FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing WinXP Pro On WinME (Help Much Appreciated!)

Freezon
Hello everyone. I was about to purchase a copy of winXP pro to install on my old computer (it has winME) but remembered: my new computer has no floppy drive. Do I need a boot disc to start the winXP install from the disk?

ALSO, I need help converting the filesystem FAT32 (WinME) to a NTFS (WinXP) filesystem on my old computer. (Maybe the winXP installer does this automatically?)

Sorry for all the hassle, but I have never installed winXP so I need a bit of help.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated. Thanks!
elekis
hue...i m not shure what I m saying, but you can even start on usb disk if you want .

other think, winxp is a boot disk but if you push it in the driver cd, you reboot, and the installl doesn't began ,try that.

on the boot, somehere there written "press X key to go to the bios" (X is esc or del thats depend of your boot try.)

on the bios, there a boot driver menu or something like that.

here, thats depend or bios, myn, I have only 1 chose, so I put IDE Driver cd-ROM, I install and After I put back ide Drive disk. but that depend of your bios (again) just read, and note what is it the fisrt time, if you have trouble, come back.

winxp installation by default is ntfs, but its explain on the installation.

if that's help you...

a+++
toshlad
Well installing XP is the easiest of all the Windows versions.

Just boot up your PC, insert your CD and then wait for the wiard to start.

All will questions you have will be answered during the install.

I hope this helps.
Silence
Freezon wrote:
Hello everyone. I was about to purchase a copy of winXP pro to install on my old computer (it has winME) but remembered: my new computer has no floppy drive. Do I need a boot disc to start the winXP install from the disk?

Boot from the CD-rom, then the installer will start if you press a key.

Freezon wrote:

ALSO, I need help converting the filesystem FAT32 (WinME) to a NTFS (WinXP) filesystem on my old computer. (Maybe the winXP installer does this automatically?)

You don't need to change to NTFS WinXP works with Fat32 too but if you want to change then the installer will ask you to choose which you want.
darknesscloud
no u dont need a boot disk windows xp has its own partitionins software
Freezon
Wow you guys made it sound so easy, so let's give it a go. I just picked up and CD and am going to install it tomorrow. Right now, it is off to bed, goodnight all.
izcool
Here's what I recommend :

- Back up all of your important files onto CD's or on another network computer. (Reformatting is much better than installing over an old operating system). If not, then that's fine. Just boot with the CD in your CD-ROM drive. If it doesn't come up with "Press any key to boot from CD..." when you boot, check your BIOS settings and make the CD-ROM boot before your hard drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. It'll ask you to press F8 to agree to an agreement, and then shortly thereafter you'll be asked things on how you want to install your system. If you have an old OS on your computer, it'll ask you what you want to install Windows XP onto. You can delete partitions on your hard drive or install on an existing partition. If you were to reformat it completely, meaning that you wipe everything clean, you delete all of the partitions and start fresh. Generally, I like that a lot more. Maybe it's different for you. If you install on an existing partition that uses FAT32, it will ask you if you want to convert. Generally, NTFS is better for bigger hard disks. It asks you what file format you want to use if you format a system with a new operating system, so if you choose both routes, you'll get almost the same question.
- When it finishes doing the DOS part of the install, it will probably reboot and get you will get a nicer looking install screen. From here, it will ask you the serial number and all with your name, the time, and a few settings about your network. If you don't know what to choose with some of the options, just leave them at what they chose.
- After your system reboots again, it will welcome you to Windows XP and want you to create user accounts. Shortly thereafter, it will check to see if your computer has a Modem or a high-speed connection through a network. I think it will try to register your copy of Windows XP through the Internet first. If that doesn't work, then you will have to call them up to get it activated. If you do not activate Windows XP within one month, your system will lock out and not be able to be bootable again, unless you register it. So it is very important.

That's about it. I hope I've helped a little, and didn't make it sound too hard.

- Mike.
djclue917
Freezon wrote:
Do I need a boot disc to start the winXP install from the disk?

No. You do not need a separate boot disk (floppy disk) to install Windows XP (the same goes for Windows 2000) because the install CD of Windows XP/2000 is already bootable. Just boot from the CD to install Windows.

To be able to boot to CD, please make sure that the boot order/priority of the CD-ROM is higher than the HDD. Else, the system will not boot to the CD-ROM but instead, to the HDD.

Freezon wrote:

Why do you want to use NTFS instead of FAT32? Windows XP does not really require that your filesystem should be NTFS. It works fine in FAT32. However, if you truly want to take advantage of the NTFS' capabilities, you may convert your existing FAT32 partitions into NTFS ones.

The installer has an option to convert FAT32 partitions into NTFS ones.

HTH
amirkpe
Freezon wrote:

you don't need a floppy drive. windows XP CD is bootable and you can change your BIOS setting to boot your computer from a cd drive.
Quote:

I suggest you to keep your FAT32 file system. Changing to NTFS will be just a limitation to you.