FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 98

vignesh_natraj
One of my Computers are running Win98.It has a Celeron 667 MHz processor and 256MB RAM.It comes up with new new errors every time it thinks why shouldn't i trouble my owner.The mouse stops responding and sometimes it ges struck in the windows 98 welocme screen.
Any suggestions please Idea
sprk3
I feel that some files in your win98 are corrupt.Use system check or reinstall win98 your software @ data will be safe.
k_s_baskar
If reinstalling doesn't work. Check the Cooling fan is working properly.
You need to check the RAM also~!.

Very Happy
argha
Try to check the control panel -> systems -> device Manager -> for any I/O conflict , and make sure the windows system files are Ok, IF you get a erroe mesage or Ble screen then I guess check your RAM and you CPU Fan over heating of the CPU can also result in hanging..
izcool
I have a spare computer that's running on a Pentium 3 Processor at 667MHz (not a Celeron like your's) and it works okay with Windows XP Professional. Might want to update the Operating System on it, as I think Windows 2000 works with Pentium 2 machines and up. I believe that Celerons started with Pentium 2's originally, so Windows 2000 might be your best bet. Since Celerons are the cheaper versions of the Pentium, Windows XP might not be good for it. In my opinion, try a newer operating system (like Windows 2000, which is much more reliable and stable than Windows 98 ) which might lessen your headaches.

- Mike.
classv4
Go to XP...
It will works...
KHO
98 has done this to me alot, l dinally got tired of fixing the problem for only a little while, and upgraded to XP, l have yet to regret it. XP is much faster, and more reliable. lf your computer can handle it and you have the money to go get a copy of it, l highly recomend it.
The Mazzter
izcool wrote:
I have a spare computer that's running on a Pentium 3 Processor at 667MHz (not a Celeron like your's) and it works okay with Windows XP Professional. Might want to update the Operating System on it, as I think Windows 2000 works with Pentium 2 machines and up. I believe that Celerons started with Pentium 2's originally, so Windows 2000 might be your best bet. Since Celerons are the cheaper versions of the Pentium, Windows XP might not be good for it. In my opinion, try a newer operating system (like Windows 2000, which is much more reliable and stable than Windows 98 ) which might lessen your headaches.

- Mike.

I'm running XP on a PII, 256mb. So, why wont it work on a Celeron 667?
matt87
classv4 wrote:
Go to XP...
It will works...

I don't think he would be good going with XP. XP is definetly the way to go but when you system barely meets the requirements its not going to be that valuable to you.
Zyrobot
Upgrade your computer. your computer need Ram and stability Windows Wink
Ping
Yes if you are still running 98 perhaps its time for an overhaul. An upgrade sounds in order to get things up to speed :S
James Bond-007
My suggestion is to get a new computer immeadiately. PERIOD Wink
JayBee
win 98 is the good choice, because nobody is finding security holes (i mean hackers and other like this)

i was runnig winXP profi on celeron 350MHz, 192MB ram with PCchips motherboard and it warks fine, i think every PC is better than this.

when I had problems with win98 and when it wasn't VGA, RAM, or badblocks on HD, i usualy want to delete windows directory and install it again, because reinstalation never solve the problem, form me
but i backup fonts :) , ini files, and some other files, but i dont remeber it, because it is so long :(

good luck ;)
izcool
The Mazzter wrote:
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

I'm running XP on a PII, 256mb. So, why wont it work on a Celeron 667?

I once ran Windows XP on a Pentium 2 machine @ 333MHz and it was SLOOOWWWW. I think Windows 2000 is the best bet since it's one step down from Windows XP and works just as good.

- Mike.
DX-Blog
Microsoft came with a sollutin for that... XPe or something, the light version of XP Razz. But now just the question.. who will pay hundreds of bucks to install a new OS on a crappy system?

As for the TS. Are you using 98 regular, or 98SE? For an old system I personally find 98SE to be the best option available, it's stable, hardly gives any problems and well yeh. It's basically the best thing microsoft has had in the pre-XP age, aside from win 2K, but that's more developed as a server/company OS.
neomax
I think you must upgrade to Xp....
Leave the oldies behind....
justinrs32
Well i would give you some tips, but I'm sure with everyone else's you have allready got the problem fixed. The only thing i would suggest now is maybe try upgrading to 2000 or XP.. Smile

Good luck!

-Justin
SoftStag
Personally with the spec of system you are using, I would stick to Windows 98. One drawback I find with Windows 98 is that in time it gets bogged down and starts to crash, much like you are reporting. If you know what you are doing you can spend hours stripping the registry and tuning your system to make it run smoothly again. The better solution is to format the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows. You will need to reinstall all the software packages again, and you will need to back up any data (you do keep a backup anyway, just in case, don't you?) as this will be lost when you format the hard drive.

Once this is done, you should find it all runs smoothly, and probably quicker than it has done for a long time. It should keep you going then for a couple more years.

Too many people opt to upgrade their systems so the latest OS will work, but this is not necessary for many people. A bit of maintenance can keep your system working at no extra cost and still do everything you want it to.
theerawate
1. clear temp file at c:\windows\temp
2. clear IE tempory file .
3. clear recycle bin
4. complete scan virus , and disable access scan .
4.5 complete remove spy-ware .
5. use fix registry program .
eg. registry mechanic , regclean , regmedic ......
6. make more space on your hard drive .
7. make more space on your memory by unload un-importance program .
8. un install un-use program.
9. reinstall Windows
10. format and reinstall windows
11. step down to use Windows95.
12. change to use linux
13. use WindowsXP
14. bring your com to Shop. may some part of you hardware error .
15. up-grade hardware
16. At last , buy new computer .
I hope it will be helpful . Wink Very Happy
riv
Ah, Windows 98... Bad old days. The best advice I could give you is get a new computer, and not just any computer, get a Mac if you can. Or else I'd suggest re-installing Windows, and anyways, you should re-install Windows every few months or else it'll become unstable anyways.