FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blogging as Business Model

pansophia
I was thinking of starting a blog to test the FriHost site. I know a lot of people seem to be putting ads on their blogs as a business model. I'm sure some people make money off of it, but I think this is a pyramid scheme for most people - exploiting content-producing labor at the bottom but channeling the main revenue stream at the top.

I also know people who have used their blogs to establish a reputation as experts, theoretically helping them to advance in their career.

My question is this: if you have significant hard-won, valuable knowledge, what is the wisdom of sharing it on your blog? If it's valuable knowledge, it might attract traffic for ad revenue, but it also reduces your own value as a rare possessor of this knowledge. Has anyone put much thought into this problem?
yupeng
U can installl a wordpress in frihost's hosting.
Many of us have done that
denggi
Well, isn't the net supposed to be where information is shared? Where you, as a person with knowledge, are able to educate the people in matters which you are knowledgeable in? Of course if the information is confidential don't, but if I was an expert in something that I liked I would not hesitate to share with anyone else. The idea of sharing but keeping one last secret to yourself (just to be better than your "students") is like those olden days kung fu masters. Haha... Later as time goes by, bit by bit the knowledge is eventually lost.

Blogging doesn't make that much money unless you are able to generate alot of traffic to your site. Plus your audience must kinda click on the ads. Uh...i'm getting lost now..point is, share info, don't be a scrooge!!
pansophia
There's actually a gender concern about the knowledge-sharing issue. Women tend to share knowledge so they will be liked by people around them. It's also easier to get what you want from women by insinuating that they aren't doing the "good" thing, where as men are more comfortable with the idea they are acting in a "rational" or "competitive" way instead of "good".

It's also hard not to notice that the technical world is largely male. I don't think this is just a matter of men having more technical education. I think it's because men are more willing to mystify their knowledge and treat it as a commodity.

It's also a hard topic for women to bring up (see above mention of greater susceptibility to their economic decisions being labeled "bad"). It's a real problem, though. If society wants to make it a virtue to share knowledge, they should make sure women aren't being penalized for their propensity to share while men are rewarded for commodifying their knowledge. Women have to pay rent, too. Wink
pansophia
There's actually a gender concern about the knowledge-sharing issue. Women tend to share knowledge so they will be liked by people around them. It's also easier to get what you want from women by insinuating that they aren't doing the "good" thing, where as men are more comfortable with the idea they are acting in a "rational" or "competitive" way instead of "good".

It's also hard not to notice that the technical world is largely male. I don't think this is just a matter of men having more technical education. I think it's because men are more willing to mystify their knowledge and treat it as a commodity.

It's also a hard topic for women to bring up (see above mention of greater susceptibility to their economic decisions being labeled "bad"). It's a real problem, though. If society wants to make it a virtue to share knowledge, they should make sure women aren't being penalized for their propensity to share while men are rewarded for commodifying their knowledge. Women have to pay rent, too. Wink