FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I'm tired of it...





Monkeydog
Almost everyone defends a console on graphics. What the hell has graphics ever done for you? NOTHING. I have never played a game and go "OMG THE GRAPHICS ARE SO FUN!!!"

Seriously, how is graphics going to make a game/console better? Graphics can only, really, make a game worse. If I can't see what I'm doing, or the camera sucks...thats the graphics fault.
I don't buy a GCN or DS because of the graphics, it's because the games have actual GAMEPLAY. The consoles are made for GAMES, not graphics.
The greatest generation of gaming has to be between the Genesis and SNES...all the games on those consoles are still worshiped today. Gunstar Heros, Sonic, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Seikin Denetsu, Fire Emblem, Bust A Move, Puyo Pop!, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentcle, Descent, Simcity, among others were great because of...GAMEPLAY. Not graphics.

On another note, there is no such thing as "kiddy" graphics. Saying Windwaker has "kiddy" graphics is like saying Jet Set Radio or Invader Zim has "kiddy" graphics, they don't. And since when does it matter if the game looks "kiddish"? I'd rather play a amazingly fun game full of "kiddish" graphics than a totally releastic game.

weeee I'm done ranting now...
Hanpusu-kun
This is a kinda common thing that hardcore gamers discuss about.
And I really think the same as you.
gh0stface
Well, at the time, a lot of the older games didn't have the technological break through that we currently have. So they were limited with what they could do graphicwise. Because of that, I think they spent more time trying to make the game more creative.

Now that we have the abilities to make games look extrememly nice, I think people want the games to look better then gameplay. Although I would like combination of both. More gameplay then graphics though.
traxion
im half right whit u

the gameplay is short(sp) in the most games to short
games like the old games u dont find anymore

graphics make a game good, for example there will be never a COD2 with graphics (like pong) the graphics are making or hating a game. the game with the best graphics will the best be sold.

but if they make the graphics not better they are good by now and they work at game play, longer SP like 8 hour make it 20 a 30 hours SP. they dont do that it takes longer to make the game and more money while there are gamers who only pley the MP.

the MP is also a reason way SP is shorter. MP is endless, every game is a different one, every player u play against is different. so at a good game MP is never board.

it is now 80% graphics and 20% gameplay if they make it 50-50 all the games will be better greater and more worth for uer money.
Haku
I think as you do, but you know that sometimes graphic and sound can make you feel like your in the game, you can't play megaman and say, OMFG! It's so REAL!!!, i love megaman (greatest games ever made) but graphx and sound are sometimes (combined with gameplay) really nice. For example; HL2 Without the graphx and the sound wouldn't be HL2...
afux
i don't defend a console on graphics
graphics are only the second important on consoles
on first comes the gameplay
but then comes the graphics

graphics are good, because if they get better, they look more realistic and the games make much more fun

but old games like mario make much more fun in 2d as in 3d
Twisted Evil
trickstott
Although I agree that console buying decisions ought to be based on the quality of gameplay on a system, I do believe that graphic quality is really important to games.

Shadow of the Colossus would have been a terrible game if its graphics had been any worse. Same with most of the WWII shooters. While stylized graphics can be great, some subjects require a level of visual detail that could not be attained without the recent improvements in graphics.

I figure that if you are a fan of gritty shooters or really excellent looking mass combat, you should be leaning on the side of the PS3. Otherwise, graphics shouldn't be a really big concern in this console war. PS3 will win that fight, and that will mean that it will get a lot of non-gamer customers purely on the merit of its looks.

Gameplay wise, this war will be a toss up between the Revolution and the PS3. Revolution will definately have the most interesting gameplay techniques, but it will also suffer from a real shortage of developers. Everyone and their dog will be developing for the PS3, so some really great games are bound to come out. A lot of crap will hit the system, its bound to happen with Sony's liscencing policy, but some of the best gems will also hit the PS3.

When it comes to close purchasing analysis, the Xbox 360 only has one thing going for it: its out right now. So if you are dying to play some great looking but mediocre shooters and sports titles, go at it. Have fun, that's what it is for. Just expect to buy one of the other systems when they come out. Heck. If you can afford a 360 right now, you will probably be able to get the other ones when they come out.

Have fun, folks.
djcaution
"I don't buy a GCN or DS because of the graphics, it's because the games have actual GAMEPLAY."

Dude, the reason they have that actual GAMEPLAY is because of the graphics and processing power to do just that. Like say you're playing a game where you're in a vast world that spans as far as you can see. That's gameplay right, but graphics too.. idunno how to say it but what I mean is graphics and gameplay come hand in hand.
Dean_The_Great
djcaution wrote:
idunno how to say it but what I mean is graphics and gameplay come hand in hand.


I agree and disagree. They serve each other, yes. But they are not the same thing. I've played through Final Fantasy I more than once, and it has terrible graphics. This, of course, is due to the limitations of 8-Bit technology. But the game is still fun.

On the other hand, some games are visually breath-taking, but as soon as the game starts it's frustrating and you turn it off. No amount of visuals will make you want to play the game.

However, you put a game like Prince Of Persia on the table, and I'll play it everytime. Excellent, variable gameplay, and wicked (but not industry number one) graphics make it good, not one or the other.
KungFuChris
Monkeydog wrote:
Seriously, how is graphics going to make a game/console better? Graphics can only, really, make a game worse.


Whilst I can see your point and agree with you that gameplay design and implementation is the first priority of any game, I disagree that better graphics are inherently a bad thing.

For instance, should you have two games with exactly the same gameplay, but one has been spruced with more appealing graphics, you can be pretty certain that the one with the better graphics is the most likely to be played more often.

Would you rather play Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube or the PSX? (by the way I'm assuming that, from what I've been told, there is little difference between the gameplay between the two)
Monkeydog
KungFuChris wrote:
Monkeydog wrote:
Seriously, how is graphics going to make a game/console better? Graphics can only, really, make a game worse.


Whilst I can see your point and agree with you that gameplay design and implementation is the first priority of any game, I disagree that better graphics are inherently a bad thing.

I'm not saying gfx per say are a bad thing, but totally relying on buying a game, or saying a game is better over graphics is ridiculous.
Yes, you can't make a game without graphics, but it seems nowadays companys, and even worse consumers, all want graphics, and pretty much end up taking away from longer games or better gameplay. They waste all their time making graphics, which also wastes disk space, and not enough time thinking of unique ideas or good controls.

RE1 for GCN, since it has better controls. =p
driftingfe3s
Its like the Dreamcast. I think thats my most favorite console and currently, I play it much more thatn my PS2. So many awesome games that are so unique and very fun, but becuase it wasn't as powerful as the PS2 many people didn't bother with the Dreamcast. There are very few games that I really like on the PS2. Too bad I don't have a GC or DS becuase there are very fun games that I really want to play. There's nothing better than getting together with friends and playing some Smash!

Monkeydog:
There's no point in getting mad at gamers who just base a game on its graphics, sure eye candy is nice, but those type of gamers are missing out on amazing experiences, so you should be sorry for them.
TeK
graphics... bah... A game could have pong graphics, but if it's good I'll play it. I don't really get why people seem to be focusing on how the games look, more than how they play. I mean a game could look like reality, but if the gameplay sucks it is crap.
Temple
If graphics make the game, then why is everyone still playing SNES and other 16bit consoles? Cause of the gameplay! I haven't played a goood console game in a long time, the last good console game I've played was PSO on GC. Gameplay is where it should all be at. Graphics should be good, but not like, OMG THIS GAME LOOKS REAL! It's a game, it isn't supposed to look real, it's supposed to be fake and fun.
Jayfarer
I agree, except on the part where graphics can ONLY make a game worse. They are not a flaw, they are a bonus. But they are not essential to a good game, and I think most people accept that. It's just that graphics are the first thing that grabs people when they look at the back of the box.
Monkeydog
Jayfarer wrote:
I agree, except on the part where graphics can ONLY make a game worse. They are not a flaw, they are a bonus. But they are not essential to a good game, and I think most people accept that. It's just that graphics are the first thing that grabs people when they look at the back of the box.

Well when I said that I was thinking more along the lines of 3D Sonic/Megaman where the graphics and cammera and junk get in the way of actually playing the game.
Dustinin
You can still have a fun game without graphics, but without graphics there is no wow effect.


I still remember when i saw the madden commercial and the guys mouth moved, that made me want to buy the game so bad. Now moving mouths and blinking eyes are nothing compared to the graphical standard in Madden
FriBogdan
I do prefer game play over graphics but graphic is very important. Without realistic graphic u don't gave a realistic game (this doesn't apply at strategy games). This is why people buy for PC's better video cards...to have a realistic experience...with effects and so on...
jeffleo
It would be good to have both excellent graphics and excellent gameplay, but those are hard to come by. And seriously? What's kiddy graphics? Surprised

Anyways, games should be judge both on gameplay first before being judged on graphics. Though the graphical part might not make a huge impact on the game, but it really does spice things up. It's an eye candy ya see?
TonkPilz
well to me the graphics are ONE inportent part of the story telling of the game
beter graphics have done alot for gamers if it whasent for better graphics wolfenstine 3d most likley whuldent be and we have no 3d games att all.
graphics is a vital part of the programing and working of a game that will fiture an invierment or a main char in a rpg.adventure or any puzzel game

whell thats just my pint btw to tierd to korrect my eng sy about that
kansloos
You're game can look so well, but when the gameplay is crap nobody will buy it.

When you make a game and the graphics are ****** up in 50 different ways. but the gameplay is perfect, some people will buy it.

When you'll do both, a lot of people will buy it.
DX-Blog
As a gamer I could care less about graphics. In some games realistic graphics just suit better though, just think of shooters in example which take place in a real world environment, WWII or such. Realism then just is a pro.

If you're playing an RPG game though it doesn't truly matter how the graphics look, as long as it just has a good story to it it's pretty much enjoyable. In this case quests, lighting, shading and sound does a lot more than just flashy graphics.

When you start thinking about the development of the game though than graphics are pretty damn interesting. You start to wonder how the devs made those shading techniques etc. But that doesn't truly offer you a better gameplay, just inspiration.
Related topics
[OFFICIAL]What song are you listening to right now ?
Who is Tired of MySpace?
How do you Whistle Loudly ?
House M.D.
I'm tired of poor design.
tired
The God Dellusion - Richard Dawkins
Why it is important to sleep at the right time
What are your experiences facing the day tired?
You're feeling ___ because...
Very Tired
tired
Tired and disappointed
Too tired to go on, Pope Benedict resigns
As you get tired, what does your body start saying?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.