FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Macintosh Tiger OS X

yenglin
I'm interested in what others think of Macintosh's new Tiger upgrade for OS X...
yupeng
I haven't use MAC OS still now.
Only used Linux and windows
riv
Mac OSX Tiger includes some new neat features; here are the major ones:

There's Dashboard, which allows you to run small applications called "widgets," such as calculator, calendar, etc. This is really the feature that made me upgrade.
Secondly, there's Spotlight, which is basically a "desktop search engine." Spotlight mainly indexes everything, including "metadata," which is basically data about data. Although Spotlight is kinda slow, I still is pretty useful sometimes.
Another main feature that excites me is Automator, which is basically an graphical interface to AppleScript. It allows you to make "workflows," which allow you to automate repeative things, or complicated ones without knowing how to code.
Finally, the interface has an subtle change, and the menubar looks much better. There's also lots of changes under the hood, too, like the Libary structure.

I suggest that you should update if you can. For some more info, visit http://www.apple.com/macosx/
cheeta
MAC OS X does all the job what vista does... OS X does it far better than vista... vista needs 2GB RAM 256MB high power graphics to do the same job what OS X tiger does with 128 MB RAM & a very lowend 8 or 16MB card..... Very Happy
Talk2Tom11
MAC OS tiger has some amazing features in it. I has speed, a nice look, and a fun environment. But if you want to change anything forget it. Personally I feel people are better off running windows or linux on a machine. Your will get ten times more feedom with them.
Rocky3478
I just switched from Windows XP SP2 to OS X Tiger a few months ago, and I must say that it has been an enjoyable experience. I always thought that XP when properly configured was a very stable OS, until I met Tiger. The sheer rock-solid stablity of the Mac is absolutly incredible to me. It's not necessarily faster then a PC, but it is more consistent, and is almost impossible to crash when you have enough RAM (I use 1.5 Gbs of RAM). In my experience, XP would need at least 2 Gbs of RAM to equal OS X in this configuration.

Freedom, yes. If that's what you want, then XP is the best OS for someone, IMO. But if all you want is to be productive, and not spend much time maintaining your computer, then I feel that Macs have the edge.

Last note, is that Vista seems to be copying what Apple has had for a long time.....So there must be something to the Mac approach.... Wink