FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

open DVD from CD-ROM - possible??

NuniPio
is there a program that exists which opens dvds from a cd-rom, thats what one of my friends claims..i dnt think its possible though..is it??
holadola
It is not possible
KHO
Thats a whole new language, or formatting in this case, think of trying to open a .gif as a .php, not gonna work is it? lt's basically the same thing here. But DVD drives aren't that much anymore, even an external DVD-+RW is only about $50 US (found this awhile ago on compusa, not sure if it is still valid)
holadola
The formatting is not the problem.

On a DVD the data is written much tighter than on a CD. Therefor it is not physicly possible for a CD-only reader to read a DVD.

If the format was the problem such a program would be easy to write.
KHO
hmm good point, what l was trying to say was the way that the laser reads the disk, that would be the problem right?
vignesh_natraj
It is not practically possible.The layers used for DVD and CD are different.
So different types of LASER have to be used to read them.
inman
Obviously the lasers are different. Even though the disc size looks the same, everything else is different.
dcshoes23
if u try really hard, it'll work Wink dvd-rom's are just a scam Laughing

j/king

really there is no such thing, otherwise why would they have seperate drives called dvd-roms?
leodv
It will only be possible if you DIY your cd rom and change it's mechanic. Laughing
win66
It is UNpossible
izcool
As far as I know, no, it is not possible. I was told by a friend of mine who I know well online that DVD-ROM drives use different leds than a regular CD-ROM drive to read the DVD's. There are several leds to read the multiple layers of a DVD. It is possible to read a DVD on a DVD+-R/W drive, yes, but a regular CD-ROM drive won't since it doesn't have those special leds. I found out that when you burn a CD, the CD-R/W drive is shredding and melting the plastic on the disc a little to record the data. The top side of the CD/DVD is the data along with the cover, so don't scratch that side of it up. The bottom side of a CD/DVD is just plastic, so don't be afraid to touch it. Just wipe it clean after you do.

- Mike.
justinrs32
Just as everyone else has said, No, it is NOT possible. Try buying a DVD compatable drive Very Happy

-Justin
thorn
Hey, man! It IS possible! As well as opening floppy disks - just round'em on your finger AND QUICKLY insert media into drive. While it rounds you can read track by track. When disk stops, pull it back and round again.
Also program "tetris.exe" can help you read hidden sectors on border of floppy.
d722002
KHO wrote:
Thats a whole new language, or formatting in this case, think of trying to open a .gif as a .php, not gonna work is it? lt's basically the same thing here. But DVD drives aren't that much anymore, even an external DVD-+RW is only about $50 US (found this awhile ago on compusa, not sure if it is still valid)

Exactly Right.
onur
maybe change reader(laser) but it is about 50$
ck88
While it was possible to change some CD-Roms via firmware update into CD-R(RW) drives because they were essentially the same hardware but one sold cheaper for the mass consumer market, DVD drives are technically to different to allow for such a simple change. And I don't know of any company that used DVD-Rom hardware in a CD-Rom drive just to sell it cheap.
Always a good place to check for such information is:
www.dvdrhelp.com
XIAO_MENG
NO. Impossible.
cepher
Unless you do a totally rad mod...and just make it into a dvd drive...no

newegg it...its only like 30 bucks.
blu3bird
thorn wrote:
Hey, man! It IS possible! As well as opening floppy disks - just round'em on your finger AND QUICKLY insert media into drive. While it rounds you can read track by track. When disk stops, pull it back and round again.
Also program "tetris.exe" can help you read hidden sectors on border of floppy.

yeah i tried it and it works, i have just save 200 bucks, WOOPIE !!, thanks dude
utkufb
if you change its lens, you can.
Bookface
izcool wrote:
... leds...

I found out that when you burn a CD, the CD-R/W drive is shredding and melting the plastic on the disc a little to record the data. The top side of the CD/DVD is the data along with the cover, so don't scratch that side of it up. The bottom side of a CD/DVD is just plastic, so don't be afraid to touch it. Just wipe it clean after you do.

lasers, not leds.

Also, don't touch the bottom side of CDs/DVDs! The data is "burned" into the top layer of the disc, but the burning and reading are done through the bottom towards the top. Your disc will be unreadable if you scratch off the top side and take off a chunk of the backing, but it's much easier and still quite bad to scratch up the bottom side.

Think of the data as in the center, the top side as a sheet of paper, and, and the front side as glass in the front of the paper. The data gets written by burning the paper through the glass, and is read by through the glass. If the paper is damaged it's hard to read, but there's no problem touching the backside or anything. The front glass though, that has to be kept clean, no smudges or marks, or it will be hard to read the part of paper behind it.