FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What kind of keyboard is this?

xorcist
Click Here and please tell me what is that called I think its for computers with the keyboard and mouse on the same thing. I just need to buy one for an old computer.
Monster
i think its a PS/2 5Pin DIN
something like that Confused
toshlad
For those of us who have been in the IT industry for a while (coming up for 18 years) this is what keyboard connectors used to look like.

This is known as a AT keyboard connector.

RS sell a convertor for PS2 - AT so that you can buy any new keyboard and use it on an old type PC.

I hope this helps.
xorcist
Does anyone know where I can buy one of those keyboards from in the United States or online. I need the keyboard and the mouse for it I think it comes all in one or it is connected to the back of the keyboard something like that.
darknesscloud
yea try tiger direct last time i was there i saw some
Pikokola
well, it' slooks like the old style (PS2) I think they used for the older PC, my friend seacrh fot it for about 2 months and still doesn't find it, where did you get that?

Or maybe you can use the connector ~ simply like an PS2-Usb connector.
headlong
Is it for a personal computer? I know that for most SUN workstations, the mouse is plugged to the back of the keyboard instead of the back of your computer.
izcool
Generally you see those keyboard connectors on Pentium 1 machines and below, you won't see them on any machine newer than that. For the mouse, that machine will probably need a serial mouse, as they didn't have the PS/2 connectors that we use now back then. You might be able to get a PS/2-to-Serial adapter for the mouse.

Just to let everyone know, I recently sold a keyboard with that connector (it was a Northgate OmniKey 102 keyboard) on eBay for near $100.00. It sold for so much because people loved it because it was virtually indistructible.

Don't bother getting a keyboard at a retail store for a machine that old, you'll generally find a good enough keyboard with that connector at your local thrift store for a couple of bucks. At my local thrift store they sell them for about $5 apiece. Not as high as $50 as most stores sell them for. They might not even sell the keyboard as it's too old, maybe an adapter for it.

- Mike.
Quake
LOL, I remember having a keyboard connector like that on my Pentium 1 100mhz computer - that was WAY back in the good old days... Hmm, I have seen some converters that go from that to the newer ps2 format and some that go the other way... But as far as mice go I have never seen one with a connector like that. Only original serial, USB and ps2 connectors for mice. Of cource that does not go to say that mice like that do not exist. Anyway I know there are converters for stuff like that because i have seen them. Hope that was helpfull....
charliehk
Yeah, it looks like an AT keyboard connetor, but as I remember that was in the era of 80286 or 386...

I thought that might be found in a computer museum...

toshlad wrote:
For those of us who have been in the IT industry for a while (coming up for 18 years) this is what keyboard connectors used to look like.

This is known as a AT keyboard connector.

RS sell a convertor for PS2 - AT so that you can buy any new keyboard and use it on an old type PC.

I hope this helps.
grantmaster
It's the old keyboard connector (AT)

adapters can be found everywhere

I have old keyboards around, if you want one I'll send it for the price of shipping

or I can just send an adapter, got those too!
pudovkin
Try Black Box.
kido
yeah. PS2-At adapters are almost everywhere. But mostly, the old PS2/AT keyboards comes with adapter too. But there are also reverse adapters too.

PS2-USB or USB-PS2

Can be found in most shops. I live in Singapore so i can only say check out Popular Bookstore or wal-mart [not avail in Singapore, so i just say for fun.]
wrightbros
i think most people refer to this keyboard type as "AT". it should be dirt cheap to get at a GOODWILL store (1-2 bucks).
Kyle Katarn
Yeah, I see these all the time at the Salvation Army, or Goodwill. I've got a couple lying around myself. And according to an older book (Windows 95) I have, it's called a PS/1, or a DIN.