FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Comics anyone?

ejmaster
I am shocked that many people don't consider comic books literature. I find this particular subject insulting due to the fact that I am a creator and for once I would like for someone to give comics there proper due. I am sure there are many people who liken comics to children's books because there are pictures in them, but comic books have become a lot more sophisticated now than they were 50 years ago. That is just my opinion...
benwhite
Reading somethin like Y: The Last Man would erase any doubt that a graphic novel can't have the depth, plot, and character development of a normal novel. Really good stuff.
tsukiyuuki
Comics can definitely be considered quality reading material, but only if they are quality comics.

For example, the funnies in the paper don't count, but something like Neil Gaiman's "Death: The High Cost of Living" or "The Books of Magic" by those four-or-so guys I can't quite remember qualify for sure. Those are two of my favourite comic books. I also like "Requiem" although I can't remember who it's by... At least part of it ran in Heavy Metal magazine, but I don't know if they ran it all... anyone remember the artist?

On a related note, they don't have to be North American comics to qualify, either. Manga (Japanese comics) can certainly fall under this category as well. Some of my particular favourites are Yoshida Akimi's "Banana Fish" (strange title, I know, but it has nothing to do with fish or bananas), Hirano Kohta's "Hellsing", and Arakawa Hiromu's "FullMetal Alchemist".
nakamaru
Graphic novels! LOL. Comics can be a good read when you want something easy. Some have great storylines etc.
BugBear
well i've only read comics in the newspaper and Garfield Very Happy
i guess i've never read any comics that have a big storyline Wink

i'll check out the comic section some time
Ioana
ejmaster wrote:
I am shocked that many people don't consider comic books literature. I find this particular subject insulting due to the fact that I am a creator and for once I would like for someone to give comics there proper due. I am sure there are many people who liken comics to children's books because there are pictures in them, but comic books have become a lot more sophisticated now than they were 50 years ago. That is just my opinion...

I like some comics a lot. I like many kinds of arts. Also literature.
But I also wouldn't say that comics are literature. They contain literature as they contain text (like sometimes "lyrics" of music are so important in a song that you could say it seems music and recitated literature at the same time). But telling a story in pictures is just not literature like a movie is not as well. Comics have characteristics of literature through the letters, but I wouldn't consider this the main characteristic of most comics. Not being literature doesn't automatically mean it is bad or childish or doesn't contain narrative drama.
Ioana
ejmaster wrote:

I like some comics a lot. I like many kinds of arts. Also literature.
But I also wouldn't say that comics are literature. They contain literature as they contain text (like sometimes "lyrics" of music are so important in a song that you could say it seems music and recitated literature at the same time). But telling a story in pictures is just not literature like a movie is not as well. Comics have characteristics of literature through the letters, but I wouldn't consider this the main characteristic of most comics. Not being literature doesn't automatically mean it is bad or childish or doesn't contain narrative dramatism.
IceCameron
I only read online comics; www.whiteninjacomics.com and http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com

I just cant get enough of those two!
TeK
I use to read alot of comics. Spiderman and Sonic(before they killed it) were some of my favorites. Nowadays I read alot of manga, which is also a type of comic, because I'm getting more and more interested in anime.
tsukiyuuki
I really prefer manga over "Western" comics, truthfully. I like the art style more, for one, and I tend to find more manga with plotlines more interesting to me than I find Western comics interesting to me. Most of the Western comics that I have been exposed to seem to consist mostly of superheroes and special people, but I never really see any comic books about regular people.

One of my favourite manga ever is a love story, but the characters are regular, everyday people. The boy likes to race motorcycles, and the girl is an artist, but there aren't any big evil villains or superpowers ot anything.

I just generally find manga to be more creative and have a wider variety ot plots and subject matter than Western comics. Any topic you can think of probably has a manga published for it. Sports (tennis, skating, name it), science-types, robots, warriors, superheroes, heroines, crossdressing, sentient computers, self-mutilation, anything.

Name something, and I could probably find a title that involves/centres around it.
Jayfarer
Alan Moore's Watchmen is probably the best comic I've ever read. I've read parts of other fan favorites like Y: The Last Man and Transmetropolitan, but I think Watchmen is still better because it has a definite ending. The others have that on-going series feel that prevents me from looking at it as a well crafted whole.

If anyone avoids comics because of superheroes, check out some things in the Vertigo line of comics. Some of it is superhero (Though still very interesting and unlike other superhero comics), but there are also some like DMZ.

Though not many "normal person" stories living normal lives. I think that's fine, though more epic/different stories seem to take advantage of the art form more.
papamurphy
I don't consider comics literature, but they can be a damn good read! I have just gotten into manga, and some of the stories here are simply amazing. I think that comics and literature are a bit different to be considered one and the same, but like I said both are great.
stiffler
I read the comics in the newspaper Cool

My favorites:

Calvin and Hobbes (retired, but still the best of all time IMO, I've got the complete Calvin and Hobbes hardcover set)
Get Fuzzy (so funny and my favorite comic not retired Very Happy )
Garfield
Over the Hedge
Dilbert
kaze89
I like some western comics, especially 'Asterix' and I used to love Disney's stuff when I was a kid but now I really prefer Japanese manga.
Maybe I like the drawings more, maybe the plotlines are more interessting I don't know what exactly it is that captivates me so much, but I'm kind of obsessed with manga. I hate it when manga is reduced to graphic sexual content, because I could tell you hundreds which are about completely different topics. Like comics they can centre around any topic, really.
I would consider some comics literature, but not all of them.
NG
lol im 14 and i still like comic books i dont no why i jus like em because when i see most films like X-Men i read the comics X-men and spiderman and all tht stuff lol i thnk they are cool
srijit
hmm i like comics. they are just another form of art Smile some comics actually have better stories than books i have read Razz
also the talent of the artist draws me to read more. eg: early spiderman, ironman etc
am a marvel fan, do not read much DC comics. also havent read manga's Razz yet. dont get much time for reading Sad
inscribed
There is a fine line here, between comics and Graphic Novels. I don't consider comics a definitive part of literature. While a lot of the time they prove entertaining, they are over all not that well written, yaddayadda. However, Graphic Novels are something totally different. What you are writing is a graphic novel. It is a novel told with both images and words. A perfect example of story telling through Graphic Novels is Blankets. It is a wonderous piece of literature, and if you haven't read it, I suggest you go do so. :3

I think I've delivered my two cents.
sniffass
mmmm comics surely count, but put it this way if I was to submit a business project written in comic form I woul get laughed out of the office. I think comics can make really good reading but are genereally limited to a relatively small number of people. Personally I just don't think you can compare the literary quality of a good comic and a good novel. It's kinds like comparing apples and oranges. You must compare like with like, so personally I'm of the opinion that as far as artistic quality go they are comparable. I don't mean artisitic only in graphic form but also the creation quality.

Gabe
shigajet
I also used to read a lot of B.C., The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes in the past. When I was a kid, I also enjoyed reading the Asterix books. Then I got into manga (graphic novels) while I was in unviersity and at times I still read them. I particularly like graphic novels mainly because of the artwork and a more sophisticated story that is found in many series.