FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do anyone works in a call center?

argha
Hi I like to know if anyone in this community works with a call center ? As I like to know about the job and the presure of the process involved with it. It will be great if some one can let me know about it. I heard life in call center is tough as prople have to work in shifts and its is really tought to answer to call day in and day out . You have to take about 20 calls an hour !! thas tough I guess 24 * 7. Please share your views..
n0obie4life
I doubt they have much pressure.

"Press 1 to x"
"Press 2 to x"
"Press 3 to x"
"Press 4 to x"
"..."
"Press 1000 to end call"
seanooi
I saw this movie which had a funny operator. It was filmed in Singapore. A girl was trying to kill herself with gas, so when her friends found out, they went to rescue her.
Then as the rest try to find a way into the house, one was trying to call the police. So he dialed the police station number and this option came up:

"Welcome to Singapore police station. for English, please press 1; Mandarin, please press 2; Malay, please press 3. So the guy punched in the number 2." (It continued in Mandarin so i'm just gonna briefly translate it)

"For gangsterism, please press 1; for murder, please press 2; for suicide, please press 3"
So he pressed 3

"For jumping off a building, please press 1; for drowning, please press 2; for stabbing with a knife, please press 3; for. . . . . ."

The guy got so frustrated he gave up and went after his friends. Laughing
S3nd K3ys
My wife does, for SBC/AT&T. It can be very stressful having to deal with people. Especially stupid and/or angry ones because you always have to be courteous.
carlokes
I've worked in the past for a company and i have too agree that dealing with people everyday is a pretty tough job, specially the one that don't care thgat on the other side of the phone there is a person and has to do that for a living.
coolclay
I don't but I want to tell that indian man that keeps calling me at dinner time and saying "allo, tis mister kern ter" [removed] Laughing
n0obie4life
coolclay, please don't post something like that again.
cnnet
there's no excellent job for us to do
when we do anything for long
we'd find out it boring so much
Scotty Too Hotty
i am a supervisor/trainer/IT Support at a call center, so i would be the one here that might be the best to talk to. I am due to be promoted to Operations Manager. I work in an Inbound call center. Dont goto the outbounbd. (Making calls) they suck. Stick with answering phones.

I would say call centers arenot for everyone but it is not a bad job. Usually pays well.
webapp
Nope....but my company has call centers..which support other clients
argha
thank you friends.. for your reply.. I have tried to get a feedback so to understand the work culture and the presure of work in call center as I have heard a lot about it. Thanks again,
bluefossil
I was a programmer for a call center few years back. Made a few good friends who were part-time phone reps. Some really enjoy it because they love to talk to people, while some work there just for the income. I know if I have to do it, I would really hate it. You are trained to believe "the customer is always right". Sometimes customer would just yelled at you and it's not even the your fault; you just have to take it and apologize for whatever the issue was.
fray bentos
Smile great canteen in ours!
xorcist
My cousin works for a call center but he was a temp his job was easy just activate gift cards and other stuff. He said its eazy but around holidays or whenever they get alot of calls. My other cousin works at a call center for a phone company and all she does it read off the prompt they give her.
kfauber
Yes I will admit I did work in a call center but I was young and needed the money and once your in you just can't get out. I actually worked in several early in my days for places like Campus MCI which actually was a great atmosphere I honestly didn't mind that job. I also worked in a call center doing technical support for HSA and then Cingular as well.

I will say this Call center jobs are easy. Now don't get me wrong there are clearly some difficulties but usually after about 3 months of being on the job each call will have been an issue you have dealt with 1000 times already and it can get to be mentally draining on people, especially the kind of person that continually needs to be challenged or stimulated. That was me I got bored, I moved on.

Also one thing I noticed is call centers seemed to be the single biggest source of rumors. One could start a blatantly bad rumor in the morning and hear it come back that evening reported to be God's honest truth. Yes I started more than one in my time just for the fun of seeing it spread. (nothing malicious)

However I have noticed that call centers tend to pay fairly comptetively and if you can handle having your mind go numb every day by the end of youyr shift then have at it, there is no shortage of call center jobs to be had.
kazoe
I've got several friends who work on call center and accdg. to my observation, they acted differently on it. Most call center jobs were night shift in our country so some were physically drained by it. Then the other this is that you should take a very good care of your voice. A friend of mine was asked to take a leave instead of accepting calls bec. she has a sore throat. Its kinda difficult, especially if you have a short temper. YOu deal with all sorts of people everyday, and not all people are nice. In venturing in this kind of job, you also need to have understanding.
sniffass
I'll be honest here and say that I haven't worked in a call centre myself, but I did think about it once or twice. What I have done is work as a waiter in a restaurant during my school days, when I wasn't at school I was working. That meant full time in the hols. I grew to hate the general public, really dull, mind numbing and boring. People have no courtousy or manners and are really stupid sometimes but get angry at you because of their ignorance. For example they let their kids play with a hot bowl of soup and the kid gets burnt so of course its the fault of the restaurant since the kids are our responsibility??? Whatever. Being a waiter also meant that you were the piggy in the middle, sometimes with both the customers and the kitchen staff messing you about. After this I thought about working at a call centre, sitting in a cushy chair pressing somebuttons and talking to irate people... but I know I would probably end up murdering someone with frustration, dealing with the general public is not something I can do and I truly admire anyone who can work these kind of jobs for a living.
adamfleming10
I work in a call center in ireland, its not too bad. It really depends on which section you get into. Theres different sections in each call center, lucky for me, my section only makes outgoing calls and recieved veery few calls! Its great!
benstewart
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Especially stupid and/or angry ones because you always have to be courteous.

We tend to use the 'hold' button during these calls, and then go back to whatever forum we were posting to.
Scorpio
The fact is that call center jobs, though stressful pay well in european and american countries but certainly not in india.

It is like a cheap and free job. Many companies outsource it to India cause they can get an employee for atleast 15 times lesser the salary they pay to the same position there

In india, it is more of a competition for the job. I guess thats why people who want to earn lots o money go abroad from india./
input
I'd say ill be working in one for the summer, money is good and its not as stressful as others available. Sure your hated and treated like crap but you dont see the people this way.
Landreski
I work for a company that has 9 400+ seat call centers around the US and in the Dominican Republic. As with any job, there are both pro's and con's. Yes dealing with upset people can be frustrating. You usually get pretty good training on how to best handle those people too. It can also feel good to help those same people too. If you need flexable hours, call centers can usually accomodate you. You don't usually have to dress up in normal office attire, so no added expense for buying clothes. The benefits can be good. We offer a great health plan and there is a fully equiped fitness center at each location (free for anyone to use). You never have to take your work home with you either. Very Happy
orrinjelo
I did. I hated the job. Worked as a market research guy.
r_y_e_20
argha wrote:
Hi I like to know if anyone in this community works with a call center ? As I like to know about the job and the presure of the process involved with it. It will be great if some one can let me know about it. I heard life in call center is tough as prople have to work in shifts and its is really tought to answer to call day in and day out . You have to take about 20 calls an hour !! thas tough I guess 24 * 7. Please share your views..

When you work as a Call Center Agent here in the Philippines, then you're cool. Its because they earn like double from the usual income. However you really need to be tough, sometimes it depends on the account you are handling. I worked before as Tech support for MSN-Messenger and Hotmail Abuse Department. I really love terminating MSN Accounts. hehehe.
djcaution
I work at a callcenter as a technical support representative for comcast high speed internet (basically the cable internet provider for all US) and I love the job. I've worked my way through the dept's and managed to snag a spot in the Chat dept, so I dont have to answer any calls I just help people through chat. I can listen to headphones all day while working it's great!
carriage_return
After some initial thought (in the line of, "I'm not really contributing to the topic with this, am I?") I decided to give it a try and answer. You see, the thing is, that I have just been hired for a call center last week, and now I'm just waiting for the training period to start (April 11th).

I've always shared a lot of the concerns and maybe complaints about that kind of job that you seem to have here (you, as in "you all"). I did think about the stress, frustration, constant landscape, throat management, sight problems (I have some eye problems, so I'll have to take care), and of course the harsh symbolic violence of working inside a cubicle. That was one of the reasons that made me decide to try another type of job the past February (stay with me, it has a point). I worked for the national gas company, taking meter measurement and recording problems and the like. Believe me that, although I have nothing against that job, it surely made me appreciate a couple of things about being able to work at one of this seemingly fiendish call centers...

First, you don't have to walk, dodge, duck, pull hard and the rest of the physical stunts that you're required to engage in order to take the numbers at those blasted meters. And that's not when you're hurting your back from the high buildings meter battery who are all happily made starting 4 inches from the ground (I would have said 12 centimetres, but I think most of you might feel more at home with inches), trying not to pass out from the gas odor and taking what most sensible adults would consider to be crap from people that considered being woken up at 10:00 am to be some sort of religious heresy.

Second, and believe me this matters, it's nice not having to work in neither smoldering temperatures, nor in the down pouring rain. Again, believe me, at first you may say "nah, this won't be a problem, I will just get some cover or an umbrella". To this I tell you, go ahead and try, and then I think you'll reach different conclusions.

So, I'd like to think those were my probervial two cents in this story, if it was useful, at least I hope you got a laugh at me ^_~.

carriage_return
zanzou
I don't work in a call centre, but I have a friend who does. She says it's basically been driving her crazy the whole time she's been working there (coming up on 5 months now) because she doesn't interact with real people.

She needs actual physical interaction, so a job like her's is really hard.. they have a really fast turnover rate, too. D:
sangook
argha wrote:

if you want to work temporarily or if u're a student and u want to make some money for the summer, i would suggest it.
but otherwise, it's not a good job to work full time.
there's a lot of stress and also, there is pressure for the amount of calls u make a day.
it depends on the companies u work for.
for mine, it was about 20 calls / day.
most of the call centers operate 24/7 but mine is just for the weekdays from 9 to 5.
i'm a student and graduating soon so i think it's good money but not for permanent job
dips0502
i started my career in a call center, and am still in it. i cant really take anymore of this crap. answering calls like a parrot day in and day out. for most of my freinds this is just a stop gap arrangement until we find something for which we have the aptitude for. the shift throws your entire life into confusion, as you work during the night ( here in india ). it is good pay though, but crap work.
Konimaka
my mom works in a call center
and she thinks it is hard work sometimes
she gets transferred all the time, not too far away, but still
and then she has to do stuff that she didn't get to learn for and stuff
all very stressing, and she hates most people that keep nagging and that keep blaming them and stuff
webapp
I got lots of friends who work in a call center.....Answering phones....Tech support AOL , ATT , VONAGE u name them they have and they work for......pretty cool huh..
corey
zanzou wrote:
I don't work in a call centre, but I have a friend who does. She says it's basically been driving her crazy the whole time she's been working there (coming up on 5 months now) because she doesn't interact with real people.

She needs actual physical interaction, so a job like her's is really hard.. they have a really fast turnover rate, too. D:
This isn't far off for many people. I've worked in 3 call centers in the last 6 years. The first one closed because the company decided that they didn't want it anymore, throwing 600 people out of work. The second one seemed a nice place to work for about 3 months, and then the realization that nobody cared about their employees set in. It was the worst job I've ever had, as I felt like I didn't matter and that my thoughts and concerns weren't important. It was a degrading experience (not necessarily because of the calls I got, but because of the employer). The third one seems quite okay and I enjoy my job, although I'm doing an evening shift right now and that kind of sucks.

So, there are many experiences you can have,a s with any line of work. I've worked in restaurants as a chef before and I grew up on a farm and did construction, so I know what hard work is. I've never been so exhausted sometimes as I have been after working at the call center (but not the one I came to now).
frozenhead
Well, it's tough handling customers. I mean "narrow-minded" customers as what my besfriend told me.(He's the one working in a call center)
pudovkin
I've worked on the development of a call center managing software solution, for major company. With the software, the supervisor can be one step further than the operator, with reports, statistics and other status information.
The supervisors can be a pain in the a** or be your best friend. Wink
corey
Heh heh. I still like the place I work. I work the evening shift now and its quite slow. I get extra pay for working after 7pm and I usually read books. Quite the opposite of the last call center I worked at.
jenus
I used to work in a call center that provided costumer service to att and then cingular wireless, and the plans that att and cingular have sucks a lot, i dont really know why people like them, and when the customer have problems the customer service sucks as the help when people had problems paying the bill and entered into collections....
bboy_nycb
As a conclusion, wherever we are, this kind of job is not easy as it may be, especially when it comes to deal with outgoing calls. Generally speaking, these calls aim at selling things to new customers even if this product sucks.
jakemuk
I have worked in call centres before,

I have worked to name one in bt broadbands technical support desk, The role is demanding and slightly stressful at times especialy technical support, there all call targets but at the end of the day you can only answer as many calls as you can, its non stop on most phone systems when people hang up the next one comes through unless you set yourself to unavailble,

altho i did have a job at electricity company where there call centre you just had like a standard phone which you picked up, strange system that lol but they soon changed it maybe because i pointed out how strange setup they had done it,

But if you like talking to people you should be fine, after all its not bad money in some places for just talking to somebody
corey
bboy_nycb wrote:
As a conclusion, wherever we are, this kind of job is not easy as it may be, especially when it comes to deal with outgoing calls. Generally speaking, these calls aim at selling things to new customers even if this product sucks.
Actually, I found that the outbound calls are the easy ones. You're just annoying omeone. That's all. They will hang up on you if they don't want to talk to you. The inbound calls are harder, IMO, as you have to stay on the phone and work with them, even if they don't have a reason to be calling. I find inbound harder, but more rewarding, for the most part.
darthrevan
I did at one point in time, but that has been some years ago. It was for, at the time, Bellsouth DSL
jordivh
I never did it but i would like to trie it