FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Foxit





ibix
Foxit the quickest PDE reader!
Much better then Adobe Acrobat, doesn't need any installation, size 1 MB and 100% free for non-commercial use.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php Smile
asfaltboy
u mean PDF Razz ... yes it is quite small and fast ... but for me adobe acrobat reader works well too Laughing
Animal
Quite a good trick to speed up Adobe Reader is to go into the installation directory, eg.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat\Reader.....

and select everything in the "Plugins" folder. Move it all to the "Optional" folder, so when you start Adobe reader it doesn't load all the plugins before you can use it. If you frequently use a feature such as forms or auto-update, you can move the plugins back to the plugin folder and they'll load whenever it starts.

This is a great trick, and cut Adobe's start up time on my computer to about a quarter the time it used to take.

Well worth a try before you start uninstalling it and using alternative software!
asfaltboy
Nice trick man ... I mean i've read of deleting the unused plugs ... but optionalizing is even cooler Razz
SirDuncan
I prefer foxit.
it is really light.
my pc is a little bit slow and don't have so much hd, so for me foxit is a good choice.
Kd527
I just use Preview...but I am on a Mac. I haven't tried anything but Adobe Reader on windoze.
Da Rossa
ibix wrote:
Foxit the quickest PDE reader!
Much better then Adobe Acrobat, doesn't need any installation, size 1 MB and 100% free for non-commercial use.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php Smile


Really the best!!
rafifaisal
With the hard disks pc's have today, you really don't need to worry about the size of a software.
I mean how will you ever get your hard disk full ?
What size do you guys have if you are worrying about the size of Acrobat reader ?
Da Rossa
rafifaisal wrote:
With the hard disks pc's have today, you really don't need to worry about the size of a software.
I mean how will you ever get your hard disk full ?
What size do you guys have if you are worrying about the size of Acrobat reader ?


Man, the size is not important at all. The memory usage and CPU usage are. Adobe reader is BLOATED. Foxit just does the same job and doesn't load up your PC.
ennnzo
I just switched to it yesterday and it's pretty cool. Adobe Reader is to much bloated. I mean, 60MB just for a reader?! No way! Just a couple of corrections to what you said.

1. It requires installation.
2. It's 4MB estimated.
Da Rossa
ennnzo wrote:
I just switched to it yesterday and it's pretty cool. Adobe Reader is to much bloated. I mean, 60MB just for a reader?! No way! Just a couple of corrections to what you said.

1. It requires installation.
2. It's 4MB estimated.


Actually only the pro version requires installation. The free version has a standalone executable.
bulek
Great program, the only thing I miss from Adobe Acrobat Professional are excellent converters to various formats, which are way better than other alternative converters. That's why I kept Acrobat on my computer.
riv_
Animal wrote:
Quite a good trick to speed up Adobe Reader is to go into the installation directory, eg.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat\Reader.....

and select everything in the "Plugins" folder. Move it all to the "Optional" folder, so when you start Adobe reader it doesn't load all the plugins before you can use it. If you frequently use a feature such as forms or auto-update, you can move the plugins back to the plugin folder and they'll load whenever it starts.

This is a great trick, and cut Adobe's start up time on my computer to about a quarter the time it used to take.

Well worth a try before you start uninstalling it and using alternative software!

I owe you a beer. Cool
JayBee
For windows is Foxit better. When I view some PDF with many images, amount of memory alocated by Adobe Reader excede ram size, foxit use about 20MB of ram for the same document.

But I personally prefere KPDF
tony
gnome's default PDF viewer is much better but for windows, foxit is definately better than adobe acrobat!
Related topics
A "small" list of free apps
Windows Vista Official Thread
Alternatywne (darmowe) oprogramowanie
What programs do you run
Best Freeware
My Favorite Portable Applications
Dziwne zjawisko
A problem printing a PDF document
Who hates PDFs?
[news]Flash 9.0 :O
Do you have Quicktime installed?
Firebox and acrobat reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader 8
Acrobat Reader 7 problem
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.