FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP accounts?

Jack Salem
Hi. I'm Jack Salem

I had already posted this whole scenario once before my computer decided it wanted to restart without warning. Almost as if it KNEW I had something important to type and it just wanted to piss me off for using so many system resources at once (my computer SERIOUSLY needs better ram) - but that's a story for another time. Right now, here's my delima -

I'm a music composer. Generally, what I do to get feedback, I go to some of my favorite forums and post some of my recent compositions. I was a little iffy about FriHost, having to go out of my way to do something just for a service that I really don't know is reliable, or fast, or anything. Out of experience, I know if someone had to download 4-5mb worth of mp3 at a pace of 5kb per second (thank you geoshitties) people will not download and critique. Then I realized "Hey, this might be the perfect environment. I do have a lot of questions anyway so if I don't find what I'm looking for, at least I'll get a lot of questions answered". In the past I used a friend's FTP account. The two of us were collaborating on a C++ game. The game's production never really left the ground and eventually the project was discontinued. Eventually, the FTP account I used depleted out of existance. That brings me here.

I don't have much web master experience. I plan on creating/promoting my own website at some point but before I could do that, I need to understand something. The FTP program I use is called FTP Explorer (cheap, I know). In the past, the person that gave me the space just gave me a gif file whith the values filled in and I just copy them. I don't have that anymore so what I need is a simple overview of what the values mean:

Here they are:

Profile Name
Host Address
Login
Password

I really need to know what they are and how I should get an account up. Thank you for your time.
n0obie4life
I really wanted to type a long post to answer your question, but apprantly I can't.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/account.php <- click here to request an account once you meet the requirements.

Also, Frihost recommends using Filezilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net) for best use Wink

The four fields will be filled with this once you are hosted with frihost

Host - frih.net
Username - <your directadmin username>
Password - <your directadmin password>
Daniel15
Quote:
I was a little iffy about FriHost, having to go out of my way to do something just for a service that I really don't know is reliable, or fast, or anything. Out of experience, I know if someone had to download 4-5mb worth of mp3 at a pace of 5kb per second (thank you geoshitties) people will not download and critique.

Well, I'll tell you, from testing out Flash animations on my website, downloads off FriHost's servers max out my internet connection (1.5Mb/s ADSL, in other words, ~160 Kilobytes/s).
KHO
Yes, drop any doubts you have about FrihHost, as long as you don't plan on having a site for illegal downloading, it is by far the best server l have ever seen for free (and even better than alot of paid services).

But make sure you have permission to host any media you plan on making available, thats the only problem l have is that l can't post a bunch of .mp3 files because l don't own the copyright for them Neutral
Jack Salem
Oh, I'm not worried about copywrite. I've never uploaded something that wasn't of my own creation and I doubt I ever will.

Anyway, thanks guys! Some things are starting to become a lot more clear to me after being around here - and I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with FriHost. I think one of the main reasons for my doubt was the fact that last time I went out and looked for some good web space I was led on w ild goose chase running from account to account. They were all either too incredibly slow, did not offer much space, or simply did not fit the requirments I need. Of course I was willing to pay for my own space eventually but somehow I felt I didn't want to do that before discovering that I really didn't have to.

Daniel: I went to your website (very nice graphical interface BTW) and was relieved to find that everything offered fast downloads. I downloaded some of your freeware. Still unsure what they do to be honest but I just loved the download times.

N00b4Life: I'm glad you told me about that. I always knew I needed an update in software. I just never knew where to start as I was relatively hapy with what I had...but I'll trust that this will be much better than what I use Cool .
alkutob
I got useful information from you all ,,thank you