FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Classic Films

fredsanford
Does anyone have any classic film favorites?

I like to watch old movies a lot. For some reason I think a lot of the classic actors/actresses were better. Their are not many of todays film stars who come close to Bette Davis. She could probably take on any role imaginable. Bogart is also one of my favorites, although he was not as vesatile. Edward G. Robinson is another who I think was outstanding.
indeedwrestling
"12 Angry Men" blew me away when I first saw it a few years ago. Sidney Lumet knew how to create such amazing effects with such subtle techniques. For instance, he actually made the room become smaller and smaller as the debate went on as a way of heightening the tension in the room. There hasn't been many films with so much dialogue made in the past twenty years that is nearly as moving. _Insider_ comes to mind, but that's the exception.
serazat
12 Angry Men Stalag 17 and Paths of Glory are some of favorite classic movies.
The Third Man The Maltese Falcon The Bridge on River Kwai are some of those I hated.
ylmun
"Mildred Pierce" The ending was a surprise, but I admit I liked it because I read the book first.

I also rented the Criterion Collection DVD of "The Killers" which includes the 1946 version with Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner (growwwwl! Aooooooogah! Humana, Humana) and the 1960's garishly technicolor and not as good version with Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes and....RONALD REAGAN (The former US president for those of you outside the US and those of you who are historically challenged). It's a great dvd for this movie.

OK, I read the short story "The Killers" by Ernest Hemmingway as well, so I kinda had an affection for it before I saw the movie.

Oh yeah, "Inherit the Wind". Great movie.
serazat
The Killing is the worst Kubrick movie I guess.
In the Heat of the Night
High Noon
are two average classic movies that I have seen lately.
qazwsx1
ya i have some classic film favourites. it is nice. classic film means that any one can see the movie. Actually now a days classic movies are very rarely. Infact itt is not available and no one ready to made the classic movies.
HoboPelican
qazwsx1 wrote:
ya i have some classic film favourites. it is nice. classic film means that any one can see the movie. Actually now a days classic movies are very rarely. Infact itt is not available and no one ready to made the classic movies.

Am I just very tired or did that not make any sense?

One of my favorites is "To Have and Have Not". People usually think of "The Maltese Falcon" or "Casablanca" when they think of Bogart, but for me this one is the best Bogart film. Bacall and Hoagy Carmichael do a great job in this flick. also.
ne2 Luka
I would agree with you HoboPelican. My favorite classic with Bogart would also be "To Have and have not". It is probably the best Bogart film (in my opinion). It has certainly the best Bacall-Bogart interaction. "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep" are also nice.

The Prize (1963) with Paul Newman and Elke Sommer is also one of the best.

These were all American classics. Kurosawa made many great movies in Japan.

Also (I don't know if these are considered as classics) Sergio Leone's trilogy of spaghetti westerns is one of the best (if not the best) in film making industry.

...According to my taste.
Nigeria
I love the shirley temple movies she was so cute and entertaining to watch.I have all of them on DVD.In my openion Shirley and her movies will always be the best.
tkGER
I think psycho was the best movie I ever saw, and it's definitely a classic. I saw it again some days ago and it was still shocking to hear that music Twisted Evil

Certainly my favourite so far.
desertwind
If anybody get a chance, they must watch the following B/W films.

He Who Must Die
Two Half-Times in Hell
pudovkin
"Maltese falcon" it just great, as "The big sleep"!
The one I most like is "Long voyage home". A Gregg Toland's piece of art.
(there is also "Citizen Kane" and "Scarface", among US classic titles...)