FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Am I wired for life ?

izcool
Hey everyone,

I just thought about it a few minutes ago - as scary as it may sound, I think I may be wired for life. Just take a look at how I am :

- My hobby is computers (mostly hardware side, some programming, but not as much as before).
- I own 14 desktop computers.
- I built 3 of the 14 desktop computers myself.
- I own 2 laptops (1 Compaq LTE 5400, ancient, and 1 Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that I owe my dad $400.00 on).
- I own 3 PDA's (HP iPAQ H1940, Compaq iPAQ 3670, and a very old Compaq Handheld PC).
- I own an Apple iPod Mini (4GB).
- I have a cellphone. (I got it yesterday, it's a Motorola RAZR V3 through T-Mobile).
- I shop for items to make my collection of hardware better instead of shopping for clothes, like most other teenages my age do.
- My age ? 16.

Am I wired for life ?

- Mike.
tidruG
Shocked
My dear boy...
All I can say is "May god Bless You".
Nicekiwi9
lol, wow u got da stuff,

I got about 8 or so desktop computers, all built by myeslf, a few lappys, a cellphone, and i somehow spend all my spare ( and alotta not spare) cash on computers, lol Razz

so im sorta wired, but i could still do with a few more AMD 64's and some P4s lol

oh, i jus memberd I got a Teddybear so i AM all set Very HappyVery Happy Very Happy Laughing

and im ONLY 18, lol... so young......
schudder
DUDE! I'm just fine with my two desktops, one laptop, one cellphone, one programmable calculator (gotta keep busy eh Razz ) and a digital watch Wink
Jeremy
From what it sounds like you are rich. I think you just have way to many computers for the age that you are. But that is pretty cool that you build some of your desktop computers. I will love to learn to do that. It kind of sound to me like you like technogiue and stuff like that. I think that is kind of weird for your age that you have that many computers...

why would you need that many computers.....? I only have one desktop and one labtop, one for out of the house and one for when i am in the house.
Slammer
Any chance of sending over some of your spare desktops for me? Laughing
izcool
Haha thanks everyone.

No, I'm not rich. Nearly every computer that I have was second-hand from someone else. Two of the ones that I've built I mostly bought new parts for, some parts in them were used from my collection of miscellanious things that I wanted to use somewhere. The third machine that I built was almost entirely from my collection of parts, very few things that I bought in it are new. The third machine I built is a Pentium 2 (I want to get a Pentium 3 chip for it soon) and the first two that I built are Pentium 4 machines.

As I said, almost all of my computers that I got are second-hand. Since I live in the Chicagoland area, it's common to find good computers at the thrift store (I bought a Pentium 4 1.7GHz machine at the thrift store for around $30.00, freaking amazing !!) and in the garbage. It's amazing to see what people donate or throw away. I think I've added it up and I've spent probably $1200.00 on my computer stuff. I owe $400.00 back to my dad on the laptop he bought me. I only paid $200.00 on it so far.

I have a part-time job now (started at the end of July) and I make about $70.00 a week, which doesn't last long.

Just recently, I've pulled 4 working monitors out of the garbage in my local area. 2 of them are 17" (1 is flat, the other is curved), and the other 2 are 15". So, it is good living close to the city.

Some of my computers work for a project called Seti@Home (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/) which (put simply) looks for aliens through a radio telescope. Most of the other machines I own just sit around and do nothing (at the time being, because my bedroom is small, heh). Soon, I hope to move to a bigger house and get more usage out of my machines for Seti@Home.

- Mike.
sibbahz
I have a lot of old computer equipment, but only one self made pc which i never use and a new laptop which i do.
Used to be a fan in making old crappy computers work but given that up.
I do seem to have a large collection of crappy cell/mobile phones which all work and loads of free sim cards.
Im kinda nuts but i havnt spent much on this.
Got my laptop as payment for a site i made, which subsequently had to be moved to frihost as a temporary measure as the old paid host went down.
bdoneck
im kind of the same as you, but i dont own that much stuff O_O i have a computer i bought from dell, but almost none of the original parts are left in it, just the processor and motherboard basically

but anyways, yup you're destined to be a nerd for life just like me ^_^ i spend at least 6 hours on my computer daily
BearClaw
wow....GEEK ALERT!

lol I shouldn't talk....I have linux running on my iPod...

I too like to drive around and pick up old computers that people leave out for trash. Good for scraps and servers.
guissmo
izcool wrote:
Hey everyone,

I just thought about it a few minutes ago - as scary as it may sound, I think I may be wired for life. Just take a look at how I am :

- My hobby is computers (mostly hardware side, some programming, but not as much as before).
- I own 14 desktop computers.
- I built 3 of the 14 desktop computers myself.
- I own 2 laptops (1 Compaq LTE 5400, ancient, and 1 Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that I owe my dad $400.00 on).
- I own 3 PDA's (HP iPAQ H1940, Compaq iPAQ 3670, and a very old Compaq Handheld PC).
- I own an Apple iPod Mini (4GB).
- I have a cellphone. (I got it yesterday, it's a Motorola RAZR V3 through T-Mobile).
- I shop for items to make my collection of hardware better instead of shopping for clothes, like most other teenages my age do.
- My age ? 16.

Am I wired for life ?

- Mike.

Give me all your computers and you're not wired anymore. Haha.
TimsJugling
My advice for you is START A CYBERCAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you would make sooooo much money depending on where you live. Then you could pay off your loan to your dad (the 400 bucks)

And yes you are wired for life. lol

Im only 14 but I own two desktops about 2000 games including Console games

A nice CD Player, a walkman, a diskman, im getting an Mp3 player. And alot of wireless hardware for my desktops.
tordana
Wow. 14 Desktops?! I have exactly one computer--a laptop. But it's an alienware, which makes it worth about 5 computers in my opinion. Razz
Srs2388
that is a ton of computers
nah, i dont think your wired for life..... thing is
dont stay inside with the computers all the time and become pail
and obsessed
just take a few breaks I think its a good think you have the knowledge to do all of this though, you can do alot with all the knowledge you acquire you can fix computers for people and charge a small fee and more money.... just a thought
DarkGoku
I have;

1 desktop
1 CD player
No ipod
No cell-phone
No laptops
No PDA's
and I haven't built a computer yet.
izcool
Ok I just went all over my room taking photos and I think I've gotten everything that I've listed at the start of this thread. There's 8 photos that I've put as icons below, with a small description on what's in them.

4 PC's that are unplugged mostly doing nothing in front of my printer. The one on the far left and the one in the middle (right middle) are ones that I've built, the other 2 I've either gotten for free or bought somewhere.

2 PC's on the right that are working for Seti@Home, and my one laptop on the left. Behind that laptop is one of my PDA's, that I hardly ever use.

A view of my main PC (right) and the first PC that I built (left) that are hooked up to a KVM switch in the middle above my speaker's subwoofer. (Yes, the chair is really old, I've used it for years).

Another machine working for Seti@Home on the right, with a really slow Pentium 1 machine on the left in the back. In front of that is a spare 15" monitor that I picked out of someone's garbage nearby that still works. People are so wasteful. And of course, on the top, part of my book collection and software titles for computers.

My laptop that I owe my dad $400 on the left, with my monitor that power my main PC and my one custom machine.

Three machines you can see in this one. On the right and in the back is my server (really loud thing), my old PC (before I got a new main machine) on the bottom, and on top of that is a PC that I pulled out of a neighbor's garbage which does work for Seti@Home. Again, people are so wasteful.

This machine I hardly ever use (you can barely see it). It's buried under 2 spare monitors (one that I pulled out of a neighbor's garbage also, heh).

My collection of portables (2 iPAQ's, my iPod Mini, and my cellphone).

Whew, it doesn't seem like I've got that many things lying around. Shocked

- Mike.
Dustin
IF you keep gettin stuff then yea your wired for life....i can only dream of having two desktops so that way i would be able to play battlefield 1942 (my favoritae game) with my friends that come over isntead of switching off and on like we usually do. Gets pretty boaring
blackant
hehehe.. you can always switch wireless. Very Happy
don't worry, you are not alone here. Laughing
falconfx
Well, what do you mean for "wired"? I can only say that you are very lucky!

Keep up the good "work"... Wink
April_May
:DWow dude. Awesome your with it in a good way. Cool You should keep making computers and working with them. you could probably make a good business out of it. Lol. We have.. 3computers, 2 more that dont work and.. a laptop and five mobiles, fax, portable harddrives and a few other things. Im only 15 too, so your not alone! Well, they arent all mine but.. i use them more then anyone else. Razz
snowflake
Woah, crap, that is a lot of desktops.. Razz We've got heaps of random electronic items so yeah, no worries, you're definitely not alone. Smile 3 desktops, 3 not in use/not working, couple o' printers here and there, mobiles, fax machine... and more. Wink
izcool
I find it comforting that I'm not alone with so many things. I do have lots of spare printers, monitors, keyboards, mice, and internal parts for machines as well. I'm not really documenting that stuff since they're not the actual PC's themselves.

I have already started to go wireless. My Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop (which I owe my dad $400.00 on) has wireless built into it (which I take advantage of instead of using a cable to get internet to it, which I can do if I ever so desired). I bought a wireless router at the thrift store for $5.00 without the antennas (what a deal ay ?) but I bought replacement extended antennas for about $30.00 in total from Radio Shack. So my wireless router that retails for about $100.00 I bought for about $35.00. Plus, I bought extended antennas, so I can get a farther signal around the house.

This is what I have that's supposed to power my network, a U.S. Robotics 4-port router with 802.11g wireless. I have 2 8-port Zonet switches plugged into my router to expand how many computers I can plug into it. I have a very old Linksys 5-port hub but I don't have it hooked up as I've not gotten it that big yet. Very Happy

Yeah, maybe I'm insane.

- Mike.
JayBee
the reason is ..... dont use computers only for computing
there are other ways
Helios
Geeky Shocked

Anyway, if you like it - do it.

Hmm.. you can build a server from all the useless machines.
Just like that guy did.. the admin of polarhome.com

(Can't say if it's a bad thing.. that's your opinion(oh, memories Wink ))
KHO
Yes, but is that a bad thing?? l wish l had that much tech stuff Neutral l will not release my age, but l have 3 Desktops(two built myself), a notebook l just ordered today with a bunch of extra stuff, a cell, working on making an mp3 player Neutral (not exactly working the way l wanted it to Neutral), any clothes l do buy have something nerdy about them Neutral l got some of those retractable phone line cords just so it could remind me of the dial up (l love the sound it makes when connecting Neutral). Technology rocks, and being wired for life sounds good to me!!
Jack_Hammer
What is the point?, and a simple question, Why are you buying a mobile phone when you still owe your Dad 200 ($400)??? and surely out of the 14 machines 3 PDA's ect. how many of them do you actually use day to day?

Personally I would be hapy with a couple of upto-date machines, One with Linux so a fairly old machine still can do alot but no need to be OTT and a second (two dual core processors) with Windows because of the games and stuff you can't always do or get to work wih linux.
izcool
The thing is that I'm not paying for my phone, it was a christmas gift from my father to me for this year. He's paying the bill as it's tied in with his account. That's all he got me for christmas this year, it was a year's cellphone service. Maybe if I'm lucky he'll do some of the following years. Please don't jump to conclusions right away.

- Mike.
KHO
Neutral then why do you owe him money for it?? lf it was a Christmas preasent then it should be free and you should only have to pay future months, so you should currently not owe anything Neutral
valkyrie-heavens
holy thats alot of shoit... i only got one desktop computer thats shity, and one cellphone. i wish i was you....
adwya
Laughing

holy thats alot of shoit

what it means???
izcool
KHO wrote:
Neutral then why do you owe him money for it?? lf it was a Christmas preasent then it should be free and you should only have to pay future months, so you should currently not owe anything Neutral

My dad is paying for my cellphone, I still owe him $400.00 on my laptop. I have about $91.00 right now, I'm trying to save up to help pay it back. It's coming along but very slowly.

- Mike.
PatTheGreat42
I like old computer stuff. Not really old, but last generation, ya know?

It tends to be cheap and works well enough.
digibluez
shees giveme one then you got oe bourden less to carry to the grave :}
t4tommy
Hey Mike.
I'm 25
From Canada. Been all over.

I have jumped in a sumpster for an crt flatscreen.. many times.
I have built full systems and sold them for a living at a few points in my life.

recycling and re-using is are principles I was raised to beleive are important.

good on ya for getting some good stuff to work.

making something out of nothing is cool.

I would say you dont need all those PCs.

You should find a needy family who needs one and do a good deed for x-mas...
then sella few of them too

; )

try to make a business out of what you do. it sounds like you love it.
jinnixue
hey, when you think you've tired with some devices, why not sell them on eBay? maybe this can be your part time job, Very Happy