FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Clinton: NSA Eavesdropped on U.S. Calls

S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005 10:10 p.m. EST

Clinton NSA Eavesdropped on U.S. Calls

During the 1990's under President Clinton, the National Security Agency monitored millions of private phone calls placed by U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries under a super secret program code-named Echelon.

On Friday, the New York Times suggested that the Bush administration has instituted "a major shift in American intelligence-gathering practices" when it "secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States to search for evidence of terrorist activity without [obtaining] court-approved warrants."

But in fact, the NSA had been monitoring private domestic telephone conversations on a much larger scale throughout the 1990s - all of it done without a court order, let alone a catalyst like the 9/11 attacks.

In February 2000, for instance, CBS "60 Minutes" correspondent Steve Kroft introduced a report on the Clinton-era spy program by noting:

"If you made a phone call today or sent an e-mail to a friend, there's a good chance what you said or wrote was captured and screened by the country's largest intelligence agency. The top-secret Global Surveillance Network is called Echelon, and it's run by the National Security Agency."

NSA computers, said Kroft, "capture virtually every electronic conversation around the world."

Echelon expert Mike Frost, who spent 20 years as a spy for the Canadian equivalent of the National Security Agency, told "60 Minutes" that the agency was monitoring "everything from data transfers to cell phones to portable phones to baby monitors to ATMs."

Mr. Frost detailed activities at one unidentified NSA installation, telling "60 Minutes" that agency operators "can listen in to just about anything" - while Echelon computers screen phone calls for key words that might indicate a terrorist threat.

The "60 Minutes" report also spotlighted Echelon critic, then-Rep. Bob Barr, who complained that the project as it was being implemented under Clinton "engages in the interception of literally millions of communications involving United States citizens."

One Echelon operator working in Britain told "60 Minutes" that the NSA had even monitored and tape recorded the conversations of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond.

Still, the Times repeatedly insisted on Friday that NSA surveillance under Bush had been unprecedented, at one point citing anonymously an alleged former national security official who claimed: "This is really a sea change. It's almost a mainstay of this country that the NSA only does foreign searches."

http://www.newsmax.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/18/221452.shtml

Oh, dammit!

If this gets out, the Lieberals will be looking awfully stupid for trying to drum up old and busted actions by the Pres when those actions have been taking place since before Bush took office.
maclui
If the two last presidents have been spying on thir own citizens, why no law has been applied to any or both of them? Is there something with US citizens that laws are systematically violated and no one does nothing to stop it? is the government that powerful? that is the way the system works? OR may be there is no law against it? At least no one can complain that the US government does not listen to their people.
i_am_mine
OMFG! Clinton eavesdropped on thousands of Americans and broke their right to privacy,.....SO LETS DO IT TOO ! Or for that matter...Clinton pulled his pants down and got busy in the White House...Bush can do it too. Nixon had his scandal....Bush can do it too !

Is that it?

Are you going to justify Bush's right to infringe on the rights of the American people because someone's already done it and gotten away with it?

Truly...
...Pathetic.

What're you gonna argue with next? Clinton didn't take care of National Security so why should Bush? Or that you Bush isn't responsible for the economy either?

Ofcourse none of these things have anything to do with him, I mean, he's just the President Of The United States Of America and The Chief of our Military Establishments, I mean, that doesn't have anything to do with running to country, and if it does....(points finger to the last few Prezs) its all THEIR fault.
i_am_mine
I was just reading through some posts that I had missed while I was gone...
and this one stood out, and by answering it I'd also do justice to what I had said earlier to GDG and IslamicThinker in the Islam discussion, that I'm not isolating Islam but only stating the truth, and I would do the same for any other religion.

Here is a reply to s3nd k3ys:

s3nd k3ys said:
Quote:
[t]hen why the passages in the Q'ran that I interpret to mean convert or die?

For the arguement I could ask you the necessity of the following verses from the bible? :

Quote:
God will kill the Egyptian children to show that he puts "a difference between the Egyptians and Israel." 11:7

In full:

Quote:
11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
11:6 And there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it any more.
11:7 But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the LORD doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.

"He who sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed." If this commandment is obeyed, then the four billion people who do not believe in the biblical god must be killed. 22:20

In Full:

Quote:
22:20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Do push a point that compares your religion with another's when you do not have enough knowledge of your own religion.If you think Islam alone harbors agression then you obviously do not know the close relationship Christianity shares with it.
gonzo
[quote="i_am_mine"]

s3nd k3ys said:
Quote:
[t]hen why the passages in the Q'ran that I interpret to mean convert or die?

For the arguement I could ask you the necessity of the following verses from the bible? :

Quote:
God will kill the Egyptian

And if you quoted from the new testament I'd answer you. Yours is a "new" revelation from "god". Interestingly muslimism doesn't renounce the old testament. why are you attacking your own foundation?

"Convert or die" is an underlying theme of the koran. Killing egyptians is not an underlying theme to the old testament.

thanks for playing
i_am_mine
Let me play a little more, it was just getting fun...
Quote:

The "full" quote, according to the NASB translation of the Bible, reads (Jesus speaking):

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household." (Matthew 10:34-36, NASB)

Another, similar, quote reads (Jesus speaking):

"Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three..." (Luke 12:51-52 NASB)

Many verses in the New Testament (NT) can be seen as critical of Jews, in particular the Pharisees, the form of Judaism that became dominant after the destruction of the Temple in 70 C.E. The most famous verse in this respect is Matthew 27:25, which states "Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children". Other notable passages ascribe blame for Jesus' execution to the Jewish Sanhedrin (dominated by another group of Jews, the Saducees) and portray the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate as an unwilling authority forced to comply with the desires of a Jewish crowd.

Also:

Subject: Intolerance

Quote:
23:24 Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.

23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth

24:23 And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.
[ contrary to popular notion the act of stoning-to-death is not limited to Islam ]

2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

These are but a few.

Subject:Violence
Quote:

2:11 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brethren.

[ Hope that solves your egyptian doubt ]

2:12 And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand.

Subject: Absurdity [ Incest ]
Quote:

19:30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters. (19:30-3Cool
19:31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
19:32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
19:33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
19:34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
19:35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
19:36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. What the Bible says about incest, family values, and fathers
19:37 And the first born bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
19:38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

I quote the above not as a slur to religion but merely to lay the facts before you.

Thanks for playing.

P.S I can't get rid of that smiley, too much work editing.Completely unintentional.
i_am_mine
And yes, I agree Convert Or Die is the underlying theme in Islam, all I'm saying is the idea exists in Christianity as well.

Sad.
Srs2388
well, actually the government has a system to where one part dosn't get all the power so, it can't get "real" bad
I think they shoudn't do that unless.......
they have reason so suspect that there a terrorist and/or are planning to destroy something or kill someone.
If someone does, they hear that and they dont think its a hoaxe they can stop it... but its really sad that the world has came to this, calls have to me easedropped on because of the stupididty of some certain people
atomictoyz
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Quote:
Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005 10:10 p.m. EST

Clinton NSA Eavesdropped on U.S. Calls

During the 1990's under President Clinton, the National Security Agency monitored millions of private phone calls placed by U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries under a super secret program code-named Echelon.

On Friday, the New York Times suggested that the Bush administration has instituted "a major shift in American intelligence-gathering practices" when it "secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States to search for evidence of terrorist activity without [obtaining] court-approved warrants."

But in fact, the NSA had been monitoring private domestic telephone conversations on a much larger scale throughout the 1990s - all of it done without a court order, let alone a catalyst like the 9/11 attacks.

In February 2000, for instance, CBS "60 Minutes" correspondent Steve Kroft introduced a report on the Clinton-era spy program by noting:

"If you made a phone call today or sent an e-mail to a friend, there's a good chance what you said or wrote was captured and screened by the country's largest intelligence agency. The top-secret Global Surveillance Network is called Echelon, and it's run by the National Security Agency."

NSA computers, said Kroft, "capture virtually every electronic conversation around the world."

Echelon expert Mike Frost, who spent 20 years as a spy for the Canadian equivalent of the National Security Agency, told "60 Minutes" that the agency was monitoring "everything from data transfers to cell phones to portable phones to baby monitors to ATMs."

Mr. Frost detailed activities at one unidentified NSA installation, telling "60 Minutes" that agency operators "can listen in to just about anything" - while Echelon computers screen phone calls for key words that might indicate a terrorist threat.

The "60 Minutes" report also spotlighted Echelon critic, then-Rep. Bob Barr, who complained that the project as it was being implemented under Clinton "engages in the interception of literally millions of communications involving United States citizens."

One Echelon operator working in Britain told "60 Minutes" that the NSA had even monitored and tape recorded the conversations of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond.

Still, the Times repeatedly insisted on Friday that NSA surveillance under Bush had been unprecedented, at one point citing anonymously an alleged former national security official who claimed: "This is really a sea change. It's almost a mainstay of this country that the NSA only does foreign searches."

http://www.newsmax.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/18/221452.shtml

Oh, dammit!

If this gets out, the Lieberals will be looking awfully stupid for trying to drum up old and busted actions by the Pres when those actions have been taking place since before Bush took office.

George Washington dedicated $40,000 Annually for Domestic Spying. Spying is a the status Quo of every culture. Parents spy on their children as part of their job of being a parent. I'm starting to think the press doesn't use google or the library very much. Thats why they keep thinking GWB is inventing something new. Speed traps are a form of spying.

Peace,
Atomic
S3nd K3ys
i_am_mine wrote:

Do push a point that compares your religion with another's when you do not have enough knowledge of your own religion..

Do push a point that assumes I even practice a religion... Rolling Eyes
i_am_mine
do not push a point that compares a religion you do not practice with another's when you do not have enough knowledge of the relgion you do not practice...

happy?

Laughing

the blandness of politically correct grammar.

*sigh
gonzo
i_am_mine wrote:
do not push a point that compares a religion you do not practice with another's when you do not have enough knowledge of the relgion you do not practice..

why not?

isn't ignorance a sin of your precious wicca, the world's oldest 70 year old religion? So overcoming ignorance would be a good thing, right?

i_am_mine wrote:
And yes, I agree Convert Or Die is the underlying theme in Islam, all I'm saying is the idea exists in Christianity as well.

Sad.

Speaking of gross ignorance... CHRISTianity is founded on the New Testament of the bible. Go ahead and find quotes from the new testament.

And yes CHRISTianity IS INTOLERANT of evil. Christianity is however tolerant of erring people.

thanks for playing
i_am_mine
As requested here is The New Testament quotation:
Quote:

10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
( 10:34-36 Mathew , New Testament )

Oo0o0ops...we've seen that before haven't we?

If ignorance is a sin...then man you've got it coming ! That's exactly the same verse I quoted before, and yet you're ignorant of its origins and ask me to quote from the New Testament where its from !

Get it right next time eh?

Thanks for playing.

Though you might want to practise before you play.

Oh and there's lots more where that came from, from the New Testament that is, maybe you'd like to look it up yourself.