FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

quick dvd burning

mrblah
I just picked up a cheap DVD read/writer drive. I'm not trying to be mr movie guy so I just need a simple software recomendation. What is a good software package out there that will burn a bunch of avi files to a DVD? I've seen a ton of packages but have no idea what is the more popular and reliable package.
Animal
When you say you want to be able to burn a few AVI files to a DVD, do you mean you want them transferred to DVD format, or do you just want them backed-up?

If you are backing them up only so that you can access the AVI files with a computer, you could just use almost any DVD authoring software that allows you to burn data onto a disk.

If you want to convert the AVI files to DVD format so that you can watch the videos on a standard DVD player, you could try DVD Santa. It's not free, but no software that does this will be since mpeg2 is licensed technology and the license holders take a fee for each piece of software that uses it. DVD Santa has a free trial version, or it's only $30 to buy if you like it.
headlong
I feel like it is based on the speed of the blank DVD media. The burner software doesn't make a huge difference. I use NERO and it is very good.
mrblah
Yeah I'm trying to do DVD burning but converting the AVI files are taking forever. I'll see if Nero can do what I need.
aardvark
You'll find Paragon Easy CD/DVD Recorder on the cover CD of February's Personal Computer World which I can strongly recommend.
Animal
Conversion speeds aren't affected too much by the software involved - it's most likely to be limited by your PCs processing power. More ram might help speed up the process, but a new PC with a dual-core precessor would definately speed it up... You might just be cheaper buying the DVDs though!

Wink