FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beloved Barbie?

wowz
Researchers Find Barbie Is Often Mutilated

Quote:
Researchers from the university's marketing and psychology departments questioned 100 children about their attitudes to a range of products as part of a study on branding. They found Barbie provoked the strongest reaction, with youngsters reporting "rejection, hatred and violence," Nairn said.

Personally, I never played with Barbie as a kid, but I can't say that I wouldn't have done this myself... I was more into boys toys like dinkies and starwars action figures! You know, the cool stuff? heh..

Quote:
"The meaning of 'Barbie' went beyond an expressed antipathy; actual physical violence and torture towards the doll was repeatedly reported, quite gleefully, across age, school and gender," she said.

Right, I don't like the doll, but really? I can see teens hating her, because she's 'perfect' and it's impossible to have her figure without getting a rib or two removed (litterally), but young children? Well... this may explain it:

Quote:
"The most readily expressed reason for rejecting Barbie was that she was babyish, and girls saw her as representing their younger childhood out of which they felt they had now grown," she said

Anyway, the psychologists don't think this is any reason to be alarmed. Children aren't like us:

Quote:
"Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in breaking, mutilating and torturing their dolls is deeply disturbing, from the child's point of view they were simply being imaginative in disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling," she said.

Isn't that how serial killers start out? No wait, they torture small animals........?
QwertyManiac
haha, we will have more "Barbies" killing us Laughing

Personally I have broken more than a dozen barbie dolls of my elder sis when I was small Twisted Evil
acamas
When I was young I stole all my sisters barbies and gave them hair cuts lol. see wasnt very happy when she saw barbie with a moehawk Wink!

Me and my friends have burnt a barbie with degreeser. hey it was fun lol. she turned out so charcoled! Good times good times

I do think that baby is a bad rolemodel but hey what can people do about it?