FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to install two OSs on one computer?

Nyizsa
The title might be a bit misleading. I don't need help on how to do it, I'm worried about the legal aspects.

I would like to install an other OS on my computer (as you might have been guessed by clicking on this topic). But my problem is:

1. I purchased my computer with WinXP installed on it - without the original CD (I was told that this is usual).
2. This SUCKS! (But I also like to play games.)
3. I would like to install a REAL OS on my computer, keeping also the (@$^%*) WinXP.

So, my questions are:
a) Is there a hard disk repartitioning utility which handles NTFS well? (Without paying $79.99) - Simplest method.
b) If I do the repartitioning with FDISK and reformatting and so on, and I install a new WinXP on one of the partitions, will it be legal? (Since I purchased the license with the computer, right?) - Best method not reagrding legal issues.
c) Reformat the whole HD and install Solaris or Linux. - My favourite, but that addiction to games...

So? Any ideas?
Texas Al
Since you're concerned about legality *and* cost at the same time, I won't recommend that you, um, obtain a copy of PartitionMagic.

The next best thing might be QTParted.

It's included with the Knoppix distribution, so you can boot it off the CD, unlock the hard drive, b/c Knoppix locks it by default to keep n00bs from accidentally deleting their drives, and non-destructively repartition to your heart's delight.

Perhaps the Linux distro you want even has a non-destructive partitioning utility as part of the install process. Try booting off that CD.
Texas Al
And don't worry so much about the legality of XP. For a home computer, you're not going to get caught unless you get busted for some other computer crime and they happen to notice you have a pirated Windows in the process of going over your computer with a fine toothed comb. And if you've done something naughty enough to warrant that sort of attention, stealing a copy of Windows from Microsoft is going to be the least of your problems.

Seriously, it's an absolute ripoff that they don't even provide install CD's with computers anymore. Since the majority of customers are too much like sheep to care, your wallet is out-voted by their wallets, and if you need to install XP on a fresh partition, you might have no choice but to borrow the CD from a friend and then type in the license number that you recieved with the computer (hopefully you kept the "Genuine Microsoft" card that has the number on it).

It doesn't matter where you installed Windows XP from-- as long as you're using the legitimate number that's on the certificate that came with the computer when you bought it, your copy is legitimate, and will be accepted by the Microsoft Update site as legitimate.
Daniel15
If you're going to install Linux, then most Linux distributions have partitioning systems in-built to the installer.

For example, Ubuntu. When you boot off the CD, into the installer, one of the first things you see is a partitioning screen that allows you to decide what partitions you want

Otherwise, obtain a copy of VMWare. It allows you to have "Virtual PC's" on your computer, complete with virtual hard drive. No need for partitioning, just start your Windows XP, run VMWare and start the virtual PC. It will work exactly the same as if you had actually installed the operating system.
Nyizsa
Thank you folks, you helped me a lot.
QTParted looks very promising, the only problem is that my wife doesn't like the idea that I mess with partitions. Well, next thing is to convince her... or one of the christmas presents will be a new HD. Wink
motamedi
======================================
=======INSTALL TWO OSs ON A PC=============

For install two OSs on one computer please read this post;

If you want to install two Windows for example: Windows 98 and Windows XP:
In the begin select primary partition for example C:
Then run Windows 98 setup and install Windows 98.
After finished installing successes fully, do next step.
Run Windows XP setup.
At long the installing select logical drive for install Windows on it.
Now you install two Windows on your PC.

But you want to install Windows and Linux or Lindows:
At the first install each Windows you want : Windows 98 , Windows ME , Windows 2000 , Windows NT , windows XP or windows Vista.
Run Linux or Lindows Setup .
Embarassed WARNING : befor installing you most select a drive with EXT3 format and you most select all drive formated or the partition that you select.
If you select all partition delet all your information and your data .

then select other choices and Continue .
Now you install two OSs on your PC .

DO AND ENJOY IT. Very Happy Laughing
=====================================
motamedi
=======INSTALL TWO OSs ON A PC=============

For install two OSs on one computer please read this post;

If you want to install two Windows for example: Windows 98 and Windows XP:
In the begin select primary partition for example C:
Then run Windows 98 setup and install Windows 98.
Run Windows XP setup.
At long the installing select logical drive for install Windows on it.
Now you install two Windows on your PC.

But you want to install Windows and Linux or Lindows:
At the first install each Windows you want : Windows 98 , Windows ME , Windows 2000 , Windows NT , windows XP or windows Vista.
Run Linux or Lindows Setup .
Embarassed WARNING : befor installing you most select a drive with EXT3 format and you most select all drive formated or the partition that you select.
If you select all partition delet all your information and your data .

then select other choices and Continue .
Now you install two OSs on your PC .

DO AND ENJOY IT. Very Happy Laughing
=====================================
srijit
^^^^ he didnt ask abt HOW to install two OS's.
Nyizsa
Ok, everybody, here is the truth!
I bought an other HD, and I decided to install Solaris 10 and Debian.
These things might have been written in other topics scattered around the forum, but I think someone might find useful reading everything in one place.
I have a Compaq Presario with NVidia GeForce4. So:

1. I booted from Solaris cd1. I specified to install to c0d1. (at least to half of it.) It told me that it is not the bootdisk of the computer, so I will need to manually select it for boot. Ok, I will - I thought. Cd1 installed - reboot.

2. Well, well... WinXP boots up - no way to continue the Solaris installation! But I was clever enough to decide to install Linux also - it has a boot manager! Ok, reboot with Debian cd1.

3. Installation of Debian went ok. It asked me if I want the boot manager installed - of course I want! Oops: Debian, Debian debug, WinXP, WinNT. No Solaris. Ok, let's see! (It turned out that the WinNT partition was the system recovery one.)

4. I booted with Debian. Started boot manager. Add new - was impossible! It didn't recognize the Solaris OS.

5. I edited manually the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I don't want to boot the WinNT partition directly, so I changed that to Solaris 10 - the boot partition is the small DOS one.

6. Reboot. GREAT! I can choose Solaris now. It booted, and contionued the installation. After all 4 cds, it rebooted again, this time it started - in 640x480, 256 color!

7. Ok, command line login. I ran kdmconfig and selected Xorg. Then I ran /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig and chose the types of various devices, including monitor and video card.

8. Logout. Whoa! It started in high-res, high-color!

So, all three OSs are working now. Of course it was not so simple as I wrote here - I needed to try several things. At times I was even unable to boot my computer with any of the OSs. That's why I suggest that
HAVE A COPY OF KNOPPIX AT HAND!!!!
I hope I helped somebody. Good luck!