FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SP1 versus SP2

thermaltake
Which one is better SP1 or SP2. I no SP2 has security center which is practically useless.
vignesh_natraj
SP2 is very good for its security features and inbuilt firewall. I recommend
everyone to use SP2.It is very reliable.
webbone
Sp2 is newer the sp1,It's include more patch for xp!you must use sp2!
izcool
I had SP2 on my computer when it first came out, but now that I've redone my computer since when it was released, I use SP1. I'm thinking about reformatting my laptop soon because it has SP2 on it (I bought it that way). SP2 has too many leaks (like the JPEG image leak when it first came out, leaking files onto the internet through JPEG's) and I think it quite unstable. For me, SP1 is the farthest I'm going with Windows XP for now, unless if I really force myself on switching back to SP2.

- Mike.
Animal
The jpeg image leak you refer to is still an issue in SP1 - it was a newly discovered flaw that SP2 didn't fix, so they released a patch for it. If you don't use SP2, your computer will be significantly less secure and more open to virus and malware attacks.

SP2 is a major security update, but whether you use it or not is, of course, your decision. All I would say to you is make absolutely sure you have an up-to-date anti-virus program and firewall to help protect yourself.
bogden
there is no significant I know of for someone not to use SP2, especially if they are connected to the internet. SP2 might be *slightly better with its builtin firewall capability, but there are many other patches in SP2 that make it definetly worthwile.
Temple
I'm using SP2. Never tried nor bothered to try SP1. I'm happy where I am, plus I use Linux a lot Razz
Keshav
Thanks for the information... I think my laptop has neither SP1 or SP2 installed. Its plain old XP. I think I should be directly updating it with SP2..
anyah
Well I did and since then I haven't experienced any problems.
It updates automaticly, so I have no trouble yet! Smile But I did install sp2 a year ago and the pc is working fine still!
FriBogdan
If u have all the update's for SP1 u don;t need SP2. And most important i don't recommend installation of SP2 if u have SP1 already on your PC. If u do install SP2 over SP1 u will experience major incompatibilities and bug's, crashes (i speak from experience). When i've installed SP2 over SP1 my games didn't work correctly. My PC was working much slower and the firewall from the SP2 is completely useless if u compare it with a known firewall like ZoneAlarm, this is more configurable and so on...
Conclusion: U don't need SP2 if u have SP1+updates and a firewall (with the default windows SP1 firewall disabled).
garvalf4
I know several ppl who had pb because their installed the sp2 while they already add many other program installed, and then they could no longer access internet. It seemed it was badly designed.
matt87
I have had even bigger problems with SP2. My computer was working great until SP2 was released and then all of a sudden many problems. I don't like windows... i prefer Linux anytime.
yupeng
I think is SP2.
After all it is the newer version.
Pikokola
If your computer always connected to Internet, It's better if you using SP 2 and always update the windows, if not, It's better if you using SP1

IMO, SP1 and SP2 if both of the isn't updated, the SP1 having more stability than SP2 (just IMO)

But, if you update it, the SP2 have better security than SP1
cheeta
the latest service pack is the best... right now its SP2, may b 2 or 3 month letter there gona be SP3... so then SP3 will be better...
WaCk0
I hate SP2 because everytime you download something it asks for permissions and stuff and still..

my firewall wil lblock all those virusses and there is a standard firewall in my router (well to be specific .. its in almost all routers)

so thats why i dont use it it complains on all programs... MSN messenger, Mozilla, IE Rolling Eyes
Metaguy
SP2 no arguement. Has latest patches, without can make your computer vunerable to tons of stuff.
djclue917
Do you people know what SP1 and SP2 are? They are Service Packs. It means that they contain critical security updates to patch-up the security holes in Windows. Of course the latest service pack is better because it contains the latest patches for Windows. SP2 contains SP1 + newer updates and other updates.

HTH
pookpooi
whom used Automatic Update will have problems to login Windows XP
if u don't used original registry version
photon
i think there is no choice on this issue. sp2 is a service pack and it contains various bug fixes some of which are critical. for example, the blaster worm patch is included in sp2. if you want your computer to be safe, then install all the service packs that come out
corey
Security updates are always a good idea.SP2 now, and wait, there'll be a SP3.
djclue917
corey wrote:
Security updates are always a good idea.SP2 now, and wait, there'll be a SP3.

When is the expected release date of SP3?
JayBee
in SP2 is everithin in other place than it was in SP1
i did a big mistake when i switch on the automatic actualisations and my "lovely" windows downloaded 250MB SP2 throw my internet connection with FUP (limit a few GBs) Sad
Arnie
I didn't experience problems with SP2. Security Center can be completely disabled, just disable the service and it's out of your memory. As for all the usability problems that SP2 causes; with some browsing through configurations you can fix a lot.
eday2010
Just turn off the Windows Firewall, and SP2 will not cause any problems at all. That's what I do Smile
Shiva
well maybe there is a reasom that microsoft made the SP2..
maybe because it was MENT to be installed because it will do your computer good!!! I've never had any problems with it...

I think it's a great service pack and Im looking forward to see the SP3!!! Laughing
xorcist
I like SP2 It has many more features then SP1 I was using SP1 and when I was using it it didint have alot of security features that the other one had. It tells me my antivirus I'm using and tells me if its updated or not and it has a firewall that's good. Also I like the pop up blocker and everything thing else it has in Internet Explorer.
technology.sponge
using sp2 or not depends on personal preference and skill level

sp2 is useful if u r a more beginner style user or set and forget person or for a critical pc. on the pther hand, the security center is useless, and sp2 slows ur pc down to a crawl.

if ur a power user, sp2 may be a hindrance. with the proper protection (antispyware, virus, hard nd soft firewall nd common sense, etc.) it can be avoided

Note - sp2 should be applied if u use dialup - windows firewall 9although crappy) duz not work for dialup on sp1
djclue917
technology.sponge wrote:
using sp2 or not depends on personal preference and skill level

sp2 is useful if u r a more beginner style user or set and forget person or for a critical pc. on the pther hand, the security center is useless, and sp2 slows ur pc down to a crawl.

if ur a power user, sp2 may be a hindrance. with the proper protection (antispyware, virus, hard nd soft firewall nd common sense, etc.) it can be avoided

Note - sp2 should be applied if u use dialup - windows firewall 9although crappy) duz not work for dialup on sp1

I don't think so... SP2 is a critical security update and should be installed if the users wants a peaceful life with Windows XP... The Security Center, firewall, everything new in SP2, is I think, very well suited for beginners and advance users alike.

However, I do respect your point-of-view and opinion. Smile
neosree
XP with sp2 and applying Autopatcher will make it the safest- safest than Linux for sure. You do need an antivirus and it is better to have any other firewall than the inbuilt one.
lukeropro
I prefer sp2 but the only problem is that it'll ask u if u want to install this and everything which makes my computer lag and I don't like that.