FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unregistered hardware

Vanquish
I sometimes get a problem where my computer crashes and I get the deadly blue screen stating that there is some unregistered hardware installed on my computer then restarts. I really don't know what this means as I am not very good with technical things on computers. It would be great if I could get some answers!
Thanks,
Vanquish
foggy
It would be very hard for us to diagnose the problem without any sort of further information. The best source of information would be the exact text of the blue screen itself. Next time it happens, take out a piece of paper and write down any information that seems pertinent, namely the exact name of the problem, and it also usually lists the driver that had caused it.

But before then, however, has anything recently changed on your computer, such as; new software, new hardware, etc.? Problems like this don't usually come out of the blue.
comp615
Also, when does this happen? Right when you turn your computer on? Or is there a trigger event of sometype?
Vanquish
I'm not sure of what hardware may have caused this, but it was round about when I bought my minidisc player and I installed sony's program to put music on my walkman, but I have deleted this now so it shouldn't be the problem. It usualy happens randomly when my computer lags.
comp615
Any more info on exactly what the blue screen says?
corey
This sounds like something that I had trouble with before. It drove me nuts. Twice, it occurred, actually. The first time, it was a corrupted video driver (the one that Windows installed). The second time, though, it was a bad stick of RAM. Try downloading memtest86 and run it to see if your ram is producing errors.
Animal
You could also try running a Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and choose the option for a custom update. You'll then be able to see if there are any drivers available for your machine - if so, Windows will update them automatically for you and this could fix your problem.
Vanquish
I read some of the screen
It says something like check for new hardware updates and then run "C HKDSK/F" (I don't know that that is)
Animal
Yeah - to run CHKDSK, you need to open My Computer and right-click on your hard drive. Hit PROPERTIES then select TOOLS and CHKDSK. Run this on all your hard disk partitions (C, D, F etc) and it should find and hopefully fix any file system errors.
corey
Animal wrote:
Yeah - to run CHKDSK, you need to open My Computer and right-click on your hard drive. Hit PROPERTIES then select TOOLS and CHKDSK. Run this on all your hard disk partitions (C, D, F etc) and it should find and hopefully fix any file system errors.
Just to add - it might eb a good idea to do this in safe mode from the command prompt (hit F8 right after the BIOS screen and choose safe mode with the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Make sure you do
Code:
chkdsk /f
With out the "f" switch, it won't try to fix anything. Good luck.
Vanquish
It's still doing it and it says: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I really don't know what this is and if you could please can you put a detailed guide on how to sort it here or PM me! I would be most greatful! thanks!