FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

private HTML

Eyre
I've used the search function, and everything just confuses me, so here goes:

I uploaded one of my pages into the private section of public_html. Now when i try to view it i get the login thing, and i put in my username and my cpanel password but it won't do it. How do i know what my password is?
wumingsden
I'm not too sure what you mean. Do you want to password protect a file/directory? if so then there is a function in the CP to do this. I thinks its called "PASSWORD PROTECTED PAGES". I would check but I believe that Server 2 has just gone down again.
Eyre
like, when i upload my page into the private folder, and then try to view it, it asks me for a password (expected) but my cpanel password doesnt workl.
wumingsden
if you click on the "protect" button on the folder option, which for you is private_html it should say this:

Quote:

Protected Directory Prompt: eg: Member's Area
Set/Update User: (Not required)
and Password:
Re-Enter Password:

Enter all the information that you want. That should be it. You can have more than 1 username/password.
Eyre
i can't do it Razz oh well. i just wont put anything in there, thanks for helping me Wink
wumingsden
What can't you do? Why not ask a Moderator to help you out. I believe that they can access your account which might be able to solve your problem. If you don't want to contact them then I would advise you to create a folder in the public_html root and protect it with the thing that I mentioned above (Password Protected Pages). Upload any files you like and that way there password protected. Try not to give up.
Daniel15
Since you're on cPanel, here is how you password protect a directory:

Go to cPanel --> Password Protect Directories. Choose the directory, and a new screen will come up. Tick the ' Directory requires a password to access via the web' box. Where it says 'Protected Resource Name', type in a small description (eg. 'Secret Area'). Next, under Username and Password at the bottom, you may add as many users as you want to.

Hopefully, this helps you Very Happy