FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SUSE and Ubuntu

alkutob
As a biginner , I really appreciate your time to tell me the difference between SUSE and Ubuntu
desertwind
SuSE and Ubuntu are two Operating Systems based on gnu/Linux. In simple words they are two different gnu/Linux distributions.

SuSE was originally a german translation for Slackware, another gnu/linux distro. Now it is owned by Novell.

Ubuntu is based on Debian GNU/Linux, and is a hot cake in linux distros. It is supported by Canonical Ltd.

SuSE Linux
Ubuntu Linux

PS: Yo dont have to use such a large font for your queries. We have no problem with our eyes.
alkutob
Thank you desert wind 4 the explanation .

Sorry if I bother you
devroom
some other difference:

you can het ubuntu free on a cd (did take 3 weeks with me)
to download ubuntu is 1 cd and suse 10 is 5 and suse 10 has some install problem, and if u dont know how to mount your install iso's, just use ubuntu or a different distro
photon
and to add to that, ubuntu is a bit difficult to install and use. if you are totally new to linux, then you will be better off with suse or mandrake. in ubuntu, you have to install all the packages manually(even the essential ones like music player, etc)
devroom
photon wrote:
and to add to that, ubuntu is a bit difficult to install and use. if you are totally new to linux, then you will be better off with suse or mandrake. in ubuntu, you have to install all the packages manually(even the essential ones like music player, etc)

thats not true. u've got to install a mp3 player and dvd player. and u have stuff like open office, firefox, blablabla...
Revvion
And if you run in to any problems http://ubuntuguide.org/ will help sure its about the version 5.04 but its still pretty muts the same way on the howto's
budazz
i never tried this two os...
charliehk
Debian and Ubuntu are both non-commercial distributions, and they are alike. What are their difference? Which one is preferred?
grantmaster
Testing ubuntu right now and it's pretty friendly.

The install took a while but then so does windoze (approx 1.5 hrs).

Installing programs is a snap, it uses synaptic (in windoze terms "windows installer"). Not true about the manual installs...

Seems to run about twice as fast as windozeXP and I'm testing on a 900 mhz computer.

Anyway the thing about both of these distros is that they are trying to bring Linux to the Common man, and ubuntu is almost there...
anubis26
Using both distros, i have found the following things

Suse uses KDE, Ubuntu uses Gnome
it is the graphical interface, and generally KDE is better

Ubuntu is harder to use, but more powerful

Suse is slower but has more packages (programs) preinstalled

Suse is easier to install, it is more user friendly

Suse is better for n00bs, Ubuntu is more for intermediate-advanced users

cheers,
anubis
garvalf4
SuSE and Mandriva are good distro for beginners. Ubuntu is not so user friendly in my opinion. The most versatile are Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, but they are harder to install and maintain.
ocalhoun
SuSE, after starting X11, will give you a choice of a slew of window managers including KDE (default), Gnome, windowmaker, enlightenment, and half a dozen older ones.
That way you can choose what to use.
I normally use KDE, and it, not SuSE is what slows your system. I find SuSE to be much faster running windowmaker (my 2nd favourite).