FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Windows 98 dead

vignesh_natraj
I am assembling a Pc for my friend.He wanted to go for a Intel based Pc and we decided P4 3.oGHz with 256 DDR2 ram 120GB HDD and a DVD burner.

We decide a 915G board but the dealer insisted on us going in for 845 chipset saying windows 98 does not run on a 915 based board.

I was not convinced and asked for a 865 based board.Which of the three would you recommend Question
We will be using this one for animation,gaming and video too.Also recommend a Graphics Card and good 17 inch monitor Exclamation
k_s_baskar
S Intel 915 Chipset won't support win98.!!!. lot of win98 lovers who buy 915 motherboard are looking for win98 drivers!!
Naif
845 chipset??? Dude, that chipset is so old now! And it has no support for the DDR2 technology. Whatever you do, dont buy an 845 chipset motherboard. Go in for either a 865 or 875 motherboard. I am aware Windows 98 isnt compatible with motherboards designed for LGA 775 socket but I am not sure about it.

You should be knowing, the 845/865,875 chipset motherboards support socket 478 processors only. I am not sure if whether Intel is still working on development of Socket 478 procesors because of the release of the LGA 775 package. But I will place my bet that chances of upgrading a socket 478 Intel processor will be low.
Naif
By the way, I find this worth mentioning. I dont think the 865 nor the 875 chipsets support DDR2 either.
djcaution
I may be missing something here, but you're getting all that stuf...and running windows 98 on it???

and yes windows 98 is dead. Microsoft doesnt provide any support for it whatsoever anymore
neosree
Ya right, 98 cannot justify that hardware. Using XP (or Vista when it come) with emulators is the only viable option for this newage hardware.
djclue917
Naif wrote:
By the way, I find this worth mentioning. I dont think the 865 nor the 875 chipsets support DDR2 either.

Yes, you are very right. The 865 and 875 chipsets do not support DDR2. The 915G also doesn't support DDR2. However, there are some versions of the 915 family that does support DDR2 technology. The 915GEV and 915PCY based-motherboards are examples of motherboards that does support DDR2.

Also, if you are planning to use the computer for animations or video editing/making, you have to have lots of memory, and I mean a lot.

Editing/making animations or videos would require a lot of RAM and not video RAM. But because you said you would be also using it for gaming, then I suggest you get a high-end nVIDIA or ATI graphics card. Just be sure to get the right combination of the price and the quality of the card to get the most out of your money.

HTH

Darwin
driftingfe3s
I hate windows 98. My dad's computer is still running and it has has so many errors when it boots up. Its also very dificult to find drivers for it to run current hardware.
izcool
If you're wanting to have such high-end newer components in there, why would you want to install an older operating system like Windows 98 on there ? I only use Windows 98 for my Pentium Pro 200MHz machines since it's the newest operating system that I think they can handle. For Pentium 2 and above processors of computers of mine, I use either Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I used to have a Pentium 1 laptop which I got Windows 2000 to install on, but it ran really slow. I wouldn't recommend using such of an old OS for that fast of a system. BTW, just to let everyone know, I speak as I am because I work with a lot of older systems that I own. I have a few newer systems but older machines are much more fun to work with. Smile

- Mike.
Donutey
yea if your going to get a new computer you'd really hinder how well it works by installing windows 98 on it, 98 is great for Pentium II (ish) processors, but not so great otherwise...
TheGeek
why are we using 98 anymore anyway? Atleast go to 2000 with those specs...
Daniel15
Quote:
older machines are much more fun to work with.

I'd definately agree with that Very Happy. I loved playing aroung with a 486 and then a 286 computer that I obtained... Until it stopped working (both, actually) Sad

I've still got a fully working 5.5 inch floppy drive that was made in 1986... I wonder if it would be worth something one day?
Pikokola
Ih you asked, the answer is yes..

And if I'm reading your story, i guess, why did you prefer using win 98? are it's just because you're friendly with it? Forget that.. there so much answer if you asked why did you wants to change into win xp or the later version Very Happy

And about the hardware, I think if you have the budget, You should buy the new one, 915G Smile or maybe the latter version Very Happy, you should think about future, is it able to upgraded more or not (don't be rudiculous by said that you prefer buy new one than upgrading it:()
Quake
Hmm, Windows 98?

Microsoft dropped supprot for that a couple of years ago....

And anyway? You said that you want to do animation and gaming? I do not believe that even the sixth generation Geforce cards support legacy widows systems... And I have yet to see a major Animation software run on 98.

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 - You will need it if you plan to do computer graphics, and yea.... Using old software like that on such new hardware - you are just begging for something not to work....
izcool
Quake wrote:
Hmm, Windows 98?

Microsoft dropped supprot for that a couple of years ago....

And anyway? You said that you want to do animation and gaming? I do not believe that even the sixth generation Geforce cards support legacy widows systems... And I have yet to see a major Animation software run on 98.

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 - You will need it if you plan to do computer graphics, and yea.... Using old software like that on such new hardware - you are just begging for something not to work....

I read on Wikipedia that Microsoft extended Windows 98's support lines because of the popularity on how many computers use Windows 98 still. I think it ends the same time that Windows ME (Millennium Edition) ends.

- Mike.
ashok
[quote="daniel15"]
Quote:

I've still got a fully working 5.5 inch floppy drive that was made in 1986... I wonder if it would be worth something one day?

maybe some day any museum guys will pay u lots of $ for that invaluable piece of history...
chiragcoolboy
Windows Xp rocks. Vista is also coming
corey
If you want to have any fun at all with hardware made after 2001 or 2002, get Windows 2000 or XP. Ask the dealer you're buying the board from how much you can get XP for as OEM with the hardware. It won't be very expensive at all that way. Expect between $50 and $85. Win98 does not support SATA well. It doesn't support drives over 38GB well. It doesn't support NTFS natively without a program that costs more than WinXP, so no files larger than 2GB (no DVD's). Not fun. Why wrestle with reboots after every hardware recognition when you can reduce that to almost nothing with XP?

I don't really mean to add to the negativity, but you have to remember that Windows 98 was developed for 486 and 1st generation Pentiums (p66). It had its day, but now its way out of date.
dzo
Most people look at the new GUI on XP and feel daunted.

My advice, ditch 98, install XP (and standard pack 2) then customise the desktop so it looks like windows 2000 (yes it can be done, just switch everything to "Classic View")

XP running SP2 is the most stable and efficient windows set up I have used, and i've been around since DOS 2 and Windows 3.1.

You can run your old windows 98 software by configuring XP to run them in windows 98 mode.

Don't get worse hardware just because your stuck in 98. Time to upgrade your mind Smile

Remember:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw,
darknesscloud
yea windows 98 id dead i tried windows updateing my old one not even supported anymore same as 95 both dead winme isnt mutch better