FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best Anti virus that i can get for free??

bcnhs81
i need your opinions guys.. i really need to update my AV but i do not have cash right now.. can anyone here post a free but reliable AV? thanks
srijit
i personally use avast from http://avast.com
why? earlier i had dialup and the updates took only abt a minute, compared to hell with norton. after that i guess i just stuck with it. you haveto apply for a home license key which they send to your mail address. that key is valid for 14 months after which you will have to request again. just a minor inconvenience but its free Very Happy

another antivirus that i am hearing good things about is AVG from http://grisoft.com it too has a free version

happy virus hunting Very Happy
blu3bird
woah, thanks for tat infor
win66
bcnhs81 wrote:
i need your opinions guys.. i really need to update my AV but i do not have cash right now.. can anyone here post a free but reliable AV? thanks

Now i using eTrust.
It is a best antvirus program. One year Free update.You can try it.
misterdimiz
srijit wrote:
i personally use avast from http://avast.com
why? earlier i had dialup and the updates took only abt a minute, compared to hell with norton. after that i guess i just stuck with it. you haveto apply for a home license key which they send to your mail address. that key is valid for 14 months after which you will have to request again. just a minor inconvenience but its free Very Happy

another antivirus that i am hearing good things about is AVG from http://grisoft.com it too has a free version

happy virus hunting Very Happy

Also I use AVAST and I find it very good.
Join it! Wink
Richous05
Avg is probably the best
comp615
Although it's not entirely free, I am very happy with Trend Micro and PC-Cillan...the program came with my mobo and a free year of updates. However, after that year you can still get free updates you just download a file off their site and run patch.exe...not as automatic as it just popping up saying it updated, but it's really nice and catchs more then Norton and way more then McAfee (Boooo)
hrtorrent
Trust me.
I have big problems in my company network before I install "Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition". This is client - server proffesional edition. At server computer I installed server version and deploy over LAN client versions on every computer in network.
Program works at several ways. First, at log on or Windows start checks all important files (That takes 1-2 minutes of slow work at begining).
Second, program is resident and intecept all virus, worm, trojan and even spyware activities.
Third - It have quarantine, so you can allways check infected files.
You can start file check manualy and periodicly.

The best thing: Every few days release new virus definition file and every few weeks new program core is relesed and both you can upgrade for free.

Cool
Rocky3478
I haven't had any problem with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. It works pretty well...
photon
avg is one of the best free av progs out there. ive also heard about avast but never used it. for a free av, avg has pretty decent detection rules, you also get regular updates, etc. and what more, its not a memory hog like pc-cillin or norton
yjwong
In my opinion, AVG is good for system scanning but it is not very good in the scanning of emails attachments as compared to avast. AVG's user interface is very simple, easy to use.

If you use Outlook Express, Avast is the anti-virus software for you.
Wd_removed
I say AVG personally. www.grisoft.com to download a free copy.
earth2
I use ClamWin. It's a free antivirus and seems to use less resources than other AV's. Here is the web address for it: http://www.clamwin.com/
I've also used avast and thought it a good av also. I use f-prot for linux just in case you're using that OS, even though people snicker even when I mention an AV for Linux. Laughing
Regardless, ClamWin is free and I've been using for about a year. The only bad thing about it that I can see is that there's not email virus scanning for Mozilla Thunderbird yet. But if you use MS Outlook you're in the clear. I still use Thunderbird for my personal email client though. It's just a cooler app than Outlook in my opinion. Hope this helps some. Earth2
SamiTheBerber
Best antivirus is to copy all importat document to cd and download one of the linux-distrubation.
> format c:
Put linux-cd in cd-drive and install it.

This would be the best antivirus program. Then more secure can have to install some anti-virus to linux.
root
SamiTheBerber wrote:
Best antivirus is to copy all importat document to cd and download one of the linux-distrubation.
> format c:
Put linux-cd in cd-drive and install it.

This would be the best antivirus program. Then more secure can have to install some anti-virus to linux.

lol i agree
bigdan
I use Avast...its free, quick to update. I've had no problems with it since.

Well worth the constant re-registeration every 14 months. Very Happy