Grantmaster:
I tryed that but it just changed the size and mover the buttons (what it is sposed to do) but didn't make any difference to the minimised stuff.

I have downloaded something called an "objectdock". It is like the bar on the bottom of Mac OSX. It has my minimised stuff on it. But still not the windows taskbar.

Does any know how I can reinstall exporer.exe only? I don't really want to re install windows then have to update 50million updates and put all my programs on. That is what I will do if worst comes to worst.
Is there a way of installing windows without lossing files and programs?

Thanks again
anubis26
hmmm...
could you post a screenshot here? you can do that by hitting print-screen on ur keyboard and then pasting into paint.

Also,
many explorer issues can be fixed by using 'recovery mode' on the windoze xp cd, but it is very risky and requires a lot of research

cheers,
anubis
longjack
Squeeky wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I must have somehow stuffed up exporer.

Go to this site:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Along the top is an alphabetical index. Click on the letter "T".

The third link down is called : "Minimized Programs Missing"

If you click on that you will be asked to download a VBS script.

I looked at the script in a text editor. It looks like some malware running through Internet Explorer turned off the setting in the taskbar that will load the minimized windows.

The script looks like it removes the Registry keys that start the malware then it resets the taskbar setting back to allowing minimized windows.

The site seems legit to me. The problem seems to be a common one, also.

HTH

longjack
Squeeky
It is fixed now!!!!!

Thank you longjack!

I ran that script and it fixed it immediately. That site is awsome to (have bookmarked it).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Squeeky out
gh0stface
Problem resolved.

-Locked-

PM me or any other moderators to have this thread reopen if need be. Smile