FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone Enjoy Anime here

Like Anime?
Yes
86%
 86%  [ 45 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
what is anime?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 52

DokiKitty
Does anyone enjoy anime here? It says we can talk about anything on this topic.. so.......theres my question.

Hehhe I am a huge Anime Fan!!!! ^^ I enjoy a lot of it.. but there are some that I don't like

My favorite Anime is a combination between Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2
KHO
meh some anime is alright, but l hate it when people get all into it (Damn RIFs)
Insaniac
I llive for anime! To bad i suck at drawing it myself, but i love the movies, comics and normal pics. All heil anime! Pokemon! XD
Tilly
Hopefully we'll be able to eventually seperate the genre of 'anime' in our minds the way that the Japanese do... because I find that people who hate anime have just seen the wrong ones for their tastes. Personally, I like the works of two very different artists, as well as three from the same genre. CLAMP is the first. They made Angelic Layer, Chobits, X, and Card Captor Sakura. The second is Miyazaki, best known for Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro. The three similar artists are Shouji Kawamori whose work Macross is best known in the US as the first generation of Robotech, Shinichiro Watanabe who is known for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo and 2 parts of Animatrix, and Masamune Shirow who created Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed. At the same time, I really dislike Yu Gi Oh, Digimon, and Zoids.

The current anime I am watching are Avatar, the Last Airbender, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, and Naruto.
Delirium
I like anime, not a big big fanatic fan about it, but I truely enjoy seeing them. From Ranma 1/2 for a good laugh to more serious things like Spirited away, Perfect Blue, Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaa Valley of the Wind), Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell (the series), Akira, Lodoss War.

I like more serious anime I guess. Storylines are important and realism, not with races, creatures, world appearance, but with what people do in the anime and the way they think. Uber powers and invincibility makes me puke.
quick_basic
I like some anime. I never watched a whole lot. Just whats on Anime on Demand.
Summer
Yeah , definitely . Currently Im watching Inuyasha . lol, its in ur sig .
psycosquirrel
I watch it on tv occasionally. Some is not too bad, but a lot I just don't understand at all
silliman
Hi DokiKitty,

I like anime too. I responded to the survey and saw the results as 8 respondants saying "Yes." So you've got some community members to run with. I agree with the follow up post that suggested... start with GENERAL topics and then when there is enough critical mass to break into specific groups of anime, then go for it.

Keep up the posts... Though I don't know much about anime characters and recent episodes, I am facinated with the art, design and scripts.

Good Luck!

Mark
rainynightstarz
haha, i watch and download them all the time!

I watch Bleach,
have all episodes of FMA
read Naruto before buut got bored around chapt 250
I finished watching DNAngel
He is my master
hikaru no go
100% ichigo

and current on on episode 200 something for Detective Conan, there is like 420 episodes, its crazy. they start making it before i was born, and they are still making more
Nicekiwi9
"what is anime?"

i mean come on WHO CANT KNOW? Razz
clip
yeah, i watch bleach myself! it's pretty cool! Especially Urahara! weee! ^^
DarkAngel
I just LOVE anime! Actually, I'm more of a manga person. I'm currently obsessed with Saiyuki.
I prefer not to watch the anime on TV, cause they pretty much ruin it.
I've finished watching Loveless, and I'm reading Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle right now. I'm also a fan of DNAngel, Hana-Kimi(completed all 23 volumes! w00t!), Full Moon wo Sagashite, and Azumanga Daioh.
I'm also a big fan of the mangaka Kaori Yuki and Arina Tanemura.
Aiz
Haha, I love anime as well, but yes I still prefer the original manga stories over the anime one seeing how often they mess up the story <.<;

I haven't watched much lately because of all the busy stuff going on in life, but some of my all time favorites are Chobits, Bleach, Full Metal Panic (also the Fumoffu series), and Fruits Baskets. Those are just the ones I can remember from the top of my head.

What I hate is when I mention anime to some of my non-anime-involved friends, they link them to kiddy cartoons and comics and look at me weird -_-. I doubt anyone can call stuff like Ghost in the Shell "kiddo stuff" <.< I wish people would stop doing that.
hayley
Evangelion is by far the best Anime I've ever seen. Then again, I'm a silly American girl. What do I know?
BearClaw
cheers for teh anime!

my college has its own anime club, we regularly go to conventions.

prolly my fav shows are outlaw star and azumanga daioh

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FriBogdan
I know i like anime but i see them only at TV so...i didn't download'ed anime or see episodes on the internet (this is not a bad ideea Razz, i will try the internet as well Smile ).
Sappho
Anime as a whole has too much of a variety in itself to just ask question like that. As someone said here already, those that hate anime just have prejudices couse they saw some really bad examples. It's like when u see a bad movie will u go and start hating movies in general? Nope. Its all based on this "anime? thats kiddy cartoon" or other fast statements like that. Who the hell can compare anime like Serial Experiment Lain to cartoons?

Excellent example is with other non-anime Asian movies, lets take -Hero- or -House of Flying Daggers- for example, i've met ppl that said "come one, that dude is flying there its stupid" its same problem, too bad for those, they will miss out really brilliant masterpieces. Sad
Qwertyip
ohh dear lol.... i was the only one to post that i dont like animie.. i thats how its spelt..?

i dont have a reason or not liking it,. i just fink its cr*p lol. its just so exadurated n it annoys me lol
Scaramanga
Sappho wrote:
Anime as a whole has too much of a variety in itself to just ask question like that. As someone said here already, those that hate anime just have prejudices couse they saw some really bad examples. It's like when u see a bad movie will u go and start hating movies in general? Nope. Its all based on this "anime? thats kiddy cartoon" or other fast statements like that. Who the hell can compare anime like Serial Experiment Lain to cartoons?

This was, IMO, the best response in this thread. Hell anime itself in Japan is divided into categories same way TV is here (sitcoms, reality, drama, etc.) I could see someone saying they didn't like, say comedy/parody-anime (a la Excel Saga or Those Who Hunt Elves - just off the top of my head.) But to say you don't like anime at ALL, is just ludicrous. Especially qwertyip; I can't imagine you've seen very much anime.

Also, why are there like THREE different anime threads, two of which are over in TV & Movies, where I figured this sort of a topic would belong?
Boo
I luv anime and if anyone knows any good anime sites please tell me Twisted Evil
izimngcubes15
MY favorite is Inuyasha! Yes I enjoy anime alot it's so cool!!! Well....yeah.
stormybaka
Anime rocks. Actually I have heaps and Wink anyone interested... I can send em copies. I have about 4 bookshelves full of anime dvd's I can burn with dvdshrink!
seanooi
i watch animes to kill time. But there're a few that are really interesting to me. Naruto is one, bleach too. These two are the ones that i follow up every week. Laughing
acamas
I like other sorts of animation like family guy
kawada2998
, i love anime that much, im moving to Japan when i am twenty-one years old. Anime is cool. My favourite is Fruits Basket, Naruto is good too, and .hack//sign.
Dustin
when i was a kid i loved the stuff, pokemon rocked. However noawadays there has been no anime that has caught my eye. The closest thing would have to be johnny bravo, that show rocked
Sappho
Dustin wrote:
when i was a kid i loved the stuff, pokemon rocked. However noawadays there has been no anime that has caught my eye. The closest thing would have to be johnny bravo, that show rocked

Apparently u havent look enough, i mean Anime isnt synonym for kiddy cartoons. There are some animes out there which can put movies like Requiem for a Dream to shame. Or try watching Ghost in the Shell which inspired the creators of Matrix. I honestly think that among Animes there are the most brilliant stories or ideas.
bedakilla
Man I love animes. They are really fun. Long time ago, i used to read mangas only but when my friend was watching Naruto anime i got into it and started watching many other animes.
BCP88
I don't like al those anime's. There is just to mutch of it.
man4hire78
I love it....Im currently watching Naruto..Its the best!!
LukeakaDanish
Anime is great - when done properly...cant stand all the pokemon stuff and wannabe pokemon stuff...

Though, in general, comics rock if they are humoristic in either an insane or a grown up way...

I have recently stumbled upon several great webcomics (free!)

www.leasticoulddo.com
www.questionablecontent.com
www.loserzcomic.com
and of course...www.ctrlaltdel-online.com

Its not exactly anime...but i sincerely recomend reading through the stuff...

Luke
helk
I dunno about anyone else.
But anime is my SOUL FOOD.
besides cars, nothing pumps me up like a good anime.
Sorry, but it had to be said.

My Life By Anime, earliest to latest. (the ones that REALLY made my day):
LENSMEN
ROBOTECH (yes. all of them)
THE GUYVER (yep - i love fighting anime)
AKIRA (just SPINS you out if your open minded)
TECHNOMAN BLADE (aka techaman blade i think)
PORCO ROSSO (utterly brilliant anime)
DRAGON BALL Z (it IS SO anime.)
MACROSS PLUS (Macross... oh macross.. *sniff* - got my first taste of yokko kanno here RUSHED OUT and bought the ost for that voices song)
STEAMBOY (so good i own dvd and umd)
FF The Spirits Within( PWHOAR. it's still anime. in my book)
FF Advent Children (DOUBLE PHWOAR. as a fellow sports biker... well... great stuff - i only PLAY ff's for the FMV's hehe jk)
ESCAFLOWNE (own this one - so cool shoji kawamori on this one too)

Oh my crappy memory can't take it. Alot of one's already mentioned too.

I am in fact, a manga-otaku aswell (but aren't we all?):
Just yesterday, i managed to find volumes 1 to 12 of video girl ai.
BOUGHT THEM ALL!

Better shut up. Cool
Also love live orchestral anime and game music!
*parakiss
yeah i like some anime...but i hate it when people THINK they are anime characters and what not...
DX-Blog
I love anime ^^. For me prince of tennis is by far the best, it's just so rediculous it's funny Laughing.
helk
DX-Blog wrote:
I love anime ^^. For me prince of tennis is by far the best, it's just so rediculous it's funny Laughing.

So true! That's why i watch it cuz it almost never fails to make me laugh.

Espesh fan service. Gosh. Laughing Twisted Evil
fredbert
Yes I too feel anime is a good thing.

I like da Bleach!!!

I want to be able to detach from my body and roam around with a giant sword to slay the souls of the living! Mwa ha ha ha.

No really, good stuff there.

Anyway, there is my two cents.

Fredbert

ps-Will have to check out Prince of Tennis, seen the manga and the fansubs, nvr thought to watch/read though.
MadPhantom
I LOVE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!! (yea i love anime too)
helk
MadPhantom wrote:
I LOVE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!! (yea i love anime too)

A noble sentiment, if ever there was one.

After watching through the whole series, i am determined to buy them.

DETERMINED!

it's simply so.... epic!

Fully incredible. Up there with macross plus.
northcoast
I used to think it was stupid, until I watched Spirited Away. Since then I've watched many other works by Hayao Miyazaki! I also liked Cowboy Bebop The Movie Alot!! For some reason some Anime bores me, I guess I haven;t found my niche yet.
helk
northcoast wrote:
I used to think it was stupid, until I watched Spirited Away. Since then I've watched many other works by Hayao Miyazaki! I also liked Cowboy Bebop The Movie Alot!! For some reason some Anime bores me, I guess I haven;t found my niche yet.

I am an aspiring otaku. But, i often find that anime doesn't fulfill all my desires of the genre on it's own. So i also love manga and OST's and models, games etc. I find that if i concentrate on one format to hard, i get's boring for me too.

But with all sorts of media available. You are bound to stay interested Exclamation Wink
dac_nip
Anime, another world in which you can fantasize. A portal to a reality that never existed. This is the main reason why I watch anime, it brings you to another world, stress reliever. Also, the topic and genre is so wide, anything under the sun. It is rich in ideas and crazy thoughts. Anyway, Im particularly interested in Naruto and Bleach. I've been downloading manga and episodes eversince its first release. Damn, i hate those fillers in naruto..this weeks manga is very interesting. **SPOILER**hehe
helk
That is the bain of episodic anime imo.

If the anime was born of a manga, it is especially so!
Fillers can be fun, but if, like alot of people you crave story, and watch whole series' in one sitting, it develops patience (and adroit fast forward control) very quickly.

But like dac_nip suggests, no other genre can lay claim to the sheer diversity of manga/anime.
benwhite
Nothing is more tiresome than watching an entire episode when nothing happens. I'm reminded of watching DBZ 8 or 9 years ago and watching the same animations happen over and over again, while the characters stood there and 5 minutes in the show took up 5 episodes.

I've really enjoyed story driven anime. Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain, both by the same guys, I really enjoyed. Miyazaki is fantastic: Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are incredibly memorable.
dac_nip
anyone. I just want to ask, what are the characteristic difference between Japanese anime and the west's disney animations. Do you notice difference in the topics covered? Like those of disney animations are mostly heroic and intended for children while those of anime can be anything, even brutal..how bout the color and art etc? what do you think?
helk
Heh, it's funny you say that about dbz, benwhite.
filler can bug me alright, but i actually endorse the 2+ episode fight scenes in dbz, cuz their just heaps of fun!

Western animation suits western culture, which in this case appears to be sensitive to ANY pathetic little issue.
Anime suits the culture of japan, because they seem to be marvelously desensitized to EVERYTHING!
While western cartoons are very righteous, (arguably doctrinal) and uphold values entertained by western customs, anime is sexual. political. perverted. sadistic. spiritual. soulfull. surreal. as the anime -or you- demands! (which is why i love it - s.a.k and chobits tonight? or patlabor and akira?)Rolling Eyes

Also, i think that anime is a world unto itself for character design.
It's like they have created a race of people that perfectly suit the world they exist in. And they are not specifically - for lack of a better word - cartoony.

i dunno, but it is SUCH an effective method of expressing thoughts feelings and ideas - and the japs have all three in quality and quantity.

Make some sense sorta? Razz
dac_nip
yeah you're right. The thing about anime is their eyes. Usually, anime characters have very big expressive eyes and spiky hair which I think the animator uses to express feelings and emotions. The advantage of anime over that of the west is that it is not limited in terms of topic. Anime has the freedom to express whatever it wants the audience to captivate while that of the west is focused unto making heroic tales, common and old-fashioned stories. It can't go with the trend. haha
MalvagioAddict
I too an fond of anime, from fushigi yuugi to naruto to prince of tennis and yes at some point in time I did enjoy watching pokemon and digimon so sue me.

But on another point, I suppose that western animation is a lot more limited as dac_nip said, basically they do their stuff geared towards mainstream watchers and younger viewers hence blood and gore would not necessarily be part of the story, especially disney, even Quasimodo got to live at the end of the movie and we know what happened in Hugo's novel.

Japanese animation on the other hand, is a lot more selective, i mean clamp has some huge following hence as soon as an animation for clamp would come out, fans would probably tune into it. I mean I mean CardCaptor Sakura and X are made by Clamp and they are hugely different thematic wise, but were probably, and I'm not certain (but I did watch both, not that I'ma Clamp fan), but they probably went ahead and saw both. So story wise, anime would not necessarily have a happy ending as usually the case with western animation.

The only beef I have with anime in general is how the boys even looked prettier than girls. Nuriko anyone?
Wd_removed
Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Akira. I like a lot of anime, a wide variety but shows like digimon, zoids, pokemon, yu-gi-oh just piss me off.
SunburnedCactus
I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's films, such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. They're fabulous!
dac_nip
MalvagioAddict wrote:

The only beef I have with anime in general is how the boys even looked prettier than girls. Nuriko anyone?

haha. you can't blame them, that's how japanese design their animations. As you've said, it's not much geared toward children. it is their culture to expose their children to obscene(sorry for the word) or other mature stuff so that they will be more matured regarding these things..and so prevent cases like rape..etc.
madsencarl
I hate anime. It is s***house. It is one of the worst things to come onto the earth, and has plagued the internet. Also, Gaia can stick its members who post 500 times a day up its own damn a**.
MalvagioAddict
Quote:
I hate anime. It is s***house. It is one of the worst things to come onto the earth, and has plagued the internet. Also, Gaia can stick its members who post 500 times a day up its own damn a**.

to each his own madsencarl, I do have to admit that some anime fans do tend to go overboard with their love or fascination with the characters as well as the story itself. As a result there's a lot of websites dedicated to animes on the internet.

But just the same, I think with everything it also tends to simmer as it goes along, so you can rest easy, those members who tends to be posting 500 times a day declaring their love will soon be lessened to 50 or 5.

dac_nip, yeah i'm not blaming them, I'm just wishing that it would be the case too in rl lol.
Saskia91
I don't like all animes, but I do love Avatar: the last airbender. It's because the way the caracters look is just soo funny Smile And the way they do the fighting is also great. With animations, there's no limit on "special effects", so the makers can do anything with it. It makes the stories great (at least, I think so..)
Alias
I really like watching animes its really cool and the stories are really great. Plus the powers of the characters are unique and limitless, unlike those marvel character that only have a superhuman power. Smile
jayrelle
Yah! I am an anime fanatic! I love watching it. I've watch almost 100 different anime.. Twisted Evil
Ranti84
I love watching anime, more than anything else that's on American TV (aside from anime on late night Cartoon Network Razz).

I've found that I have a fondness for shoujo's: Full Moon wo Sagashite, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Chobits (if you can consider that one, as ecchi as it can be), perhaps even Mermaid Melody xD. Don't get be wrong, I love a good action one as well like Gundam or Soul Link...I've been trying to follow Soul Link and Cluster Edge but I can't get fansubs easily Razz.

I love football (ie soccer) animes a lot as well. I've watched all of Hungry Heart Wild Striker and absolulely loved it, the first opening song is awesome. I'm also trying to follow Aoki Densetsu Shoot! which is pretty sweet and realistic (Kubo-san is godly xD) and would love to see Captain Tsubasa...well, all of them.