FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Formating & the Hard disk

alkutob
I heard many times that formating can affect on the hard disk ,, is that right ...
My friend said that formating his PC is like washing dishes ( Every month )... what is the side effects of formating
leodv
It's quite correct, if u reformat with full format. With full format, the reset all the data in the harddisk to "blank data", therefore it will need 2 write to the whole diskspace. If you frequently format, it's like repeatly erasing a erase, it wears out fast.
driftingfe3s
Windows has a..uhh...digital half-life, I guess you would call it. Data is swaped all over the hard disk and over a long period of time preformance starts to degrade. Theres a point where no amout of defragmenting will speed a slow system such as this. The answer: reformat.

I like to reformat every year or so. Its a big task and takes a long time installing everything agian unless you've taken an image of you hard disk early on.

I don't think reformating damages the hard drive. Its the same as the hard-drive's normal writing and reading. On my older computer I've reformated dozens of times and the hard drive is fine.
Naif
alkutob wrote:
I heard many times that formating can affect on the hard disk ,, is that right ...
My friend said that formating his PC is like washing dishes ( Every month )... what is the side effects of formating

Thats not true. Formatting a hard disk shouldnt cause any damage. I never heard of such a thing before.
dxhunter
No good every mounth formating Hardisk. You repair windows much better...
Vindictive
Formating your hard disk once a month wouldn't hurt anything but it is a big waste of time, since once a year would be fine just to get rid of usless junk and speed things up a bit.

I have a old 20gb maxtor thats been formated at least 40 times over the last 6 years and it's still running just as well as my 120gb thats been formated twice.
leodv
Usually people who reformat more is prone to harddisk failure sooner, as it rewrites the whole harddisk with blank data. A reformat usually writes to disk more than the common task, unless you are downloading stuffs contantly..It's the wear and tear of the harddisk that affect the lifespan of it.
argha
first of all why you need to format your disk every month ? I believe ther must be a reasson to format a drive, formating a drive is only rerquired if you have to deleate a partition or you need to create a new drive or your OS have crashed .. , that dose not happen every month.. Its best practice to maintain your disk with proper updateds to OS, and usinfg the tools like defrag, and scandisk to check the intrigity of the drive.. Format is the last option for me If nothing can be done to make the system work..
aningbo
yeah i dont see a reason as to why someone has to format the HD every month!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey who says it wears out as we format... have to check on that if thats true!
d722002
Well, I have a floppy disk. and on it it says one word:
Nuke

It is the equivalent of 50 FDisk procedures. It is a lot of fun.
But anyways, I have been experimenting for some months with a linux computer, trying out different distros, etc. I have to reformat between distro installs, and After about 100 reformats and 2 or 3 'nuke' disks, I have seen no performance change in my hard drive. But I have heard the theory that too many reformats will fry a hard disk. So far, the only thing that has ever fried a HDD in my computer was lack of cooling. Never had a reformat problem
Cridiron
Reformatting won't hurt the drive as has been previously stated...once a year is a good amount of time to wait before reformatting. If you do it once a month, it could be a big waste of time.
aningbo
but checking your system and running those endless anti- programs to get rid of them takes forever. rather i would say format it which would take less than 2 hours even if you have a damn slow pc.
GrimReaper77
A full format causes the read/write heads to land (not physicaly of course) once/twice on every sector of the disk platters.

Each sector during its lifetime can be written many thousands of times, and read many times more before going 'bad'. The Mean Failure Time for a sector is 1.6 million hours. That's right, you'll have to read & write to 1 part of a disk 1.6 million hours continuously on average before it gives you trouble.

So formatting with any kind of frequency would not cause your drive to go bad noticably faster e.g. saying x formats reduces your drive lifetime by so many months is bollocks. Of course there are the lemon hard-drives that come defective, and will go bad on you after 6 months. That's another story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk.htm
KHO
Re-formatting should only be done if it is absolutely necessary. There is a softer, more gentle way to do this now to, with the windows XP disk, if you already have XP installed, and you boot from the disk, you can repair your installation, then you can deleate a partion, this will remove all data from your hard drive, but it does it in a manor that seems alot more precise and delicate rather than just "format c:" and l think this will actually help keep your hard drive in good condition if you must format.
ronitvohra
Maintaining your PC is much like looking after your car. Certainly on most days you’ll turn the key and the car will start. Over time, however, a car will begin behaving erratically, especially if you don’t pay attention to those little details like changing the oil regularly. The car may still work, but the performance generally won’t be close to what it should be.

so proper defragmentation,scanddisk...and format are the available methods which can help u to work things as they were before..but regular formats is just waste of time untill u have reasons to format...

another thing is do keep defragmentation every week..tht will increase the life of hdd to somewht extent.....
dcshoes23
quick formatting ur harddrive doesn't really shorten its life, unless u do a full format because when u do a full format that ensures the data can never be recovered so it write on every single block on the harddrive causing more ware and tear than a quick format which just tells ur os that it can overwrite any data on the disk. There is a difference in the amount of wear but it is very little, and i don't think significant.
kVictor
i have a problem, when i insert my windows 7 CD in my PC (in booting) the PC doesn't read it but if i insert windows 8 CD it read it why???
jajarvin
kVictor wrote:

I have a problem, when i insert my windows 7 CD in my PC (in booting) the PC doesn't read it

At first, you could wash the cd disc in lukewarm water with a little dishwashing agent.
Then, rinse the CD with clean water. Then wipe gently with a soft cloth Cd.
This has helped me often when the CD-ROM drive does not read the CD disc.
Marcuzzo
jajarvin wrote:
kVictor wrote:

I have a problem, when i insert my windows 7 CD in my PC (in booting) the PC doesn't read it

At first, you could wash the cd disc in lukewarm water with a little dishwashing agent.
Then, rinse the CD with clean water. Then wipe gently with a soft cloth Cd.
This has helped me often when the CD-ROM drive does not read the CD disc.

don't do this!!! just use a soft cloth and gently wipe it.

1. is the Windows 7 disk original?
2. can you read the contents of the disk when NOT booting? Same as 1
bensh3
whiping (which someone called it a "full format") might hurt if you're having an SSD.
SSD has write life-time so while whiping and set all sectors to zero, it might shorten you're ssd lifetime
johans
alkutob wrote:

I think hard-disk now are more fragile compared with the old ones. I can say its easy now to format a hard disk command compared than before.

In old days you need a professional or high knowledge of computer to format the hard disk but now these days kids knows how to format; even term format.
Da Rossa
On the other hand, I've heard it is a myth that constantly formatting a hard drive wears it out.

But why would you format it over and over? Count how many times you format in its full lifetime. You shouldn't be worried about it.
rx9876
johans wrote:

I think hard-disk now are more fragile compared with the old ones.

Indeed.
My 128M hard disk worked fine for 6 years.
My other hard disks ( 10G, 40G, 100G, 2.5T) mostly malfunctioned about 2.5 year which is just several months after the warranty expired.

I can't help to think they design it on purpose.
Da Rossa
Don't be shy about it. You're right. A trusted colleague of mine has pointed the finger at the Seagate ones. Once top notch in the zero's (past decade), now they do fail short after the warranty expires. So this friend of mine has told me to go for the WD ones. If they're broken, the malfunction will show up early, while you're still covered by the warranty.

Does anyone can tell me whether this same idea applies to the SSDs? I've never had one.
rx9876
Da Rossa wrote:
Does anyone can tell me whether this same idea applies to the SSDs? I've never had one.

There are so many articles about the SSD endurance.
I read some of them,
and most of them claimed SSD is better in a proper using circumstance,
but SSD is evolving during these years which makes them are not so correct.

One of them is only to delete files when the SSD is full,
so every single flash chip were used nearly the same times, and delay the first bad chip.
However, some better managed SSD will control which chip to write next time to average the usage rate by mapping physical address and logical address.

Since we are not familiar with the actual SSD functional theory of our SSD,
it's really hard to know what to do and what not to do.

The most important and confirmed instruction is to backup frequently.
Da Rossa
Then I would me more concerned about not the actual data, which I do backup frequently, but the disk's lifetime itself. SSDs are still expensive!