FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dreamweaver or Golive?

erikwinterstam
Whats best to use, Golive or Dreamweaver?? Any ideas?

I personally believe Golive is better, can anyone convince me the opposite?
Any other apps that you would recommend?

Thanks, Erik
Simulator
I like Dreamweaver, just for the look of it, but I never really use any of the EXTRAS that come with it, just as a text editor...
sonam
I am happy with Dreamweaver!
misterdimiz
So I have to choose...
any other software? Sad

Ok.

Dreamweaver.
krazyfire
dreamweaver is much better but a big price tag
eznet
I personally choose Dreamweaver. As of late I have moved to notepad and textpad (i like the markup) but for years I jumped around wysiwyg editors trying to find the most intuitive and richest program.

I have used go-live, dreamweaver, Nvu(free and open-source!), FrontPage and a few others. I must say that dreamweaver offers a lot on many levels. It is a great editor for a novice as well as an advanced web-designer; but as mentioned in a previous post it packs a heck of a price tag.

I cannot personally vouch for Nvu as I only used it shortly before taking up coding but if you want a free editor that will compete in functionality with the big boys you should check it out.. after all it is free so what do you have to loose?
jaminx
I really like Dreamweaver, but as the poster stated above I'm not sure it's worth the $$$ that I paid for it.

<buttkissing>Which is why I need a free web host like the fantastic FriHost... because Macromedia took all of my web funds</buttkissing> Cool
ammonkc
I have both dreamweaver and GoLive. I've never really used GoLive enough to comment on it, but I have used Dreamweaver a lot. I do really like dreamweaver, but I really only use it as a text editor for coding. I don't even know how to use the extensions and other features. but dream weaver is a pretty powerfull program. I mostly started using for its ftp functions and CVS like checkin /checkout features. checkin/checkout comes in handy when working on a project with a team.
lately I've been opting for a more light weight editor for my php coding. its called "php studio" and I really like it. its not as bulky as dreamweaver, it has syntax highlighting, and it lets you execute your code right in the editor for debugging. if there is an error it will stop on the line with the problem. makes debugging your code really easy. I wish dreamweaver had this. maybe it does. but I haven't found it yet.
ohmega64
Exchange Server 5.5/2000/2003 Features Comparison
Updated: March 15, 2005
Disaster Recovery
Key: = Feature included = Feature not included
Features Exchange Server 5.5 Exchange 2000 Server Exchange Server 2003
Clustering
Two-node clustering

Four-node clustering

Eight-node clustering

Cluster failover time improvements

Storage
Mount points overcome the 26-drive letter limitation

Standard storage area network (SAN) connectivity

Backup and Restore
Standard backup with non-Microsoft hardware

Database backup (Volume Shadow Copy service)

Mailbox Recovery Center tool

Restore Storage group

Performance
Memory Allocation Improvements
2-gigabyte (GB) standard allocation

3-GB user mode

/USERVA memory switch (requires Microsoft Windows Server 2003)

Public Folders
Public folder store replication improvements

Distribution list caching improvements

Suppression of Out of Office messages to distribution lists

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003–cached Exchange Server mode

Security
Server
Internet Protocol security (IPSec) support for front-end and back-end clusters

Cross-forest Kerberos authentication with Outlook 2003 (requires Microsoft Metadirectory Service [MMS] and Outlook 2003)

Signed Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) requests to Active Directory directory service

Front-end and back-end Kerberos authentication

Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 security and dedicated application mode

Distribution lists are restricted to authenticated users

Real-time Safe and Block lists

Inbound recipient filtering

Advanced junk e-mail message filtering and protection (requires Outlook 2003)

Exchange Server Intelligent Message Filter advanced junk e-mail message filtering

Virus Scanning API 2.5 (requires non-Microsoft antivirus software)

Attachment blocking in Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access

Public folder permissions improvements for unknown users

Restricted submissions improvements

Mobility
Outlook Web Access
Outlook Web Access user interface (UI) and feature set improvements

Outlook 2003 performance improvements through MAPI compression

HTTP access from Outlook 2003 (requires Windows Server 2003)

cHTML, xHTML, and HTML mobile phone browser support

Exchange Server ActiveSync

Pocket PC and Smartphone support

Up-to-date notifications synchronization (requires Microsoft Windows Mobile–based devices such as Pocket PC and Smartphone)

Outlook Mobile Access
Outlook Mobile Access user interface (UI) and feature set improvements1

1 Requires Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Collaboration
Real-time collaboration such as Instant messaging (IM), presence awareness, Audio and Video Collaboration, Application and Whiteboard sharing

Features provided by Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005
Features provided by Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005
Web Conferencing

Features provided by Microsoft Office Live Meeting
Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server Web Parts (requires SharePoint Portal Server and/or Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services)

Advanced managed, remote accessible application programming interface (API) for collaborative application development

Microsoft Exchange Server customers with a valid EA/SA (valid up to October 1st, 2003) coverage are eligible for one Live Communications Server Standard Edition server license for each Exchange Server license and one Live Communications Server CAL for each Exchange CAL covered under the agreement. For more details on this offer, please see the Live Communications Server FAQ page.
Note: If your company's EA or SA coverage expired after October 1, 2003 and was renewed without attaching SA to Live Communications Server, you are not eligible to receive Live Communications Server 2005 and must purchase licenses separately.
Manageability
Administration
Exchange Server System Manager running on Windows XP

Queues are centralized on a per-server basis

UI improvements

All system queues are exposed

Cookie authorization enablement

Move log files and queue data using Exchange Server System Manager

Public folder Send hierarchy

Public folder Search capabilities

Public folder Send Contents

Public folder affinity to control referrals

Public folder migration from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003

Multi-user Move Mailbox function

Dynamic distribution lists

Management
Multiple Windows forest support (requires MMS)

Automatic error reporting

1,700 Exchange Server–specific events using the Exchange Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) (requires MOM)

Deployment
Deployment and migration tools

Active Directory Connector improvements

Internet Mail Connection Wizard

Multiple Mailbox Move tool

Development
Collaboration Data Object (CDO)

By : http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/features/ex_compare.mspx
lillegrill
I use Dreamweaver.. have tried Go Live a few times but not enough to make a qualified review. I like the "coder" interface and the ftp utility in Dreamweaver. It's not good for CSS designing (design view in Dreamweaver MX), but I have heard that the newest version of Dreamweaver is far better at this.
JayBee
when you dont use MS word for "web pages creation" i think it desnt metter if you use Dreamweaver or GoLive
but while adobe acquire macromedia, a think thay will stop support of golive because Dreamweaver is better Smile
I personally use Vim for everything I want Smile)
pawelsz
Dreamweaver - I'm using it for about half year.
Aelita
Dreamweaver. Its a better program and it works well with a lot of other programs. And because I said so Razz
PatTheGreat42
Are you looking specifically for a wysiwyg editor? Because I've been using the free version of Maguma for a while now. It's a text editor, but it colors in tags and such, and the coolest bit is that it has a built-in FTP client, so you can automatically open and save documents to and from the web.
zorindart
I'm an user of Dreamweaver since vs.3 and all can I say is that it has become an impressive tool for building websites.
There is few things (if any) that you can not do with this program. The support is excellent, and is quite easy to use.
Furthermore, you may take in consideration Adobe has joined Macromedia, so it's most likely that GoLive will cease its development.
DX-Blog
Dreanweaver, has been my standard for years and I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.
kimi1974
None. Only Edit Plus. Text editor, but fast like MS notepad...Smile
Alya
I tried several, and Dreamweaver is a clear winner
It's intuitive and easy to figure out. I didn't have to read a helpmanual for hours to start using it.

I don't often use all of those advanced functions, but I think it's important they be there for when I will need them.
bigtwballer
dreamweaver hands down. it is way better, ive used both. dreamweaver is more user friendly
rohan2kool
EditPlus 2 for me.
matt87
I have never used Golive before and I use Dreamweaver all the time. So far I haven't had a problem with it so I am going to stick to using Dreamweaver for now.
Slowhand
First I have to say Dreamweaver is, I think, alot easier to use. But if u use GoLive you have a better intregration with Adobe Photoshop CS (2). When you are a newbie you should use Dreamweaver I guess..
krazycapital
Between those two, Dreamweaver. But my favorite webpage editor of all time is microsoft notepad, and second would be text-pad.
blueway
If you want to choose between Dreamweaver and GoLive, I suggest you Dreamweaver

But you have an option for dreamweaver, a free complete Web Authoring System : NVU (=New View).

I personaly use and suggest you to give a try.

You can download from : www.nvu.com

Bye and Best of Luck
mialynavahy
dreamweaver MX is the best, i like it. I have GoLive but i have used Macromedia products (Flash MX) a lot. With Dreamweaver 8 and Flash Video, it's a snap to place video content on the web. Of course the price is different but you can find a trial version at : www.macromedia.com.