FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you on dialup or broadband internet access?

Are you on dialup or broadband internet access?
Dialup
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Broadband
83%
 83%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 90

littlegiant
Naturally, the stats on this are going to be skewed according to this forum's demographics but I'm curious about the ratio between dialup and broadband (high speed) internet users. So what are you on?

Although I could well afford broadband access, I'm still on dialup because I like to stay in touch with what it's like to surf the net at low speeds (I know that sounds a little funny but I'm not kidding).
justup2002
How could any one stand to use dialup it takes like five years to load google plus you can't use the telephone i dont even remember having to go through that it's been so long since i have had dialup
luis123456,webspace4free.
Dialup conections are the top, but broadband connection is that I have. -
djcaution
wow people r still using dialup... that's stoneage man... GODDAMNIT MAN GET A HOLD OF YOURSELVES!!!!! YOU'RE LIVING IN THE PAST PEOPLE!!!!!! YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MINDS!!!! HAVE THEY ALREADY GOTTEN TO YOU TO!!!?????? Shocked
Animal
I couldn't survive without my wireless broadband router... I'd shrivel up and die quietly in a corner somewhere.

Ok, maybe I'm being over-dramatic, but really - broadband is better than sliced bread and iPod Pants

Laughing
dragonman641
I've been using broadband for years now. I can't stand being on a slow dial-up connection anymore =P
DarkAngel
I'm on dial-up. I'd gladly switch to broadband any second now but my parents don't want to. I think I might die if I don't switch to DSL soon... dial-up is just too slow! Brick wall
webapp
Broad band only.......who wants AOL except GOOGLE
Daniel15
Well, I used to have dialup, but in September this year, I got ADSL. I've got 1.5Mb/s ADSL... I can download 10MB in a minute.

Now that I've got ADSL, I'd never go back to dialup!
amusic
I'm using broadband too. It's been about two years I changed from dial up to broadband. It is more than 10 times faster than dial-up.
RobertDocherty
NTL Broadband 3MB's. I dont need a fast net connection but, as my internet is shared around 3 computers, its a bit of a hassle.
acamas
I only got it 3 months ago! All I can say is thank GOD, lol!!! Anyone who doesnt have it should get it. Its worth it.
George
I suffered with 56k (dial-up) for 4-5 years and when I got broadband..it felt like God came down and made a miracle happen!! I wouldnt touch a computer if it didnt have broadband internet hooked up to it.
redbomber
I've got Broadband2 for $40/month. Its pretty good
KHO
Dial up is teh crap Neutral l know, l'm stuck with it Neutral
SuperMonkey
Broadband all the way man!!

There is no way I could stand to go back to dial up, we have a dial up connection where I work part-time and I hate using it, it's way too slow, and prone to disconnections. Also broadband is getting pretty cheap now Smile
raman
I've got broadband, I used to use dialup but when broadband became available in my location, I got it asap and am glad.
argha
broadband ,, mostly all of the user in my country at list the place I am from use broadband service that IS Delhi in India , broadband is cheap in India we get a 256 kbps line in india for Rs 400 per month that is about $8 thats cheap.. and dial up is very slow and is free from the MTNL (land land service provider) in delhi all we need to pay is for the call puls for dial up .. telecomunication in India is taken a role and its really providing us a great service and technology which are as good as in US or Europ.
nam_siddharth
India is on the 1st step of using broadband. Now broadband is cheaper than dia-up in India. Thus all dial-up users are shifting to Bradband. I run a Cyber Cafe, so i'm using broadband with 2 Mbps. Most of broadband users of India using 256 Kbps.
acamas
Only thing herehere is that we have to wait until it was avialble in our area! So many suburs in country towns cannot get broadband. Things are so much pro active when you have bb. Very Happy
Keshav
I had been using dail-up for years now. But now, I have switched to broadband and it has been almost a year now. But still I have the dowload/upload limit of 1GB per month. So I really cant go on downloading whatever I see. But having broadband is really a must nowadays.
jamesmackle
I've been on broadband for nearly two years now, slowly increasing from 512k to 2MB. Let me tell you, it's a real eye opener going back to 56k... its so painfully slow. Imagine using a pc with spec from nearly a decade ago! thats the equivilent of usng 56k nowadays...

I would recommend anyone who can afford it to do it. NOW!
xorcist
I'm using dialup right now it takes so long to do everything. But when I had broadband, it was so easy to do everything with broadband but now with dialup I really enjoyed having broadband.
littlegiant
Broadband is cheaper than dialup in India? Wow far out. Now there's a switch!

Also here's the latest official stats I could find on dialup vs. broadband although in 'internet time', news from August 2004 is virtually prehistoric:

Quote:
U.S. Broadband Connections Reach Critical Mass, Crossing 50 Percent Mark for Web Surfers, According to Nielsen//NetRatings

NEW YORK — August 18, 2004 — Nielsen//NetRatings, the global standard for Internet audience measurement and analysis, reported that broadband connections for the first time reached 51 percent of the American online population at-home during the month of July, as compared to 38 percent last July.

Sixty-three million Web users connected to the Internet via broadband during July 2004 as compared to 61.3 million accessing the Internet through narrowband. Overall growth for broadband connections rose 47 percent year-over-year, while narrowband dropped 13 percent annually...

MORE...

If anyone could dig up some stats that are a little more recent than this, I'd be much obliged.
TeK
I have broadband (cable). I can't deal with dial-up. I like things that move fast.
Alienz
I can't stand dial-up. When surfing the net it load bit by bit. This is why I change it to broadband.
n0obie4life
I used to use dialup.

Now, I use broadband.
Uloewa
DOH I pushed the wrong button Razz

I have broadband... but everytime the pc starts up I have to make conntection by hand. my download speed is something like 600kb/sec
and every month I'm over my 10 gig download limit Razz
such a limit is very crappy I think.
By my opinion it all has to be like in Holland, the broadband connections are very cheap and they don't have any limit on down- or upstream Wink

(let's all move to there Razz)
FriBogdan
I've waited some time to be able to connect via broadband (until a provider came with a decent offer...) but now i'm happy Smile. At speed's of 512-768 Kb/s... dialup....this is a outdated service...expensive and low quality.
tribe
I'll say this much; anyone who thought in the late 1990s AOL would be the biggest Internet Provider is getting killed. AOL is losing thousands of members a week and millions since Broadband got big. Now they find; PEOPLE THAT IS; there phone or cable provider is cheaper than AOL or MSN or Any other BIG NAME Broadband Service.

I pay $23 bucks a month for mine 200KB per sec; I got a wireless router which speeds it up to 20 mb per second...
Scotty Too Hotty
In my case it is not that i dont want hispeed it is that i had it, ADSL to be exact a 4 Mbps line. I moved about a month ago now and it seems that i am now unable to get anything but dialup in this region, only by a few houses at that. So my project i am working on right now is to either set up a CANTENNA, made with a pringles can, or to purchase a 10DB antenna in order to try and capture a signal be it ever so small.

The Hispeed cable 5Mbps is available accross the street but for buisness users only, and i am hoping they have a wireless conection that i can "BORROW" Smile.

But the ADSL company has said they are trying to finish bringing Hispeed to the rest of the provence by the ned of Spring, but some how i dont see it as feasable and if it is feasable it will only be because they cut too many corners, which will make it slow and slopy, and extrememly buggy.
clip
tribe wrote:
I'll say this much; anyone who thought in the late 1990s AOL would be the biggest Internet Provider is getting killed. AOL is losing thousands of members a week and millions since Broadband got big. Now they find; PEOPLE THAT IS; there phone or cable provider is cheaper than AOL or MSN or Any other BIG NAME Broadband Service.

I pay $23 bucks a month for mine 200KB per sec; I got a wireless router which speeds it up to 20 mb per second...

wow... 200kb/s mine's just 10% of your speed! 256kbps at 20-30kbps. lol
jeremoi
After having been on broadband I don't think I could ever go back.
Aiz
Been on Broadband for a few years now. Can't even bare to think back to the time I was stuck with dialup and tried to download something and had to leave it on for two weeks only to find IE decided to "time out" and have to start aaaall over again..man the joys. Broadband, although nice, really ticks me off when they go down and since most of them in suburban areas are monopolized, they take forever to get out here <.< (I was once stuck without internet for over a month).

I think, no-one WANTS to be on dialup, like this friend i met through an MMORPG I play, she's on dialup because she lives in rural midwest and they don't have cable, DSL, or any of that, she tried satellite but it was horrible so she just switched back to dialup >.>;; we actually need better internet access...
mOrpheuS
I have a 128kpbs (symmetrical) connection at home.
That's not dialup, but it's also not broandband as per the government recommendations.
I'm not sure which category to vote for. Confused

littlegiant wrote:

That actually depends on usage.
For just connecting to the internet and staring at the google index page...dial up is definitely cheaper.
For downloading several megabytes of data...definitely not.

littlegiant wrote:
If anyone could dig up some stats that are a little more recent than this, I'd be much obliged.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0512/

I know that's pretty conspicuous once you put the relevant keywords in a search engine...but just in case you missed it.

That site has monthly reports of US broadband usage.
As well as links to several other sites with similar research.

<edit> - another one - http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/111405release.html
OnlyOneLife
Who uses dial up? Comon now, don't be cheap. Broadband is worth all the money per month. HOw did this topic become a big discussion again?
windrei
2 months ago, i was still a dialup user~

but now i am sing broadband, as i've bought a new pc.

i hate dialup.... so slowwwww..............
shwetanshu
so alled broadband with 256 kbps up and down with 1 GB cap and Night data transfer from 12 midnight till 8 in the morn, data transfer is free
RedMuse
I just got my new broadband wireless connection. I was using dial up before. Dialup connection is my little darling turtle - real slow!!! Broadband is worth the money you pay at the end of the month, even if my wireless connection can sometimes not be connected (sorry, not quite good in english Rolling Eyes )
Silence
I had 2 Mbit/sec a few months ago but the provider said they can't provide 2 MB-s anymore in this region so they switched it back to 0,5 Mbit Evil or Very Mad , hopefully I will switch to another host in a few months then I get 2,5 Mb or 5 Mbits bleh I can't wait it Rolling Eyes
Richous05
im using Tiscali broadband 2.3mb/s with there phone service £15.99 a quater
Wotac
I have a boardband too and I remember how slow it was when I still had 56k modem. Especially for me because I use internet very much. For those who just check their e-mails once per week or something, they propably won't mind it for being a bit slow. But why to have slow connection when you can get boardband? In here it's even almost as cheap, only one or two euros more per month.

Also webpages are getting bigger and they have all those special effects on them. With a boardband, you don't see how much stuff it has to load before the page is done because it'll be ready in seconds anyway. But for those who still use dial-up connection it's going to be pretty painful to surf the web.
hrtorrent
I think dial up is past time. Broadband connections as DSL, ADSL, satelite and cable are awesome things. And if you have flat rate as I ....
Bondings
mOrpheuS wrote:
That's not dialup, but it's also not broandband as per the government recommendations.

We had something similar called ISDN in Belgium a few years ago. But it never became very popular.
littlegiant
Okay thanks for the links, Morpheus.

BTW, what keywords did you use in Google to come up with those?

At any rate, I think with narrowband (dialup) internet usage still at 35%, it's not quite yet time to stop optimizing websites for slow connection speeds.
CACHE
I live in Poland.... and i have very expensive internet... i pay +- 40$ for a 115,2Kb/s :/ Its stupid Exclamation Everyone have cheap broadband connect exetp me Twisted Evil
mOrpheuS
littlegiant wrote:
Okay thanks for the links, Morpheus.

BTW, what keywords did you use in Google to come up with those?

At any rate, I think with narrowband (dialup) internet usage still at 35%, it's not quite yet time to stop optimizing websites for slow connection speeds.

@littlegiant, I googled for "usa broadband trend".

and I agree with your point...optimising sites for faster load times helps everybody.
Perhaps not the broadband users as much as the dialup folk.
But whether or not to cut down on eye-candy to make it bearable for dialup....that's an entirely different debate altogether.

Many flash based sites have alternate versions for dialup folk...maybe that can be done (if the site makers care enough).

besides, narrowband usage in developed countries is going down...and fast Wink
pawelsz
I'm from Poland. I have good and cheap connection. Speed is 512kbps and it costs about $6
summer-sensation
justup2002 wrote:
How could any one stand to use dialup it takes like five years to load google plus you can't use the telephone i dont even remember having to go through that it's been so long since i have had dialup

Sometimes people don't have a choice. I don't. My parents won't get roadrunner.

Ack! Dial-up sucks!!!

But I agree. If I had a choice, I wouldn't use dial-up.
fiveboltbox
for my computer i use dialup.. but the person im living together has a broadband so i use person's connection when i need to do something serious.. or play online games.. which is the most of the time .. heh
DX-Blog
Broadband for about 5 years now, can't live without it Razz.
carriage_return
Well, I voted according to what I have, which is broadband.

I do have to make a comment though. Although I will agree, in general, with that conception that reads (and I took the liberty to take out some parts) that "broadband rules" and that it is faster, easier to bear, and more flexible than the less kb/s counterpart (dial-up), I would be weary of comments along the lines of "what's wrong with you?! dial-up sucks, get on broadband now!".

Let me remind you, that not everyone can get broadband. Maybe for availability (there is only one isp that offers broadband in the area I live, and I don't live in the countryside at all), maybe for prices, it's is not always even a choice. Think about this: I pay 95$ per month for broadband, that is the cheapest here, but I make use of it as much as I can, downloading and just using internet a great deal (to talk with my fiancι, for example); why would someone who only checks the newspaper and maybe his mails two or three times a week need broadband, specially sice the price is so steep?. Then again there is the lot of people who just can't afford it.

So yeah, broadband rocks, but that doesn't mean that dial-up sucks. At least not always.

carriage_return
valkyrie-heavens
i have wireless internet! as soon as my computer turns on im on the internet.
adwya
Broadband
Srs2388
I'm on broadband, a few years ago I had dial-up it was sooo slow
so we just put 5.12 K cable only 50$ a month so, its not that terribly bad
stiffler
Im on Qwest DSL, its pretty dang stable, I like it. Not as fast as Comcast Cable, but it has been more reliable for me.
littlegiant
Yeah I would definitely agree with your comments, carriage_return. My girlfriend doesn't even want unlimited dialup service because she simply doesn't need it and she ends up saving a few bucks by going with the 60hr/month plan. And she doesn't even use that up. She usually averages around 10-20 hours per month.
vignesh_natraj
I use broadband.It quite cheap here in india.We get very good speeds too.There is a lot of competetion between the providers so they reduce the rate and plans very often
vignesh_natraj
mOrpheuS wrote:

littlegiant wrote:

That actually depends on usage.
For just connecting to the internet and staring at the google index page...dial up is definitely cheaper.
For downloading several megabytes of data...definitely not.

littlegiant wrote:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0512/

I know that's pretty conspicuous once you put the relevant keywords in a search engine...but just in case you missed it.

That site has monthly reports of US broadband usage.
As well as links to several other sites with similar research.

<edit> - another one - http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/111405release.html

Even a unlimited pack is quite cheap. It is very useful if one uses torrents and downloads movies ,games,etc
littlegiant
Quote:
Even a unlimited pack is quite cheap. It is very useful if one uses torrents and downloads movies ,games,etc

Yes I know but I never download movies or games. I'm into collectors items so I actually buy DVDs (I know, I know, my brother is always saying to me "Buy?!? Buy?!? You actually buy movies?!?" *chuckle*) Also, as I mentioned before, I like to stay in touch with the actual experience of surfing the net at slow speeds. When the percentage of dialup users goes below 10% then I'll make the switch and figure that dialup has gone the way of the dodo.
Jimbo
I use broadband because i do a ton of online gaming. If i didnt do so much gaming i would not mind having dialup. Because i actually buy my music and dvd's downloading illegally is not a problem for me.
erlendhg
We have gotten 3 Mb broadband internet access.
Dial up connection is so slow.
The Internet here is like a dream, it goes so fast Razz

Also in many cases it is much cheaper to have broadband then dial up.
If you regulary use the Internet, the phone bills will grow much huger than if you pay a monthly fee for broadband.

Happy new year Razz
mathiaus
Broadband but only 512k. Hoping to persuade my mum to upgrade to 1m as no chance of 2+. Some areas dont support mutch faster speeds where I live so ...

Lots of people still use dial-up. This to me seems old as well as it does to many of you. Then again those using 8-24mb broadband must think I'm living in the past! Smile
earth2
Where I'm living broadband is double for what I pay for dial-up so I am definitely sticking with the slower connection. So sad, but so true. Laughing
earth2
NobodiesHero
right now I'm using broadband but I used dialup for a long time and actually it is enough if you don't download a lot of stuff. For normal surfing for some information a 56k modem is sufficient.
ainieas
I remember the days of my dial-up. I had to wait days for my downloads to finish. Now I'm downloading like crazy everyday. I'm broadband now, BTW.
PeoplesChamp
Man....I have dial up but it only takes 5 seconds to bring up google. But now if i were to search it at leasts take 10 seconds to pop up.. Idk were i live i cant get DSL Broadband/Roadrunner. nuthing like that around here.. not even cable. It costs to much for dish but we do have DirectTV. all i ever had in my life was dial up. but i guess it works for me and i think it kicks ass!
man4hire78
Broadband!!!
bigdan
djcaution wrote:
wow people r still using dialup... that's stoneage man... GODDAMNIT MAN GET A HOLD OF YOURSELVES!!!!! YOU'RE LIVING IN THE PAST PEOPLE!!!!!! YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MINDS!!!! HAVE THEY ALREADY GOTTEN TO YOU TO!!!?????? Shocked

Calm down mate and grab a dose of reality. Mad

I live in an area where broadband is non-existant. The major telco will not even consider upgrading the phone lines out my way for broadband. The major telco will not care about those in regional areas once they sell their remaining shares, thanks to a CEO who looks like the lead singer of Los Lobos. Mad

When you lot go nuts when you find out people still use dialup...stop and think about people like me. We do exist...as much as you'd like us to shrivel up and die.
gonzo
dialup is so passe
bigdan
gonzo wrote:
dialup is so passe

Dial-up maybe passe, but in cases like mine...it is the only choice.Mad

So lay off the criticisms of those who use dial-up...some of us have no choice. Mad
yuniq
So expensive and hard to get broadband in Indonesia.
Cyouz
TO me right.... I think broadband is 1000000% beter than dial up which is very obvious...

Dial up still have to wait for loading time and although the fee is real cheap but broadband allows unlimited usage of the internet... POlay till you drop
loserfest
I've been on AOL for as long as I can remember, I only just got highspeed 2 weeks ago. At least there's one good thing about dial-up, it makes you appreciate broadband way more. Very Happy
Daniel15
I'm going to get ADSL2+, once my ISP upgrades my exchange (they said it will be done by April 2006)

So then I can get up to 24Mb/s instead of the 1.5Mb/s I get now, for the same price or cheaper Very Happy

It is cheaper because once they install their own DSLAM in the exchange, I'm connected straight to their equipment. With normal ADSL, companies have to rent the equipment off Telstra Wholesale. It costs ISP's AU$55 per port if they are reselling off Telstra, but only AU$19 if they use their own equipment (this isn't counting bandwidth costs, network maintenance, etc.). This is why lots of ISP's want to upgrade to ADSL2+ (in the long run, it means more profit for them)
falconfx
I've got a 4Mb broadband Internet access. It costs me 29€/month.

I've abandoned the dial-up connection many years ago because of its slowness.
omeration
I pay 76$ a month for T2. But it is well worth it, for uploading and downloading files.
Wotac
Looks like internet connection situation is not the same in every country, some of you here say that you pay like 3 times more for boardband than some others. That's not quite fair. I'm in a situation like that myself.

I have (propably) 2Mb connection, I'm not sure because my ISP sent a letter some time ago that they'll speed up my connection from 1Mb to 2Mb. That happens sometimes.
But I heard that in Sweden, witch is right next to Finland, have their boardband connection around 50Mb. I heard that's because the government there supports ISPs so they have more resources to build better cables etc.
bcnhs81
im on broadband.. its a major pain when uploading large files to my site on a dial-up connection.. i got my broadband connection as an xmas gift Very Happy
aalmighty
Broadband baby!
leftofcenter
We got broadband about a year ago, and I don't know what I'd do without it! The though of a 56k modem makes me want to curl up and cry. Crying or Very sad